5200: What's your console like?

Ransom

What type of 5200(s) do you own?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a 4-Port or 2-Port?

• 4-Port
    • 2-Port
    • Both
  2. 2. Do you prefer classic RF output or S-Video?

• RF - The One True Way
    • S-Video - Clarity is Key

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

4 Port with RF. The RF picture is good enough for me.

The pity is that I only have one joystick, and the game I got is Space Dungeon. D'oh!

Oh, well, I'll get there in time.

Same here, but the only game I have is Pac Man. If you are looking for a good deal on some commons, have a look at this auction. I was going to bid, but I have been spending too much money lately.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=4479297

Same here, but the only game I have is Pac Man. If you are looking for a good deal on some commons, have a look at this auction. I was going to bid, but I have been spending too much money lately.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=4479297

You, too, huh? I think there's a lot of that going around. It might have something to do with winter . . . :)

Well, I dug out my Atari 5200 last night. Haven't had it hooked up in a long time because the controller doesn't work any more, and no amount of cleaning would fix it. I had modified the console to use the power supply from an old Sega CD, as well as for composite video. I left the RF circuit though, so that still works as well.

I soldered together a really quick and ugly little adapter so that I could use a Tandy 1000 joystick with the 5200, and played a few games. It works quite well, although the Tandy stick must be wired differently inside, because both axies (axesis, axisis?) were inverted. But, flipping the controler around works :) I need to go in and swap the wires, but wasn't in the mood last night.

I forgot just how great the 5200 graphics were. Too bad the controller crippled the system so badly. Now I just need to track down some more games...

-Ian

• 3 months later...
I have a modified 4 port system. The history as far back as I know is this:

It was purchased in a thrift shop in California, then shipped to New York. It was shipped back to California, then I purchased it and it was sent to me. It did not have a switchbox, so I modified the power circuit and hardwired in the power brick from my old Toshiba cable modem.

One of the controllers works to about 90% of its capacity, and the other one is dead. The console looks decent except for the small melted spots near the front. It looks like someone tapped on it with a hot straight pin.

I have a modest collection of about 20 games for it A few have instructions and perhaps overlays, none have boxes.

You seem to have this affinity with hacking all your computer/gaming/electronic gear/kit bigtime...how is it you never landed a job designing or creating sexy new atari hardware (way back when, ofcourse)

They would never have hired a 7 year old boy at the time. :)

I have a beautiful 4 port. Her name is Pamela, How creative.

I could have bought an even nicer 2 port with purple plastic over it but when I tested her at the flea market, she was broken. Eh my 4 port came with the box anyway.

I love my 5200 :lust: .

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a dusty, beat-up two-port that I inherited from my older brother's ex-roommate that I connect to a 1987-vintage Toshiba 20" TV with a nice RCA-to-75 ohm adapter. I use this basically so that when I want to use my 7800, I just unplug the one black wire rather than worrying about the automatic switchbox of my much shinier 4-port. Truth be told, I'm a bit scared of the switchbox as it always seems to spark whenever I connect it.

With such a small screen and not having to use one of those Radio Shack-style slider switchboxes I think my picture looks rather good. Neither of the two TVs downstairs have analog tuners so I guess I'll never know what Atari looks like on an LCD or a plasma unless I get them modified.

• 1 month later...

My setup for two years has been the 4-slot with no mods so it's RF. I don't mind and the picture is actually quite nice. The other month I picked up a 32" Sony Trinitron TV for $72 at a thrift store with great picture and has already put out a lot of good entertainment. At the moment I only have the 5200 plugged in for the RF port and will more than likely stay that way, it helps cut down on the audio/video noise too.

Nice setup, Richie! It almost looks like it's 1983 again. :)

I saw my first 5200 in 1984 my friend, who was one of the friends who had everything. Well his dad imported one from America for his birthday present, I was totally blown away there’s me with a 2600 with Crap-Man and here was my mate playing PAC-MAN that looked just like the Arcade version.

This is my Charismas Present that I never had. lol

Nice setup, Richie! It almost looks like it's 1983 again. :)

I saw my first 5200 in 1984 my friend, who was one of the friends who had everything. Well his dad imported one from America for his birthday present, I was totally blown away there’s me with a 2600 with Crap-Man and here was my mate playing PAC-MAN that looked just like the Arcade version.

This is my Charismas Present that I never had. lol

Sometimes it's great being a grown-up. :)

I have a minty looking 2 port with a 4 port bios installed and on the back it has s-video, but the older kind designed for the commodore 1702 monitor. Almost forget - it has a vintage fake leather brown dust cover that says Atari 5200 - I love those old dust covers.