IGNORED

Nintendo DS R4 Card?

iratanam

I just got an Acekard 2 from this place:

http://www.r4dsusa.com/Acekard2/Acekard2--p9.html

I ordered it and got it about a week later. It works nice, but it did not have a label like the picture shows. The Acekard is better than the r4 because it can accept SDHC cards up to 16 GB while the R4 can only accept up to 2 GB and it is only $4 more.

The site I gave you a link for also sells the R4.

Edit:

I payed by credit card, I'm not sure this place accepts MO or check.

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

My son is asking for a R4 card for his Nintendo DS(s). Are they any good, and can anyone recommend a good site to buy them from one that doesn't use Paypal as I refuse to do the paypal thing.

Thanks!

r4 is outdated and is not officially supported anymore. You want a TTDS or Acecard. The TTDS is probably the most popular card right now and it cost 7 dollars. I hate to say it, but your best bet is ordering from Deal Extreme using Paypal. It's only 7 dollars on paypal then delete your pp account. Then go on over to Buy.com and get a Kingston 4gb micro sd for 10 bucks and you are all set, except the wait which will be 2 1/2 to 3 weeks, but it's worth it.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

I just seen this one.

http://watertown.craigslist.org/ele/1026854179.html

Does nintendo even make money from games anymore?

Despite appearances the people who use such devices are the minority, trust me Nintendo makes tons of $$$$$. Sure being able to play copied games cuts into some profit (not as much as they would claim I am sure) but piracy has been around since the beginning in one form or another. The big companies will go on trying to defeat it and will continue to fail...........

as has been said above, r4 is very much outdated by newer cards. I've been running one since launch-ish, and just purchased a knockoff r4 that adds sdhc (the price was right and I could keep my old filesystem)

it works well enough for me, but if I were just starting to get into it, I'd cough up the extra $5 or so and get a more modern card

I've got one of those high capacity R4 cards. Excellent bit of kit. Have installed a few emulators on it (8 bit only, the DS struggles with anything else), FTP software and Doom DS.

The ZX Spectrum emulators and SCUMMVM DS are superb. Stella is good but pretty slow.

Don't think I'll be playing DS games on it, they're just not as interesting as the old stuff.

Oh, and the OS is skinnable which is a plus.

Thanks for the input and suggestions, He insisted on a R4 and not any of the other suggestions, so I ordered him a R4DS Ultra (they had like 3 different R4's) from www.r4dsusa.com the Ultra uses mini sd's upto 16 gig. I will let everyone know if anyone is interested on how it works.

Thanks Again.

Aside from the SDHC thing, there's just a few minor differences between these cards. They all play DS games, they all play Moonshell, they all play DLDI patched games/emulators... I have an R4 and a CycloDS and frankly, I think I like the R4 slightly better. It's still the most popular card and definitely the poster child for flash cards!

Aside from the SDHC thing, there's just a few minor differences between these cards. They all play DS games, they all play Moonshell, they all play DLDI patched games/emulators... I have an R4 and a CycloDS and frankly, I think I like the R4 slightly better. It's still the most popular card and definitely the poster child for flash cards!

The main difference as I see it is the firmware. How often does the manuf update their firmware to support new games. Especially with a lot of games coming down the pike lately that feature anti-piracy checks and won't run unless the firmware is modified this becomes the important issue.

If it's not too late, I'm going to say this: Don't but the R4!

The R4 is pretty much outdated right now, since the R4 team has given up on the development and updates. I personally own an R4, and some games (the list increases) will start to get compatibility errors with the cart. The only way to fix it is to use custom firmware, which will require patching, and lots of technical stuff that might fix the problem. If you're buying it just to play older DS games, then it's a good buy at around $15 (considering it isn't a fake - there are many many R4 clones out there) , but otherwise I'd look towards the CycloDS, which is priced at $45-50, but the team provides constant updates and has a good support site.

I'm not too sure about this, but I think the AceKard is open-source, which means the community can add fixes to the firmware when needed. The CycloDS is not open-source, but I believe it looks better, and has a handful of other features. I would recommend going to gbatemp.net and ask the guys there for an official comparison. I also think that the CycloDS is a tad more expensive than the AceKard, though I might be wrong.

The R4 arrived today and it works and does all it claims to. It came in a Retail Box (if you can actually call it retail) which contained the card, a nice keychain case, and a micro-sd card reader. The only gripe my son had about it so far is on the back of the box it says it comes with a cd version of the user manual. Well it didn't contain a cd version of the user manual, nor software, so we had to goto www.r4ds.com (not the site it was purchased from) and download the software and a electronic version of the manual.

I was thinking of getting the Acekard 2. What does CycloDS do that the Acekard 2 doesnt?

The CycloDS Evolution has an in-game menu where you can save state, activate slow motion, read text files (good for walkthroughs and such), enable/disable cheats (Acekard 2 supports cheats as well, but I don't think you can enable/disable at will like this), and adjust LCD brightness.

The CycloDS also has full support for the EZFlash V 3-in1 card... this is a device that fits in the GBA slot and lets you play GBA games, functions as a memory expander for use with Opera, and also provides rumble support. The only other card that seems to support this device is the EZFlash V itself.

Recently, the CycloDS added support for DS-GBA game linking for games like the Pokemon series. I've never tried this out, and I'm not sure if it requires a real copy of the GBA game, or if you can load a ROM into the EZFlash at the same time. I think some other flash cards support this too, but not sure about the Acekard.

One of the main reasons people liked the CycloDS is that the guys who work on it are active in the community, and generally respond to issues faster, and release updates more often, and in english so no need to translate (Most of the other cards are done by people in Hong Kong or something, so there are sometimes some engrish issues). Though honestly, the Acekard firmware seems to be updated fairly often too, so I don't know how big a deal this really is.

In my opinion, the CycloDS also has a better build quality... though still could be better.

The CycloDS is a lot more expensive though, so it's up to you to decide if any of the above is actually worth the money. The first card I got was the M3 Perfect, which at the time cost me something like $80 (including Passcard), so when I decided to upgrade, I didn't mind paying $50 to get the best. But when I found the Acekard 2 for $12, I bought that too just for the hell of it.

--Zero

Where'd you find an Acekard for $12?

EDIT: Never mind, it's on DealExtreme for slightly less than that price. By the way, if you guys are planning to upgrade to the DSi in the near future, get the Acekard specifically designed for that system. It's six dollars more, but at least you'll be prepared for the upgrade.

Edited by Jess Ragan

By the way, if you guys are planning to upgrade to the DSi in the near future, get the Acekard specifically designed for that system. It's six dollars more, but at least you'll be prepared for the upgrade.

I'd hold off on that for now... it's possible (and in my opinion, extremely likely) that Nintendo will change the BIOS for the North American version, rendering the Acekard 2i useless. If you're hell-bent on getting a DSi, wait until you see some tests and confirmation that it'll work before you drop the money on a flash card that won't work.

--Zero

By the way, if you guys are planning to upgrade to the DSi in the near future, get the Acekard specifically designed for that system. It's six dollars more, but at least you'll be prepared for the upgrade.

I'd hold off on that for now... it's possible (and in my opinion, extremely likely) that Nintendo will change the BIOS for the North American version, rendering the Acekard 2i useless. If you're hell-bent on getting a DSi, wait until you see some tests and confirmation that it'll work before you drop the money on a flash card that won't work.

--Zero

I had a friend that said pretty much the same thing. In fact, he went one step further and suggested that Nintendo could send remote system updates to the DSi, forcing card manufacturers to constantly update their firmware to keep up.

I received my shipment today.. Minus the 2G MicroSD card. I e-mailed them about it and they apologized and will ship it today. Meanwhile I went to the local Best Buy store and picked up a PNY 4GB MicroSDHC card and loaded it up with 88 games..

I'm like a kid in a candy store, Don't know what to try first. I forgone the AceKard own file system for the AK-IO file system thats mentioned over on the GBATemp boards..

Other than the 2G card not being with the shipment (fast BTW ordered on friday received Tuesday with the 3rd option checked for S&H), I'm having a blast with this thing. I'll probably recommend Stuffs4Kids to others especially when my card comes in.