IGNORED

console versions u liked better than the arcade

Mazerati

it was pretty rare back in the day when a home version would surpass the original arcade game

but to me it happened a couple times

i think the Atari 5200 Pengo was better than the arcade version on graphics and playability

in fact i dont find the arcade version all that much fun because of the difficulty but the

5200 version seems just right

and Intellivision Burgertime in my opinion was better than the arcade version because the controls were much smoother..maybe its because i was one of the few who enjoyed using the disc but i found the arcade version (as well as the colecovision version) a bit unresponsive when compared to the Intellivision version

you guys have any to add?

Spy Hunter for ColecoVision: The music runs throughout the game, not just in the beginning like the arcade game.

Zaxxon for ColecoVision: The choppy scrolling actually brings a sense of rythm to the game, while the arcade game, with its smooth scrolling, makes me feel like I'm flying out of control towards obstacles.

I actually like a lot of the home ports more than I do the arcade ones. Not necessarily because of graphical beauty, but because of playability. The home games didn't have to try to suck a quarter out of your pocket every few minutes. Also, I like the ones that offer lots of play options, particularly the early 80s games on the 2600.

So, just for example, I prefer: Venture on the ColecoVision, Ladybug on the ColecoVision and 2600, Pole Position on the Atari consoles and computers, Berzerk on the 2600, Centipede on the 5200, Dig Dug on the XE Game System, and Jungle Hunt on the XEGS.

To me, the only important graphical advantage of the early arcade games was the greater resolution and screen size allowed for much larger playfields. Not to mention the portrait orientation of many arcade monitors. Space Invaders and Asteroids feel much different in the arcade than they do in their home versions largely because of the size of the playfield, IMO. (Altho the 7800 version of Asteroids mitigates this somewhat.)

The only other important advantage of the arcade games was the diversity of controls. There just is no easy way to competently translate Tron to any console (short of a custom controller), for example.

But for any game that used a reasonably-sized playfield, a joystick or potentiometer, and a couple of buttons, I've found that I nearly always prefer one or more home versions to the arcade one (when they exist). That was a surprising finding made possible by MAME.

Edited by Ransom

I always preferred the NES version of Strider. It played more like an RPG, giving it a more adventure-like feel. Love the original, too, but if given a choice, I'll play the NES version.

I've never really played the NES Strider, but in a similar vein, I enjoy the NES Bionic Commando much more than the arcade version. The NES version just has a lot more depth to it, in both story and gameplay.

Maybe I should give Strider a try?

I actually like a lot of the home ports more than I do the arcade ones. Not necessarily because of graphical beauty, but because of playability. The home games didn't have to try to suck a quarter out of your pocket every few minutes. Also, I like the ones that offer lots of play options, particularly the early 80s games on the 2600.

I agree 100%.

i think the Atari 5200 Pengo was better than the arcade version on graphics and playability

in fact i dont find the arcade version all that much fun because of the difficulty but the

5200 version seems just right

There are different versions of the arcade version out there. They differ on the music, & the "ice clearing" at the beginning of the stages, but more importantly to what you're saying.. they differ on default difficulty. There are some Pengo's where it's just extremely difficult, and the snowbees make a beeline for you right off the bat. I think the U.S. version is like that. The japanese version (with the "popcorn" music) seems to be a heck of a lot easier.

There's a bunch of arcade conversions for consoles that are more fun to play than the original arcade game. As a rule I prefer the console versions of arcade games because you can select the skill level and actually play the game for a while (in other words, I generally suck at most arcade games :| ). Here's a quick rundown...

ColecoVision:

Venture - the arcade game is unplayable due to it's extreme difficulty but the CV version (on skill Levels 3,4) is fantastic

Pepper II - better than the arcade

Zaxxon - just as fun as the arcade but with little twists (ie. mobots, walls with forcefields)

Galaxian - better than the arcade

Frenzy - atleast as good as the arcade (CV version displays your body outline when you get nailed)

Space Panic - maybe not a terribly popular game but the CV version puts the arcade version to shame (I love this game)

Atari 5200/8-bit

Pengo - arcade game is too damn hard but perfect on the 5200/8-bit

Missile Command - better on the 8-bit to me (XEGS built-in :D )

Jungle Hunt - better on the 8-bit

Berzerk - better on the 5200/8-bit

Choplifter - greatly modified from the arcade version but atleast it's playable and more fun on the 5200/8-bit

Donkey Kong - better than the arcade with fast, nonstop action - just bought the XE (blue box) version from Best

Electronics

Atari 2600

Breakout - better than the arcade (and Super Breakout simply rules!)

Berzerk - atleast as good as the arcade

Jungle Hunt - better than the arcade

Atari 7800

Centipede - choice of skill levels and co-op play make it superior to the arcade

Joust - better than the arcade because it takes less "wing flaps" to rise faster (healthier for the trigger finger!)

Robotron - graphics/gameplay the same as the arcade and i've got a little dual-joystick contraption that's great!

Edited by chuckwalla

Gunsmoke, Contra and Bionic Commando on the NES are much better IMHO than they were in the arcades. The graphics may not be as good but they played better.

Altered Beast, Paperboy, and Ninja Gaiden are games that may not be "better" on consoles, but I enjoyed them way more at home then I did at the arcades. Missile Command on the 2600 is one that I like as much as I did at the arcade, though they're nearly two different games tech wise.

Edited by superdevil

Berserk for Atari 2600. The different game modes let you play the game a whole lot differently. I usually play a mode with no Evil Otto so I can just take my time taking out the robots. It's kinda relaxing. Also, I think the action is a bit more fun than the arcade version.

Missile Command for the 2600 is also a pretty decent adaption though I could probably go either way on it.

Like others in this thread, I generally prefer the home versions of some games. My particular favourites are:

Donkey Kong (800XL)

Atari Invaders (800XL) - compared to Space Invaders

Frogger (800XL)

Pac-Man (800XL)

Donkey Kong Jr (800XL)

Mr Wimpy (Oric Atmos) - UK Burger Time clone

Although I have yet to find a home port of Asteroids or Battlezone that beats the original arcade versions.