IGNORED

What PS3 games are you currently playing?

HammR25

I'm currently playing Resistance: Fall of Man and loving it. I also downloaded 3 on 3 NHL Arcade from PSN and love it too. The game has absolutely no depth but I love checking the crap out of the computer players over and over again. It's kind of like NBA Jam on Ice with powerups and what not.

Edited by HammR25
  • Like 1

I just started playing GRiD last night. UGHHH what a horribly put together game. It seriously has some identity problems! It doesn't know if it wants to be a sim, or an arcade racer..

If you drive like you do in Gran Tourismo, you're too slow. If you drive like an arcade racer you spin out uncontrolably and crash all the time. In fact, it's like the developers knew it was hard to figure out how to drive well in this game and tacked on the replay system at the last minute. Horrid. Racing the 3rd or 4th race in the campaign where you're in the orange lambergini is like pulling teeth.

I'll be trading this game in when I get Street Fighter 4. Ughhh!.. maddening....

I'm *still* playing Battlefield: Bad Company. I'm one of those 'fps haters' (hated amost everything since doom) but damn, going online and blowing big holes in buildings to sniff people out never gets old. highly recommended

I'm also about to order one of the better consumer wheels out there. I have it narrowed down to the logitech g25 and one of the fanatec porsche setups. so gran turismo 5 prologue is about to jump back onto my radar (hopefully they've fixed up online a bit).

I just started playing GRiD last night. UGHHH what a horribly put together game. It seriously has some identity problems!

oddly I have more problems with grid's 'brownish' style than how it plays. though I've only raced the cars in the demo, more powerful ones may be more of a handful than what I saw. (great demo, btw--online enabled, everybody at similar skill level) GRiD's based on the engine used for Dirt, which is hands down the worst rally game *EVER*. no power sliding--what the heck kind of rally game cuts that out? Both arcade and sim rally games have it, but dirt's so 'inbetween' them that it just won't allow sliding. That's in addition to the 'ultra brown' effects in the game. I wish codemasters would just go back to the graphical style they used in Toca 3.

Edited by Reaperman

I just started playing GRiD last night. UGHHH what a horribly put together game. It seriously has some identity problems!

oddly I have more problems with grid's 'brownish' style than how it plays. though I've only raced the cars in the demo, more powerful ones may be more of a handful than what I saw. (great demo, btw--online enabled, everybody at similar skill level) GRiD's based on the engine used for Dirt, which is hands down the worst rally game *EVER*. no power sliding--what the heck kind of rally game cuts that out? Both arcade and sim rally games have it, but dirt's so 'inbetween' them that it just won't allow sliding. That's in addition to the 'ultra brown' effects in the game. I wish codemasters would just go back to the graphical style they used in Toca 3.

Yea really, I totally agree with you on the Toca style. I'd like to know why it seems every racing game needs to specialize at only one time of day and one type of weather condition. Need for Speed (not when it was good.. once Underground and Carbon started "blessing" our presence) had the whole night time and wet streets... everywhere.. because that is how driving ALWAYS is... :roll: And then I have no idea what is with GRiD.. it's like sunset or dawn, yet it still seems like mid afternoon. Maybe it's the worlds smoggiest city :roll:

Either way, it's like the tightest control as it doesn't really allow sliding of any sort, yet at the same time, if you try to steer like you would in any other racer, you spin in circles out of control. And god forbid you hit an inch of grass even for a second.. steering basically does the opposite of what you want to do. I can't wait to get rid of this monstrosity... and that says a lot concidering racing games are my favorite genre.

I'm also about to order one of the better consumer wheels out there. I have it narrowed down to the logitech g25 and one of the fanatec porsche setups. so gran turismo 5 prologue is about to jump back onto my radar (hopefully they've fixed up online a bit).

I have a Fanatec wheel. Stay far far away from them. The wireless works awfully on my unit and I've had several different wireless connectors that all have the same problem. The G25 is a much much better wheel. The pedals that come with the unit suck compared to the G25 pedals as well.

Edited by HammR25

I have a Fanatec wheel. Stay far far away from them. The wireless works awfully on my unit and I've had several different wireless connectors that all have the same problem. The G25 is a much much better wheel. The pedals that come with the unit suck compared to the G25 pedals as well.

thanks so much for that. I was on the edge looking for some kind of input to push me one way or the other. Before I was slightly leaning toward the Fanatec. All the reviews I saw were more pc oriented, and those that weren't warned of faulty Gran Turismo support. It's the rumble motors, wireless and beefier wheel that drew me to the fanatec. That and my current 'big wheel' is a fanatec speedster 3.

but the g25's well proven. seems to have better pedals, and a more handsome shift unit. It's also certain to have support where the fanatec is 'iffy'. not to mention being *at least* $50 cheaper than the fanatec. Decision made, logitech it is.

Edited by Reaperman

My Fanatec wheel would actually be pretty cool if the USB dongle didn't not read the accelerator input for half a second several times a race. Otherwise it's a very nice wheel but when a person tries several dongles and they all have the same problem it gets old quick. I beta tested their Porsche 911 Turbo Wheel and they let us buy a production one for half price so I figured I'd go ahead and get one and hope they fixed the problem.

I'm playing Little Big Planet whenever I can, along with the usual background noise of Ridge Racer 7, WipeOut HD and Everybodys' Golf World Tour.

Currently too busy enjoying the ZX Spectrum emulation on my new DS R4 card. I'm actually typing in listings from Sinclair User magazine!

Regarding GRID. I know what you mean, it's a bit of a mess. If only all of the races were like that San Francisco even with the Mustangs. That was fine.

I use Logitech's Driving Force GT Racing wheel (The one with the brake bias knob for the Gran Turismo titles). Works well with PS2 and PS3 racing titles. Can sometimes be had for under $100.

So that's a option for anyone that doesn't want to pay for the G25, but still wants a decent wheel.

Picked up Burnout: Paradise and bought the $10 upgrade pack. I love the motorcycles although I kind of wish it had ragdoll physics for the rider when you crash instead of only showing the bike. It would be kind of fun to pile drive my guy through someone's windshield.

My only real complaint so far is that there's no way to disable the song Paradise City when the game starts. I like the song and everything but I don't want to hear it over and over and over again.

I also noticed that EA already dropped the price of 3 on 3 NHL Arcade to $10 from $15. That took them a week or less. lol For the depth the game has I'm not sure it's worth $10 either. I love it but I can see why others would be annoyed with the lack of depth. There are two teams that never change besides the players and there's no season or career mode or anything.

I'm a G25 owner now--in the mail. so I've been playing a lot of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. actually I've been watching their in-game TV channel, and playing the game only while waiting for things to download.

My only real complaint so far is that there's no way to disable the song Paradise City when the game starts. I like the song and everything but I don't want to hear it over and over and over again.

amazing you should mention that--it's also my biggest complaint. while I (eventually) found out how to replace the in-game playlist with one I had to create, it plays that damn paradise city song at the start of the game, and even worse, on my ps3 menu screen. I logically concluded that the game must be full of nothing but raging guns n roses fans, so quitting was my only viable option.

I'm kind of a music snob. And while I'm especially biased against frat rock, any game without music composed just for it comes off as a little cheap to me. Aside from that, the game's confusing 'navigate yourself' races left me feeling that all the joy of previous burnout games was taken away. It's basically need for speed underground with better crashes. At least it handed me a trophy every 2 seconds though...

GT5P is another game I kind of wish would shut the hell up. At least I'm somewhere in their music's target audience though.

Edited by Reaperman

I'm currently rotating through a stack of games and hoping to complete some of them soon:

1. Little Big Planet

2. Hakuna Matata

3. Bioshock

4. GTA IV

5. Aquanauts Holiday

6. Quantum of Solace

7. Kung Fu Panda

8. Flower

9. Sega Genesis Collection

I also throw Burnout back in the stack whenever new content is released. Other than Killzone 2, I don't see much in the next couple months that excites me, so I should be able to finish a few.