IGNORED

Magnavox Odyssey² games...

Hi, I am getting a Magnavox Odyssey² console and I currently have four boxed games:

Alien Invaders-Plus!

K.C.'s Krazy Chase

Type & Tell

Monkeyshrines

Pick Axe Pete

Matchmaker+Logix+Buzzword (All on one cartridge)

And am very excited to get the system some time soon. (My mom said after she gets her credit card paid off, since I am gonna buy the system off Ebay with credit card)

I would like to know if any of you peoples could tell me what your favourite games are and recommend some to me maybe. Thanks.

You have two good one's in Pick Axe Pete and KC's Crazy Chase. I would also recommend:

Turtles!

Killer Bee's!

KC Munchkin!

Attack of the Timelord! (its even better with the voice module)

UFO!

Frogger!

PT Barnums Acrobats!

Atlantis

Demon Attack

Also several collector released proto's and homebrews are good, if you can find them:

Tutankham

Spiderman

KTAA (Kill The Attacking Aliens, my personal fave)

Robot City

Amok

Shark Hunter

*several others are good but these are all I own or have played.

you have some of the better titles. get UFO (challenger series). some of the original releases had some interesting quirky titles , thunderball (pinball like), invaders from hyperspace, and a few sports games i am pretty fond of like alpine skiing and volleyball. And of course the master strategy series games, keep in mind that most of those early O2 games are best played with a 2nd player.

Although frogger and qbert are titles worth getting, i wont suggest them only because they are not likely to be had as easily and as cheap as the former games.

cheers

lee

Freedom Fighters is a very cool game.

It's like playing defender in outer space mode all the time.

Im currently trying to get a Wiz of War like game going.

I am also trying to do a cross between Pac Man and Berzerk. :P

...anyway....

as far as 2 player games....

'Take the Money and Run!'

'War of Nerves!'

'Smithereens!'

Are a blast with two people....you can also play these alone against the computer

(if memory serves me correctly.)

Edited by Gorf

Definitely the challenger series of games. Packrat Videogames carries several excellent homebrews as well.

The must-haves of the homebrews:

Planet Lander!

Puzzle Piece Panic!

Mr. Roboto!

KTAA!

There's also a game called Route 66, but I'm not sure where to find/buy a copy.

The others are available at http://www.packratvg.com/

And definitely get yourself a copy of K.C.Munchkin!

Edited by kirin jensen

There's also a game called Route 66, but I'm not sure where to find/buy a copy.

Soon Route66 will be re-released (and better)

Freedom Fighters is a very cool game.

It's like playing defender in outer space mode all the time.

Im currently trying to get a Wiz of War like game going.

I am also trying to do a cross between Pac Man and Berzerk. :P

...anyway....

as far as 2 player games....

'Take the Money and Run!'

'War of Nerves!'

'Smithereens!'

Are a blast with two people....you can also play these alone against the computer

(if memory serves me correctly.)

Hi Gorf, happy to read about more news. :D

Pick Axe Pete is THE game to get for the system if you ask me.

Invaders From Hyperspace is also quite fun.

Still, though, can't go wrong with one of those multicarts. You get to experience the entire library of games and don't need tons of shelf space to do it!

Get a pbig pile of them. They're cheap as heck.

My favorite, though, is Smithereens with The Voice. One of the best party games ever. *insert computer voice* 'C'mon Turkey, HIT IT!' :lol:

Quest for the Rings is a fun board/video game. Nothing else like it!

It's nice to see a thread about this not have a ton of replies saying "burn the system; it stinks." The O2 seems to be a system enjoying something of a softening of public opinion over time.

I think people are coming to terms with the fact that it's not a 2600. Every console of that era gets compared to the 2600, and the O2 was its own beast. When people finally sit down and play the damn thing they realize that a majority of the games are not only playable, but fun! True, it's not as colorful as the 2600, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the good games versus bad games ratio was much higher with the O2 than the 2600.

It's nice to see a thread about this not have a ton of replies saying "burn the system; it stinks." The O2 seems to be a system enjoying something of a softening of public opinion over time.

I think people are coming to terms with the fact that it's not a 2600. Every console of that era gets compared to the 2600, and the O2 was its own beast. When people finally sit down and play the damn thing they realize that a majority of the games are not only playable, but fun! True, it's not as colorful as the 2600, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the good games versus bad games ratio was much higher with the O2 than the 2600.

Part of it is also that O2 games are often so different from their source material that they seem disappointing to an Atari fan wanting a game that merely imitates an arcade game. Pick Axe Pete! may be an attempt to imitate what made Donkey Kong great, but they play completely differently and playing PAP like it's DK could leave you with a very unfavorable impression of PAP.

Many others look worse for being two-player games that you don't have a second player for: Invaders from Hyperspace,Blockout/Breakdown, Monkeyshines and War of Nerves are all fun two-player experiences, but only as two-player games.

Still, the best are often stunning, with great game play, voice synthesis, surprisingly good graphics (check out the Time Lord in Attack of the Time Lord or the explosions in Freedom Fighters or Killer Bees in general), actual level editors and high score entry. Even the homebrews have been a lot of fun.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the good games versus bad games ratio was much higher with the O2 than the 2600.

Well, in fairness, there weren't that many Odyssey 2 games to begin with, even including European Videopac exclusives, whereas the 2600 easily has hundreds of unique titles.

Still, though, yeah...go Odyssey. :)

Somewhat off-topic: Has anyone else noticed a sudden (as in, almost overnight) upsurge of Odyssey 2 love around here? It seems every other thread is about the Odyssey 2, or the Odyssey 2 is being mentioned relatively frequently in threads about favorite these and thats. Not that I'm complaining, of course; Odyssey was my first classic gaming love, and it's awesome that this system finally seems to be getting recognized for its own merits, and not disparaged for the merits of others. Better late than never, right?

There are a few things superior about the O2 over the 2600.

28 objects on screen VS 2.

No cycle cost background.

The built-in keyboard alone is to me the smartest thing Magnavox did!

You wont touch the strategy games on the O2....they are a new world

above anything on the 2600. Specifically the board games.

The O2 has a much wider potential for expansion than does the 2600.

Edited by Gorf

You could have added the Voice as well.

It's a pity that the O2 never got a port of Gorf or Wizard of Wor or Sinistar or Berzerk(yeah, I know, we got Amok! - with no Voice support...grr) or Space Fury or...

The O2 also has better movement on many of its games. And who doesn't love entering their name when they get the high score.

• 2 weeks later...
You could have added the Voice as well.

It's a pity that the O2 never got a port of Gorf or Wizard of Wor or Sinistar or Berzerk(yeah, I know, we got Amok! - with no Voice support...grr) or Space Fury or...

The O2 also has better movement on many of its games. And who doesn't love entering their name when they get the high score.

Im working on the Wiz of Wor port "The Wizar Of Odyssey Square" but I am

doing it via emulator at the moment. Sinistar is something someone is working on

actually.

post-3357-1236193911_thumb.png

This is being done by someone known as Rafael, in the O2 forums who is doing some seriously amazing things with the O2.

Im working on the Wiz of Wor port "The Wizar Of Odyssey Square" but I am doing it via emulator at the moment. Sinistar is something someone is working on actually.

Wizard of Wor would seem a pretty good fit for the O2, if one can manage to do a 'raster split' just below the bottom of the main map. The CBS version was playable on the 2600 showing two sprites at once; the O2 version could easily push that to four, and if you could manage to do a raster split it could do a nice job with the scanner as well (show two sets of two sprites side by side to show a 16x8 2-colors-plus-black bitmap). It might be possible to do the scanner with a bunch of period characters in close proximity, but I'm not sure the system would render those correctly.

Im working on the Wiz of Wor port "The Wizar Of Odyssey Square" but I am doing it via emulator at the moment. Sinistar is something someone is working on actually.

Wizard of Wor would seem a pretty good fit for the O2, if one can manage to do a 'raster split' just below the bottom of the main map. The CBS version was playable on the 2600 showing two sprites at once; the O2 version could easily push that to four, and if you could manage to do a raster split it could do a nice job with the scanner as well (show two sets of two sprites side by side to show a 16x8 2-colors-plus-black bitmap). It might be possible to do the scanner with a bunch of period characters in close proximity, but I'm not sure the system would render those correctly.

post-3357-1236223253_thumb.png

The radar, lives and enemies and enemy fire = 12 characters....there are 12 hardware

character objects all of which can only use the system font as images.

4 enemies( the men characters)

2 enemy shots at a time(2 periods the same color as the enemy that fire them)

4 enemies radar blips (four period characters)

2 live counts characters( single numeric charcater)

The two scores are using the 4 quad character objects.

The players and thier missiles are using the 4 image redifinable sprite objects

The backdrop is the hardware grid.....not one object need be reused and the result

so far aint too shabby if I might say so myself. :)