5200: What's your console like?

Ransom

What type of 5200(s) do you own?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a 4-Port or 2-Port?

• 4-Port
    • 2-Port
    • Both
  2. 2. Do you prefer classic RF output or S-Video?

• RF - The One True Way
    • S-Video - Clarity is Key

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I've got a s-video modded (5200 faq mod) two-port system with a four-port bios. Didn't care for the RF output. Came across a two-port first so that's what I took. The four-port bios allows it to play Pitfall! and someother games that aren't compatible with two-port systems.

Dead :mad: but when it lived it was a 2 port with 4port bios and a Longhorn Engineer s-video mod. The mod was excellent, much better than the 8bitdomain one that I used to have. Hopefully he will have a new version available soon.

Some who know me might assume I have an awesome mint-perfect 5200 setup, but that's not the case. Since I fried 2 5200's making homebrews (bad PCB's at the time), I have only 1 left and its in sad sad shape. The plastic door to the controller storage is busted off; the entire plastic shell is loose and feels like it could come apart at any time. However, it works fine. I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for an excellent-shape 5200 system. Foolishly, rather than keep the better-condition shell of my fried original 5200 (all were 2-ports), I pitched it with a bunch of junk cleaning out the garage one spring. :(

Anyway, I use a 2 port with standard (crappy) RF connection. I'd love to get a better shape 5200 with S-video on it, but I don't have the skills to do the S-video mod myself - I'd probably fry another 5200 system.

Cafeman,

5200 slayer

Mine's a beat-to-heck-piece-of-crap looking thing on a shelf above my workbench. It does have the cool multi-cart in it nearly permanently. I occasionally hook it up and play, mostly when I'm building a custom controller so it's been idle for a while. It's RF connected, but that's not much of an issue when you're looking at the output on a 9" screen.

Edited by BigO

I have a modified 4 port system. The history as far back as I know is this:

It was purchased in a thrift shop in California, then shipped to New York. It was shipped back to California, then I purchased it and it was sent to me. It did not have a switchbox, so I modified the power circuit and hardwired in the power brick from my old Toshiba cable modem.

One of the controllers works to about 90% of its capacity, and the other one is dead. The console looks decent except for the small melted spots near the front. It looks like someone tapped on it with a hot straight pin.

I have a modest collection of about 20 games for it A few have instructions and perhaps overlays, none have boxes.

I have a modified 4 port system. The history as far back as I know is this:

It was purchased in a thrift shop in California, then shipped to New York. It was shipped back to California, then I purchased it and it was sent to me. It did not have a switchbox, so I modified the power circuit and hardwired in the power brick from my old Toshiba cable modem.

One of the controllers works to about 90% of its capacity, and the other one is dead. The console looks decent except for the small melted spots near the front. It looks like someone tapped on it with a hot straight pin.

I have a modest collection of about 20 games for it A few have instructions and perhaps overlays, none have boxes.

You seem to have this affinity with hacking all your computer/gaming/electronic gear/kit bigtime...how is it you never landed a job designing or creating sexy new atari hardware (way back when, ofcourse)

Edited by carmel_andrews

I have a 2 port system with a 4 Port Bios... Take that Pitfall! :)

I haven't got around to modifiying any of my systems for composite or s-video out, but perhaps one day I will do it. I just have a hard time "hacking up" my old original systems :)

As far as my collection goes, I have an almost complete collection (minus boxes--I don't have the room to collect that way). I'm missing the really expensive games like Bounty Bob Strikes Back... 5 more games, and I'll have a complete collection :)

4 Port with RF. The RF picture is good enough for me.

I've just been starting my collection (for the third time since '82, but who's counting?). I got a 2-port model for $25...turned out the case has a bunch of cracks and chips out of it, plus a ton of scratches, and the seller wouldn't do anything. And I couldn't even see if the MB works, because I didn't have any games.

Finally got a game the other day. Hooked the system up through RF, flipped it on...and it worked! And better yet, the RF output is very nice indeed.

The pity is that I only have one joystick, and the game I got is Space Dungeon. D'oh!

Oh, well, I'll get there in time.