IGNORED

Wireless/WiFi Joystick Mod

Fangorn81

I am really interested in finding/building/collaborating on/funding a wireless joystick mod for my 2600.

I have done a lot of searching and have only found these two projects. Neither of which look like something I am electronically capable of doing on my own.

A bulky looking german one

A more promising looking one

I was wondering if anyone here has tried or would be interested in trying to create a mod/hack project like this. My perfect imagining of this mod would have a transmitter and battery fully contained in the original controller housing, with a dongle that plugs into the joystick port on the console.

Anybody have any ideas, or experience with this?

Edited by Fangorn81

Shouldn't be all that hard to adapt something like the electronics from one of those wireless Playstation controllers (the ones with the seperate receiver dongle that plugs into the console). The Atari joystick port provides 5v, so you can draw the power from it. Might need a microcontroller to convert the serial data to buttonpresses though.

Also, wireless Atari 2600 joysticks do exist. They were made sometime in the 80's, and actually shouldn't be all that hard to find. A couple companies made them. The joystick is thicker than normal, but otherwise looks and feels like the Atari stick, and has a telescoping antenna. It takes a 9v transistor radio battery. The receiver box handles two joysticks, and has a passthrough for power - plug the Atari's power adapter into the receiver box, then the receiver box into the Atari's power socket. Then two cables plug into the Atari's joystick ports. The receiver box also has an antenna. It actually all works very well - plenty of range and response.

-Ian

Yes, I know about the original radio frequency wireless joysticks, but I was hoping for something a bit more sleek.

And I have no experience with micro-controllers or anything like that.

But, if I can get a console set up with one of the sweet s-video mods and some wireless joysticks, I think I could get my Atari a little more respect in the living room alongside my roommates PS3, Wii and Xbox 360!

I own 2 pairs of the wireless Game Mate II joysticks and I have to say they work EXCELLENT! I was truly amazed how well they work when I tried them out.

Atari2600.com has them NEW in the box for $17.95. I strongly suggest you try a set! Great service, fast shipping, and a kick ass product!

ATA26CON0059 - Game Mate II

ATA26CON0059LX.gif

What drug did the dude on that box smoke before the picture?

Weren't the Game Mate sticks made by the same company that made the Atari brand ones? Let's see...this says "Cynex Manufacturing Corp." on the bottom. BTW, I've got a CIB set of the Atari brand ones. They work good, but the Flashback 2 stick and the CX-10 beat them hands down for playability.

These are the same exact remote control joysticks as the Atari ones... only they say Game Mate II and are much cheaper since they don't have the Atari logo on them.

As for them being uncomfortable, I actually like them better than the regular joystick since it gives me more to hold on to when playing games that I'd lose my grip. I also added those balls that mount on top of the joysticks that also aid in making the controllers easier to use.

For $20 you can give them a try yourself. They use 1 9V battery each and last a fairly good amount of time before they die. (Unless you forget to turn them off!)

I could post a pic of mine if you want to see them up close.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had this idea for years. Someone here was interested in designing it for me, as his company did wireless technology. We were going to base this on the 900mhz or 2.4ghz depending on price of chip. He had found a really good deal on 900Mhz chips. He got busy with work and never did get back to me. I was ready to pay for a prototype to be made and possibly 50 units.

I've got an on-going 'side' project. Uses a pair of RF modules similar to the second design. Here's a pic of the transmitter part with 2 joystick ports for standard sticks. It's powered by a 9V battery, the receiver part plugs into the 2600 ports and is powered by the console.

That's too bad.

I have been working on another idea for a 2600 joystick also. Sort of a more functional modern update that still has a 60's/70's aesthetic. Of course, I have no way of manufacturing them, and there probably isn't enough of a market:

My Modular Joystick Design

This is a link to Flickr. I don't remember how to post images in the post.

Oh, and that's not an antenna in those picks, it's the cord...this one's not a wireless idea.

Edited by Fangorn81

I like this 3rd party design much better than the big "platform shoe" style that Atari & Game Mate used:

post-12370-1236868227_thumb.jpg

As for building your own, here's some hardware I've considered for that purpose:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...roducts_id=8945 Note:

There's a matching receiver. It should be easy enough to use the UART functionality of a microcontroller to convert the bit stream to 5 data bits of output to emulate the joystick.

These parts are available from other sources and, as I recall, the same manufacturer makes a 9600 Baud unit and maybe faster. They're available in different frequencies which should mean that you can use two joysticks simultaneously. Note: I've never used this hardware so can't endorse it.

I don't think it would be very difficult to make it so you would be able to plug the modules into either side...theoretically of course!

And that RF transmitter looks very promising. I'll have to read more in detail when I get off work.

Edited by Fangorn81

• 11 years later...