IGNORED

Rock Band 2

Tempest

Can anyone offer some advice as to which of these guitar based games to get first? I currently own a Wii and I'm getting a 360 soon. I can't tell the pros and cons of all these different Guitar Hero games VS Rock Band 1 and 2. I'm probably more interested in the guitar aspect btw.

I'd say GH first if you want to do solo guitar. RB is fun if you have more people to play with, but as I pointed out the guitar parts are pretty simple. Start out with GH3 on the 360 would be my recommendation.

Tempest

The bad thing about Rock Band is that when you fail or restart a song you lose fans. It's not that many, but still it's an unnecessary penalty and keep me from wanting to take chances.

That's what the practice option is for. Or, if you prefer the crowds, you can play any song outside of the tour once you have it unlocked within the tour.

You can always cop out and enable the "No Fail" option as well.

What are the limitations of that? Do you still get stars and fans? I can't imagine that you do.

I haven't tried it myself, so I honestly don't know. The manual seems to imply there aren't any strings attached, though.

What are the limitations of that? Do you still get stars and fans? I can't imagine that you do.

I haven't tried it myself, so I honestly don't know. The manual seems to imply there aren't any strings attached, though.

My main problem isn't failing out on Hard (although a few songs still give me trouble), it's that I can't do those stupid chords on Hard. For whatever reason they just trip me up, and they also kill my fingers (try any Rush song and see). Normally I can 4 star a song on Hard (sometimes 3 if it's harder), but my hand is absolutely dead by the end and I miss a bunch of notes. What I really need is something between Medium and Hard. I can't go back to Medium now, it's too slow!

Tempest

Well, I will say that one thing that becomes absolutely essential in the later difficulties is the hammer on and pull off. Oh, man, do they ever. Practice those things like there's no tomorrow, and get GOOD at 'em. Some songs you absolutely MUST be spot on with them to pass, period. The notes just come too fast to strum correctly (like the first part of that crappy ass Dragonbutt song). Also, on the later difficulty songs, get used to having your fingers on RBYO instead of GRBY, as most songs will rely on more orange notes than green (though there are exceptions).

I dunno, using the pinky is natural as anything to me. The one thing that will always trip me up, though, is REALLY fast changing chords, like from a G/R to a Y/B really quickly. I use my first and third fingers exclusively for chords like that (the second finger and pinky don't do so well in that situation), and on some songs I just can't transition fast enough, and it ends up just KILLING my hand. There was a song in GH3 that had GBO chords. FUCK THAT. I can juuust barely stretch my meathooks out to hit a GO chord, and to add a note in the middle? (I actually have quite large hands, but as said before, my reduction in dexterity makes it difficult to spread my fingers apart that much). I really wish someone would flat out kill whoever thought THAT was a good idead. And film it and put it on youtube so I can enjoy it!

I dunno, using the pinky is natural as anything to me. The one thing that will always trip me up, though, is REALLY fast changing chords, like from a G/R to a Y/B really quickly. I use my first and third fingers exclusively for chords like that (the second finger and pinky don't do so well in that situation), and on some songs I just can't transition fast enough, and it ends up just KILLING my hand. There was a song in GH3 that had GBO chords. FUCK THAT. I can juuust barely stretch my meathooks out to hit a GO chord, and to add a note in the middle? (I actually have quite large hands, but as said before, my reduction in dexterity makes it difficult to spread my fingers apart that much). I really wish someone would flat out kill whoever thought THAT was a good idead. And film it and put it on youtube so I can enjoy it!

I remember a few songs like that. I don't know why they think that GO chords are a good idea, and why on earth would you add another note in there (I have trouble with most 3 note chords unless they're all right next to each other anyway)? I actually gave up hard in GH3 because of that. My hand is pretty large as well (I'm a big guy), and I can barely do reach on some of those chords sometimes. What do people with smaller hands do?

I really wish they made it so you could customize the songs some like no orange notes or no foot pedal notes on drums so people could enjoy the harder difficulties without the pain they cause. :)

Tempest

I actually 5 starred a song on Hard. I got 95% of the notes on Round and Round by Ratt (I only really missed notes during the solos). While it's not one of the hardest songs on RB, it's up there in the tiering. I think I'm getting better, I've learned to trust that my finger is in the right spot (rather than having to feel around or look) and it normally is, and I've learned to slow down a bit on long walking lines of notes (I think I've seen too many people playing Expert and I started going faster than the scrolling was).

Edit: Looks like I finally got my Hard groove on (boy that sounded bad). I'm now 5 starring most things I play and 4 starring the rest. I 5 starred Living on a Prayer, More than a Feeling, Tom Sawyer, and Spoonman (I freaked when the computer picked that one). Most of this stuff isn't that hard, it's just the funky chords that still get me. I have trouble with some stuff in the first tier because they're all chords while I'm breezing through stuff in the second to last tier because it's mostly fast single note parts. Funny how that works out. :)

Tempest

I managed to finish the game and unlock ever song except for one: Visions. No matter what I do I cannot play this song (and it sucks too!), it sort of reminds me of Raining Blood from GH 3 (hated that one too). It doesn't help that they force you to play it on Hard. I wonder if I can get someone online to play it with me and beat it so I have it unlocked. I assume even if I fail out, as long as someone in my band passes it it will be unlocked for me. I know if must have a Medium version because Painkiller did when I played the final showcase on Medium (fun song on Medium). Can anyone help?

Tempest

I finally beat Visions. Heck I even 5 starred it with 100%... on vocals. There was no way I was going to beat this song on Hard guitar (watch some youtube videos, they're insane), but as it turns out the vocals are insanely simple. All you have to do is yell into the micorphone like Nathan Explosion from Deathklok for three minutes and you're good to go. Now that I have the song unlocked I can play it on Medium and well, it still sucks, but at least I can play it. I hate death metal...

That's all of them I think. Feels good to be done.

Tempest

Ok, I actually haven't spent much time with RB2 since I got it, as I focused on GH:WT. I got a chance to tonight, and my overall observation?

Disappointing. VERY disappointing.

There are notes all OVER the place that do NOT belong there. Ramblin' Man has you playing so many notes that don't belong there it's not even funny, as does Carry On Wayward Son. Unbelievable.

The difficulty is just a joke. Hard is too damn easy (almost like Medium difficulty), and the final Expert songs are just too hard. Chop Suey is the most miserable excuse for a song I've EVER seen (well, almost as miserable as that BYOB song in GH, but that could be because that band that made those songs is one of the worst ever formed...). Seriously, what's with the single-chord-single-chord? It's STUPID, no fun to play, and makes my fingers tired almost instanty. Visions, while not the hardest song I've done, is ungodly boring. I just simply quit halfway through because it was just so repetetive and not-fun. The ENTIRE song should have been one long hammer on. Peace Sells is another joke, much like Hangar 18 was in GH2. I don't know why the songs I want to play MOST are the hardest. Ugh. The solos are also nowhere near as fun as in GH:WT. They toss in WAAAAY too many chords. Solos should be single notes!

The track list was just terrible. I hadn't heard of over half the bands on here, and the ones I had heard of, I hadn't heard the songs from them, and I'm a serious music afficionado. Seriously, Elvis Costello? Alanis Morissette? Laughable. Dylan was cool, but come on, get a song we friggin' KNOW in there!

RB 1 was a PHENOMINAL game, far, FAR superior to GH3. I loved almost all the stuff that was in that game, so what happened here? How did they screw this up so badly? If I'm not mistaken, I saw one of the loading screens say something about the "hardest songs in music games are done by Harmonix." ?? That's something to brag about? That should be something to apologize for, not have as a selling point! Fuck you, Harmonix!

Overall, it's a better game than GH3. The drumming is still pretty spot on, no weird out of place notes scattered everywhere just to amp the difficulty, but the guitar parts, which should have been the main meat of the game, really needed work. Even the recent batch of downloadable stuff has been shitty. I was SO looking forward to Dr. Feelgood, but hey, guess what? It's almost unplayable, the notes are so horridly designed. Thanks, Harmonix. Keep on proving WHY you got booted off your own game. Your arrogance is just absolutely astonishing at times.

I personally really enjoy RB2, moreso than 1...

With saying that, I took into the above advice to incorporate my pinky more. Its almost in full use already, and first try I already 4 starred Painkiller on Expert guitar. I got to the point to where my pinky is used to slide from the blue to the orange note, and my hand is much less tired than I was playing before.

I can't wait for GH:M!

The difficulty is just a joke. Hard is too damn easy (almost like Medium difficulty),

Not all of use are RB/Gh experts you know. Although I'll give that the difficulty is easier than GH because you know when I can 5 star a song on Hard it can't be THAT hard.... :D

Chop Suey is the most miserable excuse for a song I've EVER seen (well, almost as miserable as that BYOB song in GH, but that could be because that band that made those songs is one of the worst ever formed...).

Actually I like both of those songs (I even downloaded BYOB for RB). I don't know why, maybe it's because they change tempo so abruptly all the time. And I swear every now and then the singer sounds like Fred Schneider from the B-52's :)

Seriously, what's with the single-chord-single-chord? It's STUPID, no fun to play, and makes my fingers tired almost instanty.

This is one of biggest annoyances with RB. It's VERY chord heavy (usually in the most annoying combinations too), which as you pointed out is no fun to play and makes your fingers tired. I haven't screwed around with GH:WT on Hard yet, hopefully it's better. I do MUCH better when there are less chords and more single notes.

With saying that, I took into the above advice to incorporate my pinky more. Its almost in full use already, and first try I already 4 starred Painkiller on Expert guitar. I got to the point to where my pinky is used to slide from the blue to the orange note, and my hand is much less tired than I was playing before.

Yeah I've started to do this, mostly by accident, but it works most of the time. I can do it for single notes, but holding down for chords is too tough at the moment.

Tempest

GH is much better as far as note placement goes. Even during what should be a wicked hard solo, they use those "connected" notes, and you don't have to strum. Makes it FAR easier. I've finished every single song on GH on Hard with not a single problem, and done 95% of them on Expert (just a few still elude me, Satch Boogie, Hot For Teacher, mostly the final songs of the game). Really the only reason I can't finish Satch Boogie is that section of REALLY fast connected notes. I just can't hit them fast enough. Everything leading up to that is doable.

It's weird, though. Take Sex Type Thing, for instance. In Rock Band, the song is AMAZINGLY fun to play, and one of my favorite in the entire series. In GH Aerosmith, it's just utter shit, and annoying as HELL to even play once. The consistency between games is very erratic. Ramblin' Man for GH is great, and it's one of the worst on RB2. I just don't get it.

Anytime anyone thinks they are king on the guitar, remind yourself that you are not, with this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKQtWar7mqc

That kid is nuts.

That Youtube video with it's 10fps refresh rate doesn't do is movement much justive. I hear the strum bar, but I can't really see is his hand move.

It's a funny genre. Some people get sucked into it and it redefines their gaming. They just don't want to play anything else.

Might be less common around here given that anyone into classic Atari and classic collecting probably has a short attention span while gaming. Although I get into certain titles, it's not like I play them with such fierce determination as to be a competitor.

• 3 months later...

Wow this thread died a me death.

So I've been playing this game all along. And having had knee surgery, it's about the only exercise I've been able to get. Needless to say I am playing drums.

I got a Rock Pedal (rockpedal.com) and that was a huge improvement. Last night I attached a kick drum to it (basically a mini pretend drum) and the improvement is even greater than stepping up to the Rock Pedal. It's awesome. Highly recommended: Rock Pedal + Kicker Drum.

I have the Ion drum set too, which is cool, but I would say you are better off spending the money on the pedal replacement. The Ion drum set is rather bulky.

Anyone else still putting in the hours with this title? Rockband is like a platform unto itself that I return to regularly. Then again, I only get to play games for about 30-60 min a day, 4 or 5 days a week.

Anyone else still putting in the hours with this title?

Yep, still tearing up my Ion drums and everyone else's eardrums. Playing a bit more guitar too, though it still feels like a bit of a cheat. Even so, I can't deny it's fun when you get in the groove.

Zombies and Cranberries this week! Good shtuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Iron Maiden 12 pack for Rock Band!!!!

The live cuts are taken from Maiden's tour documentary Flight 666.

1. Aces High (live)

2. 2 Minutes to Midnight

3. The Trooper

4. Wasted Years

5. The Number of the Beast

6. Run to the Hills

7. Can I Play With Madness

8. The Clairvoyant

9. Powerslave

10. Fear of the Dark (live)

11. Hallowed Be Thy Name (live)

12. Iron Maiden (live)