IGNORED

Recursive Copy for MyDOS

Shawn Jefferson

cc65 includes heap memory allocation functions already. They are sort of "expensive", like the formatted output (printf type functions) though.

Mine are pretty "cheap"! :D They're written in compact assembler and they use a simple linked list, IIRC. You have to remember that Atari CC65 offered nothing like this in the default library. When I get the chance to get into things properly, I'll probably end up merging the best of my SpartaDOS library with the stuff that's already provided. I'm looking forward to getting to grips with the new CC65 once my word processor is finished.

can we have ape directory change support where it hits the directory twice to get ape to switch the directory. where you can set that double request mode for just that drive.

Can you explain in a bit more detail? I'll be happy to add any features I can.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I'll be happy to add any features I can.

I have not been able to copy as Source :H3:*.* . Only been able to copy atr's (i.e.) D2:*.* D3:*.* . This is with the Atari800win 4.0 emulator. Program crashes error code 170 and returns to DUP useing MyDos 4.534.

Does MyDOS normally work with the H: device?

I love your program so far but I had some problems.

- I tried copying a single subdirectory, e.g. D2:ACTION:*.* to D6:.

Result: No activity.

- tried to copy one folder to another folder, e.g. D2:ACTION:*.* TO D6:ACTION:*.*

Results: No activity (whether or not the target folder already exists). No error message. Process completes.

- tried copying all files and folders to a disk which already has some folders with the same name as the source folders

Result: Copy proceeds until the first destination folder matching one from the source is encountered. Copy aborts and

control returns to MyDOS menu. If there was an error message I didn't get to see it. <--- Edit: two lines added

- same as above but this time an existing file on the destination matches one from the source

Result: files are copied until it is time to overwrite the existing file. I then see 2-3 lines of garbled data and then the

words "exists: overwrite". 800XL crashes.

I used my 800XL (w/ Wiztronics 256K), SIO2PC, with AtariSIO/Atariserver serving the files. I tried with 3 different OSes.

I also duplicated the same test with Atari800 emulator (SDL build). Same or similar results.

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1

- tried to copy one folder to another folder, e.g. D2:ACTION:*.* TO D6:ACTION:*.*

Results: No activity (whether or not the target folder already exists). No error message. Process completes.

- tried copying all files and folders to a disk which already has some folders with the same name as the source folders

Result: Copy proceeds until the first destination folder matching one from the source is encountered. Copy aborts and

control returns to MyDOS menu. If there was an error message I didn't get to see it. <--- Edit: two lines added

- same as above but this time an existing file on the destination matches one from the source

Result: files are copied until it is time to overwrite the existing file. I then see 2-3 lines of garbled data and then the

I used my 800XL (w/ Wiztronics 256K), SIO2PC, with AtariSIO/Atariserver serving the files. I tried with 3 different OSes.

I also duplicated the same test with Atari800 emulator (SDL build). Same or similar results.

- Steve Sheppard

Glad to see some testing and feedback on this. As I said, it wasn't well tested. If people actually want to use it, I'll try and finish it over the weekend.

The failure to copy a directory on its own probably means the logic of the program relies (incorrectly) on the presence of a single file in the source directory. Easily fixed.

The failure when copying to a disk containing folders of the same name as on the source disk is simple to diagnose: the program doesn't check for this condition yet. When it does, it will offer the option to merge source files into the exisiting directory, or skip the directory altogether (and to automatically perform the same action thereafter if desired).

Same as above: there's code in there to check for existing files on the dest drive but it doesn't act on the information yet. Easily fixed.

Error reporting code needs major tidying up.

Like I say, if there's a demand to have this finished, I'll be glad to do it. I would still like some algorithmic ideas on how to avoid copying the destination directory into itself when source and destination drives are the same. For example:

Source: D1:*.*

Dest: D1:>BACKUP>*.*

Eventually the program will try to copy the contents of "BACKUP" into itself. Clearly it should avoid this folder. This is easy to program around in the example, but what if the source is "D1:<*.*", etc? Answering my own question here, I think both source and destination paths need to be explicit from the root directory. This will involve picking up the working directory, which I can do.

As for the H: device, the program should be OK with it. The splitpath routine doesn't really care what comes before the colon in the pathname. I'll have a go with it myself over the weekend.

Have just realized something here...

Does MyDOS allow colons as path separators (i.e. instead of ">")??? I assume from the above examples that it does.

If so, it would explain quite few problems. The program only checks for right wedges as path separators...

Edited by flashjazzcat

- Steve Sheppard

Glad to see some testing and feedback on this. As I said, it wasn't well tested. If people actually want to use it, I'll try and finish it over the weekend.

The failure to copy a directory on its own probably means the logic of the program relies (incorrectly) on the presence of a single file in the source directory. Easily fixed.

The failure when copying to a disk containing folders of the same name as on the source disk is simple to diagnose: the program doesn't check for this condition yet. When it does, it will offer the option to merge source files into the exisiting directory, or skip the directory altogether (and to automatically perform the same action thereafter if desired).

Same as above: there's code in there to check for existing files on the dest drive but it doesn't act on the information yet. Easily fixed.

Error reporting code needs major tidying up.

Like I say, if there's a demand to have this finished, I'll be glad to do it. I would still like some algorithmic ideas on how to avoid copying the destination directory into itself when source and destination drives are the same. For example:

Source: D1:*.*

Dest: D1:>BACKUP>*.*

Eventually the program will try to copy the contents of "BACKUP" into itself. Clearly it should avoid this folder. This is easy to program around in the example, but what if the source is "D1:<*.*", etc? Answering my own question here, I think both source and destination paths need to be explicit from the root directory. This will involve picking up the working directory, which I can do.

As for the H: device, the program should be OK with it. The splitpath routine doesn't really care what comes before the colon in the pathname. I'll have a go with it myself over the weekend.

Have just realized something here...

Does MyDOS allow colons as path separators (i.e. instead of ">")??? I assume from the above examples that it does.

If so, it would explain quite few problems. The program only checks for right wedges as path separators...

I've always used the colons. Never even tested Sparta... style >'s.

LOL. I was going to attempt to write this program in Action! but I had barely started before you already completed your core program.

- Steve Sheppard

I've always used the colons. Never even tested Sparta... style >'s.

LOL. I was going to attempt to write this program in Action! but I had barely started before you already completed your core program.

I used MyDOS for years and never once used the colons! :D

You should write one in Action! anyway. It might be better than mine. :)

:) make it a competition, see who can program it the best in their preferred languages! :cool:

We all win!

Exactly! That we we end up with loads of great copiers...

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hello guys

MyDos can use:

Dn:

Dn>

n:

n>

n

not sure about Dn (no colon, no arrow).

(n is any number between 1 and 9. Don't use 0 as it might work and will probably screw up things. This bug is killed in MyDOS 4.55.)

Don't count on > being supported in later versions. The guy who wrote 4.55 beta 3 wants to kill it.

In 4.55 beta 3, :: means "go back one (sub)directory".

BTW if the filename without extender is 8 characters long, you don't need the period between the first 8 characters and the extender. Same goes for *.*, it can be replaced by **.

greetings

Mathy (who needs to get his 8 bit system up and running again)

Hello guys

MyDos can use:

Dn:

Dn>

n:

n>

n

not sure about Dn (no colon, no arrow).

(n is any number between 1 and 9. Don't use 0 as it might work and will probably screw up things. This bug is killed in MyDOS 4.55.)

Don't count on > being supported in later versions. The guy who wrote 4.55 beta 3 wants to kill it.

In 4.55 beta 3, :: means "go back one (sub)directory".

BTW if the filename without extender is 8 characters long, you don't need the period between the first 8 characters and the extender. Same goes for *.*, it can be replaced by **.

greetings

Mathy (who needs to get his 8 bit system up and running again)

Yikes. Time to hit the MyDOS source code to look for an internal OS splitpath routine. Mine is getting more and more complex. :ponder:

That's utterly stupid. Using ">" etc. is compatible with SpartaDOS, which is rather popular. If MyDOS stops recognizing SpartaDOS pathnames, then to write applications running on both systems it will be needed to include special kludges on recognizing the DOS type and fix all the paths the program uses. This IMHO will kill MyDOS.

Internal OS splitpath routine? No idea what you mean.

By "splitpath" (a generic name used in some C I/O libraries), I mean a routine to parse a path name and separate it into drive, path, name and extender. Since MyDOS is very "flexible" with regard to drive number delimiters, and uses (or is about to start using) double-colons to denote parent directories, etc, this adds complexity to any "bespoke" path parsing routine. Mine was designed for SpartaDOS (SDX has its own user-accessible "kernel" parsing routine), but I'm adapting it for MyDOS. If there's already a suitable routine in DOS.SYS, I'll use that instead.

Hello Flashjazzcat

I've been in contact with the guy who made MyDOS 4.55 beta 3 for years. (But unfortunately haven't really talked to him since I bought the IMac)

He told me he wanted to rewrite the parser because as it is, it's pretty complicated to add any extra functionality. Guess that also means using it in different applications would not be easy.

greetings

Mathy

Hello Steve

IIRC Bob Puff introduced the use of > under MyDOS. Guess that would eliminate all versions under 4. I'm pretty sure 4.50 supports it, not sure about versions >= 4 and <= 4.50. I don't know which version of MyDOS was Bob's first.

greetings

Mathy

I've been in contact with the guy who made MyDOS 4.55 beta 3 for years. (But unfortunately haven't really talked to him since I bought the IMac)

He told me he wanted to rewrite the parser because as it is, it's pretty complicated to add any extra functionality. Guess that also means using it in different applications would not be easy.

I'll just go ahead and write my own. Although it's flexible, at least the methodology behind MyDOS pathnames is pretty clear-cut. It will be up to the user at the end of the day to be aware of which MyDOS version they are running and know whether or not to include right wedges in pathnames when typing them into the copier.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...