IGNORED

7800 Blu-Ray...

SoundGammon

Yeah ApolloBoy is absolutely correct. Magnetic disks vs. optical media are worlds apart. That would be like saying that the first systems to use 5 1/4" floppy disks paved the way for systems with cd's, dvd's, etc. It's quite a stretch.

I do find this concept interesting though. A cd add-on for the 7800 would be pretty cool, but I'm not sure how much it would really help the 7800 though. Storage space isn't that big of an issue, and with a pokey onboard the cart the sound is pretty good.. If you look at how the cd drives were implemented on the earlier systems to have them(sega cd, turbografx, etc.) it doesn't seem like they benefit THAT much from the cd drive, and I think the gains on the 7800 would be even smaller.

Again, it is a cool concept though. If it ever came to fruition I'd gladly plop down $50 on an ide/sata/etc. to 7800 adapter :)

It is far to late to have a commercial releace of a Blu Ray or CD add on for the 7800.

No kidding. Hey, if anyone out there wants to "get fancy" why don't they release the damn keyboard that was already designed and some of the programming add ons? Now THAT would be a worthwhile project!!

Adept Rapier

:)

It is far to late to have a commercial releace of a Blu Ray or CD add on for the 7800.

No kidding. Hey, if anyone out there wants to "get fancy" why don't they release the damn keyboard that was already designed and some of the programming add ons? Now THAT would be a worthwhile project!!

Adept Rapier

Wasn't Curt working on that?

Adept Rapier

Wasn't Curt working on that?

Hmm, that would be cool!! (as long as it wasn't another idiotic "Numbered limited release, ha ha you didn't get one and now they cost $10,000 on ebay, the jokes on you!" deals.)

By the way, nice omnicade, I also have a dual stick x-arcade, aren't they great!

Adept Rapier

Edited by AdeptRapier

Anyone remember the Atari ST add on? There was a Dragon's Lair set up sold (was $300 if I recall back in the day) that had an interface between the ST and an industrial laserdisc player (notably Pioneer, through RS232 port). Came with the Dragon's Lair laserdisc, and you could play it through the ST (ST functioned essentially as the joystick).

I also seem to recall that it wasn't 'real time' like the arcade but would stop at each set up.

BTW, some coinop laserdisc games used an Amiga to control them. Mad Dog McCree was one.

Just think what the 7800 could do then, it wouldn't have to generate any backgrounds and only take care of the sprites and game logic. Think Space Invaders with a scrolling moon backdrop or Xevious with a real looking ground scrolling by or Joust with real looking lava pits...

Think how exactly those sort of games crashed and burned in the marketplace.

As far as laser games go, the ones that did overlay like Firefox I think were a cut above straight laser games like DL, because of the true interactivity (albeit mostly railed).

Interseting thread never knew that about Atari :), But if I would have a wish for 7800 Dev projects it would be the following:

1. make a cable that could be adapted to a board that would plug in to the 7800's cart slot.

2. populate the board with some kind of flash chip that "looks" like ram of the era to the 7800's hardware.

3. plug the other end of said cable and card in to a printer port on a Modern PC.

4. configure an Atari ST emulator to use the printer port Virtually as a data feed to the board.

5. find and use disk images from Atari's Dev kit.

and there you would have a real dev environment just like what was used at the time, minus the real Atari ST of Course.

But I am sure the super charger is better for this sort of thing, I do not know would that be possible ?

I just like to dream.

Carl

I think the main problem with the 7800 is a lack of homebrews, period. New hardware is putting the cart before the horse, pun intended.

I think that the 7800 has GREAT homebrews personally. Sure some of the other systems might have more homebrews, but the 7800 homebrews are of a consistent high quality and something that I actually would spend my money on.

AdeptRapier

It would be great if the 7800 keyboard was releaced to the public, with it Atari can finally win it's war over the ColecoVision!

They did by surviving to release the 7800, XEGS, Lynx and Jaguar after the Colecovision was dead and Coleco had exited the video game industry.

• 9 months later...

Cant wait to play M.A.C.H. 3 ;)

LOVED IT!

What was the LaserDisc arcade game that had b&w Japanese scifi space craft flying in the background that you'd blast? I mistakenly thought it was "Bega's Battle" for the longest time...

Wasn't another game called Cobra Command?