IGNORED

stereo out on 2600 jr.

noreyn

From what I gathered, Atari produced a 64 pin (RP2A10) ic on the Jr. model.

heres a pic of the board

l_6872bf7639b44165864a1ea018e150d3.jpg

inside the rf sheild

l_fc378c744cb24addb62bbb1df1b501fe.jpg

the rp2a10 chip

l_5d5fbd6d3d574f739e21a70cf30b2548.jpg

There seems to be an open location between the cart pins and the chip. So my research tells me Atari assimilated some chips together and made this one. I hear the NES uses one similar to this chip!

Is there any schematics for the stereo out mod that pins (pun not intended) the audio location? I've searched days and can't seem to find anything other than "C19 resistor or the 12 & 13 tia pins". I found the C19 resistor but that would just give a mono signal, right?

Cool! I have never seen that before. Its like an Atari on a chip accept really old. I will see what I can dig up about this chip.

Man basically zero info about this. Just a old thread in 2001.

http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archiv...8/msg00278.html

I am going to guess you have already seen this. For the audio look for a 18K resistor in series with a .1uF Ceramic cap. One lead of the cap should be connected to two pins (unless they combined them inside this chip) and connected to a 1K pullup.

edit// How rare are these types of Juniors? I would like to pick one up for testing purposes.

Edited by Longhorn Engineer

Funny, I just noticed earlier this morning that there's a similar empty space on my light sixer (ca 1977) pcb. No IC socket, just the solder pads.

From what I have gathered that is was where the Combat rom was going to be placed. Then Atari decided to make it a standalone cart.

Btw can you post all the info thats on that chip? Thanks!

Cool! I have never seen that before. Its like an Atari on a chip accept really old. I will see what I can dig up about this chip.

Man basically zero info about this. Just a old thread in 2001.

http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archiv...8/msg00278.html

I am going to guess you have already seen this. For the audio look for a 18K resistor in series with a .1uF Ceramic cap. One lead of the cap should be connected to two pins (unless they combined them inside this chip) and connected to a 1K pullup.

edit// How rare are these types of Juniors? I would like to pick one up for testing purposes.

I got this one of two from a manager at work. I found out he tossed the other into the garbage!

I see a cap joining three pins (see photo above?), but what I'm looking for is resistor with a brown ring followed with a grey ring, then black?

That same empty location exists on heavy sixers too.

Was there a provision for deselecting it when a cart was inserted?

Saw that as a kid, and thought about soldering a socket in there. Might do it today, if it's not going to break anything. Would be cool to burn a ROM that says, "Power Down, Insert Game", along with My Name and system Serial Number!!

Funny, I just noticed earlier this morning that there's a similar empty space on my light sixer (ca 1977) pcb. No IC socket, just the solder pads.

From what I have gathered that is was where the Combat rom was going to be placed. Then Atari decided to make it a standalone cart.

Btw can you post all the info thats on that chip? Thanks!

Do you mean the pcb. There is no chip in the spot I'm talking about, just pads and traces leading to/from it.

I wonder if I soldered a socket in there and plugged an eprom in if it would work. If I get time, I'll try it.

Do you mean the pcb. There is no chip in the spot I'm talking about, just pads and traces leading to/from it.

I wonder if I soldered a socket in there and plugged an eprom in if it would work. If I get time, I'll try it.

No no the 64-pin rp2a10 chip. There should be a CO number on it. And yes if you solder a game rom there on the board it will work. You just have to figure out a way to switch between cart and onboard rom. To do so you have to pull one of the pins on the rom to ground i think to disable it...

No no the 64-pin rp2a10 chip. There should be a CO number on it. And yes if you solder a game rom there on the board it will work. You just have to figure out a way to switch between cart and onboard rom. To do so you have to pull one of the pins on the rom to ground i think to disable it...

I'll have to pull it apart again tonight to check.

That same empty location exists on heavy sixers too.

Was there a provision for deselecting it when a cart was inserted?

Saw that as a kid, and thought about soldering a socket in there. Might do it today, if it's not going to break anything. Would be cool to burn a ROM that says, "Power Down, Insert Game", along with My Name and system Serial Number!!

that would be totally awesome. It would at least let the user know that the VCS is, in fact, on and working. If you figure out how to switch the ROM in and out, let me know, 'cause I'd actually like to do something like this with my Sears HS. Not that I ever expected to have trouble with the unit... :)

I would look in the lower right hand corner. What does the casing look like? I am going to need two of these for my video mod guides so I need to maximize my chances of finding one.

l_b21645e1912f4190b4e6cf3dda3472d5.jpg

I found the 18k resistor labeled R15. Its connected to a diode at the top where the shadow covers detail. I follow the diode to the 1K resistor. Another 1k resistor, cap... Then... I'm lost.

l_275675c50f9040ccaa8877bdc3e76072.jpg

I hate to say this, but I need to hold off for a week or so. I've neglected my domestic tidiness and my girlfriend is hosting foreign friends this coming weekend... I'll definitely be back at it and hope to have some result. Good or bad, whatever it may be.