IGNORED

"Lost" Activision games for SNES

Zwackery

This article from VideoGames magazine (vol. V, no. 11, Nov 1993) mentions Pitfall Harry: The Mayan Adventure and 2 other title updates: River Raid: The Mission of No Return and Kaboom!: The Return of the Mad Bomber. Did these 2 disappear because of sales figures on The Mayan Adventure? Has anyone seen any more info about the "lost" games?

post-5874-1234715706_thumb.jpg

This article from VideoGames magazine (vol. V, no. 11, Nov 1993) mentions Pitfall Harry: The Mayan Adventure and 2 other title updates: River Raid: The Mission of No Return and Kaboom!: The Return of the Mad Bomber. Did these 2 disappear because of sales figures on The Mayan Adventure? Has anyone seen any more info about the "lost" games?

I can't imagine that Kaboom would be much fun on the SNES. It didn't have anything like the paddle controller did it? That's half of what made the game workable. Well ok, there was the mouse, but... eh.

• 1 month later...
I seem to recall at least Kaboom being finished or close to it (maybe River Raid as well) but not released. Ken Love mentioned these at one point in one of his posts.

Actually, in your interview with Tom Sloper back in 2002, he claimed that neither reached the playable stage.

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson22.html

I seem to recall at least Kaboom being finished or close to it (maybe River Raid as well) but not released. Ken Love mentioned these at one point in one of his posts.

Actually, in your interview with Tom Sloper back in 2002, he claimed that neither reached the playable stage.

Funny because I swear Ken said that Kaboom was at least playable. I'll have to dig around for his posts.

Tempest

Funny because I swear Ken said that Kaboom was at least playable. I'll have to dig around for his posts.

Yeah, he mentioned them here, although he might have been blowing smoke.

What could really be done differently with Kaboom other than changing the graphics? That's such a primitive (although extremely addicting) game that I just don't see how it would've had relevance in the 16-bit era (people were used to games with narrative, levels, bosses, etc). I'm guessing this is why the game wasn't ever released.

As for River Raid, it was most likely killed since it would've just been another mediocre shmup in a flooded market.

I have to admit that I don't really like that they've been constantly bringing back Pitfall. The main character and the game's world/universe are obviously just shoddy knock-offs of Indiana Jones. Lara Croft is the same but she had DD's to distinguish her; what does Pitfall Harry have that anybody cares about? He even has a stupid name.

-Adam

• 5 years later...

Forgive digging up very old thread, but just updated Unseen64 with this failed attempt at a PS2 reboot of River Raid and it had a link to this thread, so kinda made sense to post info up here as well...