IGNORED

What PS3 games are you currently playing?

HammR25

• 2 weeks later...

Got Far Cry 4 in a sale. After an overly punishing prologue, it becomes an open world FPS, like Skyrim with guns. The interface is a handful, but the complexity allows for some pretty clever tactics. Cut a chunk of meat off a dead animal, throw it into a pack of soldiers, then watch the chaos when a bear comes to eat it (and them!).

Got Far Cry 4 in a sale. After an overly punishing prologue, it becomes an open world FPS, like Skyrim with guns. The interface is a handful, but the complexity allows for some pretty clever tactics. Cut a chunk of meat off a dead animal, throw it into a pack of soldiers, then watch the chaos when a bear comes to eat it (and them!).

Far Cry Primal is even more like Skyrim...with spears....and you ride on Bears. :)

Started playing Dragon's Crown over the weekend, and I'm loving it! It brings back memories of Guardian Heroes on the Saturn or one of the AD&D side scrolling beat-em-ups that Capcom made in the 90's. If you don't have it, I'd pick it up now before prices go up. It's an Atlus game, and they have been trending upwards lately.

• Like 2

Started playing Dragon's Crown over the weekend, and I'm loving it! It brings back memories of Guardian Heroes on the Saturn or one of the AD&D side scrolling beat-em-ups that Capcom made in the 90's. If you don't have it, I'd pick it up now before prices go up. It's an Atlus game, and they have been trending upwards lately.

Hooray for boobies!

I must dust that one off again (",)

Yeah, it's a good one for sure.

I also picked up a few games from the Playstation Store over the weekend during the Flash Sale. It wasn't one of the games on sale, but I picked up Shovel Knight after hearing a million people talk about how great it is. And IT IS AWESOME!!! They nailed the retro vibe with this game, and it's so much fun to play. Really enjoying this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently began playing GTA IV. We've had it for a long time but I just never played it. This game has really sucked me in, only a little bit into it and wow. The open world, the level of detail and nooks and crannies that can be explored. And it is soooo dark. I've played a fair bit of GTA III and Vice City too and the story is much lighter there -- but not IV. Even though I cheated and read the story synopsis I got the feeling that in the end there wouldn't be much of a happy ending.

• 3 months later...

I havent played my Playstation 3 console in like 2 or 3 months now but the last previous game I was playing a little bit was Tales of Symphonia 2 Dawn of the New World. That and Final Fantasy XIII.

This weekend I should try to get back into playing my Playstation 3 console and games. Especially Ni No Kuni at least or White Knight Chronicles Collection

• 4 months later...

I never had a PS3 during it's prime, but picked one up recently because of the availability of cheap, quality titles.

Right now, I am playing:

Little Big Planet 3

Valkyria Chronicles

Metal Gear (the original)

Metal Gear MSX

Maybe in 10 years I'll post about the games I'll be playing on PS4.

• 3 weeks later...
I tried to play Persona 5. I think I've given it every possible chance.

And to be fair, the game is fun when I get to dungeon crawl. I enjoy the combat systems and the exploration. I can even get into the more purely mechanical relationship bonding and skill increasing. The catch is, the game doesn't want to let me do that. The game doesn't want me to be able to do anything.

I felt more freedom in Final Fantasy 13's endless hallway. I'm reminded of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. Like that game, Persona 5 has long cutscenes which end, pretending to let the player have control, only for the only possible option be to trigger the next cutscene.

Nothing about the story or characters is compelling enough or even interesting. In fact, I find the whole thing to be extraordinarily poorly told. I'm tired of having the same things be said over and over.

Like many people, I'm tired of the cat. The cat is just a reminder that I have no participation in the game. It's the designers making fun of me that I've wasted my time with the game.

The saddest thing is, I like the game when it lets me play. But those doses of play time are rationed out in a miserly manner. I like the visuals. I like the mechanics. This has been the ONLY RPG where enemies have been visible roamers in the dungeon where I've ever felt that mechanic adds anything to the game. And it's buried under this endless shit story where I never get to do anything and a cat constantly tells me to go to bed.

25 hours in, and the tutorials are still coming. 25 hours in and it is clear the game is never going to open up and let me do anything on my own.

That's it. I'm done. I'm tapping out.

And since the world has gone insane and Persona 5 is being hailed as the "GREATEST JRPG EVER" and since that will probably mean it sets the template for everything going forward, I'm out. As in, I am done buying RPGs. If this is how things are going to be from now on, I want no part of it.

The worst part is, I sat down intending to play Persona 5 for most of the day today. I thought it had to open up. I felt it had been opening up and letting me do more. Surely I was past the worst and now I could start enjoying the game. NOPE. I just got to watch day after day on the calendar tick off as programmed event after programmed event played, and each time I desperately hoped I could have my character leave his room to do ANYTHING only to have the cat order me to bed. I thought, "any moment now, it will quit doing this, and I'll be able to return this DVD I rented in the game." NOPE. I was so craving any kind of agency I was looking forward to returning a DVD in the game, and then the date I was to return the DVD passed without the game allowing me to do so.

That's when I turned it off, took out the disc, and threw it in the trash. The game is so railroaded, I CAN'T EVEN RETURN A DVD RENTAL. More than that, I have so little agency I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO RETURNING A DVD RENTAL.

I'm trying to end this post, but I'm just broken. I honestly don't feel like I'm ever going to enjoy a game ever again. This game has damaged me.

I wouldn't worry about jrpgs all being like persona 5 from this day forward. Persona 5 isn't that much different than the personas before it, and fans of it were saying the same thing about persona 3 and persona 4 etc. Just stay clear of Persona going forward and you should be good. I'm more staying away from Persona 5 as a way of meager protest over the company's aggressive anti-streaming/let'splay stance to "protect" people from spoilers. I think they've probably caused a lot more videos to be created as a result. It helps that while I enjoyed Persona 3 a lot, thanks to a FAQ, I still have my copy of Persona 4 shrinkwrapped.

I have seldom been as enraged as this game made me. I did eventually fish the game out of the trash. I tried playing it a bit more thinking, "It can't really be this horribly written and designed, can it? It has to get better, doesn't it?"

Even someone I know who loved the previous Personas said 5 was unbearably awful.

Oh well, not my problem anymore. I'm playing with Gundams and the Yamato now, so to hell with that damn cat.

I have seldom been as enraged as this game made me. I did eventually fish the game out of the trash. I tried playing it a bit more thinking, "It can't really be this horribly written and designed, can it? It has to get better, doesn't it?"

Even someone I know who loved the previous Personas said 5 was unbearably awful.

Oh well, not my problem anymore. I'm playing with Gundams and the Yamato now, so to hell with that damn cat.

I'm not hearing great things. The translation is below Atlus's usual standards (I guess Nich Maragos left for another company) and they've been really dickish about players sharing footage. There's a PS4 version, but all the system's sharing features were disabled for that game. Ass-lus has threatened players who dare to stream footage of the game, worried that they'll spoil the plot twists. Here's a twist for you! That Persona game players hungrily waited years for? It sucks. Cease and desist that.

Funny the topic should go this way, I picked up Persona 3 and 4 a few years back and was about to start them since 5 is out. Now I'm afraid to. Maybe I'll go with Disgaea 3 and 4 instead?

Those are even longer I keep reading the first one is still the best........ if you were to play a Persona game play the fourth one on Vita that is Persona 4 Golden not nearly as repetitive and grindy as Persona 3 in my opinion. They improved it a whole lot over the PS2 version

There's a PS4 version, but all the system's sharing features were disabled for that game. Ass-lus has threatened players who dare to stream footage of the game, worried that they'll spoil the plot twists. Here's a twist for you! That Persona game players hungrily waited years for? It sucks. Cease and desist that.

In all honesty I suspect that's why they're really being assholes over spoilers for. If not, well, gratz to them. They lost a sale regardless.