IGNORED

HSC Season 1 Week 7: Moon Patrol

Deteacher

Player drives a moon buggy jumping over craters, rocks and land mines, shooting simultaneously at rocks in front and aliens above while dodging their missiles. Features very catchy background music and cute bouncing tires when the buggy is destroyed. Foreground and background terrain scroll at different rates giving the illusion of depth.

post-9712-1234647996_thumb.jpg post-9712-1234648006.png post-9712-1234648011.png

Game Information:

Game Name: Moon Patrol

Released By: Irem, 1982

Game Mode: Default settings

MAME ROMset: MPatrol

Chosen By: MisterVCS

ROM Location: http://www.rom-world.com/file.php?id=22720

Post your scores in this thread and I will update the leaderboard throughout the week. The deadline for posting scores will be Saturday, February 21st, 2009 @ 12:00 Noon (EST)

BONUS POINTS: The player with the best tips submitted will earn +2 bonus points this week.

BEST TIPS

Max_Mad [+2]

CURRENT HIGH SCORES

1. 82,090 (Osbo) [+11]

2. 78,580 (Max_Mad) [+10]

3. 52,330 (maximebeauvais) [+9]

4. 51,940 (JellE) [+8]

5. 38,500 (SpiceWare) [+7]

6. 24,750 (Mister VCS) [+6]

7. 24,500 (aftermac) [+5]

8. 19,100 (LarcenTyler) [+4]

9. 3,320 (Artlover) [+3]

CURRENT POINT TOTALS

1. Spiceware [56]

2. aftermac [45]

3. maximebeauvais [36]

4. LarcenTyler [35]

5. Shannon [35]

6. JellE [32]

7. Osbo [28]

8. Dr Galaga [17]

9. maibock [16]

10. rxd [13]

11. theking21803 [13]

12. NE146 [11]

13. Vectorman0 [10]

14. Artlover [9]

15. LaserHawk [6]

16. MrAtari2600 [5]

Edited by Deteacher

Hi there,

I heard about this site while digging around for Mame high score competitions online. I am a Macmame user and have found that there aren't many places to submit scores for Mame. I hope my Macmame submissions will be acceptable on this site.

My current high score on Moon Patrol is 60450. I accomplished that about five minutes ago.

I don't have many tips for the game other then these:

Destroy the enemies in groups in order to obtain the bonus (500 for regular & 800 for the bomber guys)

On Lvl. 3 - the mine field - try to stay as far to the left of the screen as you can - you don't need a lot of speed to jump the mines.

At the end of lvl. 5 you will turn red (not sure why) and the game continues. About halfway through lvl. 6 a little black and red hovership thingy will come up behind you on the ground and just wait there. Be patient, wait for him to move and then jump over him. Quickly shoot him in the back for another 500 points.

That's all I've got for this game so far.

I'm really glad I found a place where people still competitively play classic arcade games/roms. In the future I would love to see high score contests for Gun Smoke and Twin Cobra.

post-22627-1234710664.png

Hi again,

Just submitting another score for Moon Patrol - 72,810 this time.

Further advice - the second level after you turn red the game sends boulders out at you. This isn't new. However, what is new is that they send the boulders out in groups of three - more then you are capable of shooting away before they smash into you. I'm thinking that you'll need to shoot one or two and then try to jump the last.

post-22627-1234713042.png

Hi there,

I heard about this site while digging around for Mame high score competitions online. I am a Macmame user and have found that there aren't many places to submit scores for Mame. I hope my Macmame submissions will be acceptable on this site.

My current high score on Moon Patrol is 60450. I accomplished that about five minutes ago.

I'm really glad I found a place where people still competitively play classic arcade games/roms. In the future I would love to see high score contests for Gun Smoke and Twin Cobra.

Welcome to AtariAge! You are definitely welcome to compete in our weekly competitions. Submit away!

That's a great score you have! So far, I'm less than thrilled with my score, so it might be a while before I post one. :)

If you have a particular game you would like to play, send them to Deteacher in a personal message, and he'll pseudo-randomly select it at some point in the future.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by aftermac

Well I think I'm done for the day. I checked out the Twin Galaxies High scores for this game....needless to say I'm not even close. (The #1 spot is over one million)

I'm content with this score for now. That is, until somebody here beats it.

Good luck

oh...turns out that the little black ship that hunts you in lvl.6 is scored based on proximity to you. The closer it is to you when you kill it the more points you get. Also, it seems that the groups of four give 800 points while groups of three give 500. Except for the Bombers - groups of three of those give 800.

post-22627-1234718721.png

Welcome to the HSC Max! MacMAME is perfectly fine!

I got your list of games and I've added them to the master list.

The way I select games is:

1. People are in order of who submitted games first.

2. Then I pick a game off their list depending on games previously played.

So, if person 'a' had Donkey Kong on the top of their list and person 'b' had "DK Jr on top of theirs, I'll probably skip DK Jr and move on to their next selection on their list.

This way, we get a good mix of games and not playing the same type of game over and over. :)

Right now, I've got a very large database of games, but by all means, keep the suggestions coming.

P.S. Scores updated as of this post.

Edited by Deteacher

I was able to reach the second level with 2 live left. however, one of the first jump, you have to fire the ennemy tank just after the hole and I got hit twice :(

tip:

- try to fire the rock instead of jumping over

- go fast (bonus)

- but sometime is better to go slow (especially during the ''mine'' stage)

good luck

Edited by maximebeauvais

Once I learned how to jump it was all good... but it seems like the holes come up a lot faster the further you get in the game. Ahh well... maybe I will get better! :)

post-9830-1234914804_thumb.png

By the way, I am super addicted to the artwork for these games now... thanks for that link SpiceWare!! :)

Edited by JellE

That's a really good score. I tried to use the artwork, but I couldn't figure it out, besides, I like to play the games full screen :)

I like the pretty colors! I am a girl, what can I say. I can already tell you that score is a fluke... I suck at playing games... I will never, ever get that kind of score again. Thank you though! :)

Edited by JellE