IGNORED

Is FIFA09 the most frustrating game in history?

Tickled_Pink

Just wondering. It's been many years since I've been this close to destroying a controller in rage. :x

Whats frustrating about it. I have 08 but haven't gotten 09 yet. I know that the AI has gotten much better over the years, and the pace of the game is more like the real thing (less arcade-like). You really have to play it more like the real thing (ie you can't just dribble up the field anymore). You have to work the ball around...lots of short passes and quick through balls. After the defense starts to collapse inside the 18, take the ball out wide for a cross or two...like the real deal :)

Just wondering. It's been many years since I've been this close to destroying a controller in rage. :x

Whats frustrating about it. I have 08 but haven't gotten 09 yet. I know that the AI has gotten much better over the years, and the pace of the game is more like the real thing (less arcade-like). You really have to play it more like the real thing (ie you can't just dribble up the field anymore). You have to work the ball around...lots of short passes and quick through balls. After the defense starts to collapse inside the 18, take the ball out wide for a cross or two...like the real deal :)

It's frustrating because I'm so damned CRAP AT IT!!! ;)

Crosses aren't really that productive these days. FIFA06 on the PS2 was totally crap because it was the only way to guarantee a goal. I was ready to mash my controller last night playing against others on Live. Didn't win a single game and managed one goal in 5 matches. It wasn't even that the other players were that much better than me ... stupid mistakes and a few AI issues meaning that passes weren't heading towards their intended target.

Just been playing on it in Manager Mode and getting a little better at it. Played 6 games against the computer today - drew 1, lost 2 and won 3 (the mighty Manchester United beat MK Dons in the Carling Cup after 0-0 and a penalty shootout :roll:) .

My problem with console games is that I find it easier to remember single keypresses on a PC game than combos on a pad, so tend to use them as infrequently as possible.

I've found it to be the best football game in... years! Wipes the floor with Pro Evo Soccer, and imo has a really good learning curve. For a FIFA beginner (as I was) it's easy to get to grips with the basics, but beyond that there is a pretty deep game with complex tricks and tactics; so much so that the manual doesn't even list all the different moves. The great thing is, it's still possible to have a challenging game with only a basic knowledge.

Personally I wouldn't recommend even bothering with an online game against random opponents until you're competent against the A.I. Start on the easiest difficulty and work your way up. Eventually passing, crossing and shooting will all feel second nature. After that try some different formations, tactics, subs etc to play towards your preferences.

I'm very close to throwing FIFA09 in the bin. I'm not playing it on the easiest level since that's just plain boring. Unfortunately the next level up is just plain frustrating.

The biggest frustration is that they've produced yet another buggy piece of software. Half the time the ball doesn't go to the player you're aiming for. The worst one, though, is the 'phantom tackles'. A couple of days ago my player was tackled from behind in the penalty area nowhere near the ball and yet the AI seemed to think it was a tackle. This happens all too frequently.

Another issue I have is with the 'jostling'. EA seem to think that if a defender jostles with the man with the ball, the defender always seems to win.

The only part of the game that's actually any fun is the 'Be A Pro' option.

I haven't played FIFA08 so don't know how it compares, but they should have tweaked it a bit better. I know a lot of people used to prefer Pro Evo to FIFA because of the realism - but that's why I dumped Pro Evo. FIFA used to be the better GAME. Been playing it on and off since FIFA 98 and IMO it's steadily gone downhill as a game.

It's nowhere near as buggy as FIFA 06 was for the PS2 (not even sure how the hell that got out the door) but there are some real sources of major irritation in it.

GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLL!!!

Finally won a game against another player. After 0-0, last minute of extra time with penalties looming, an amazing Christiano Ronaldo free kick flies over the wall, dips and bends on the way there, hits the bar, bounces the wrong side of the goal line but the top spin generated by smacking the underside of the bar causes it to bounce into the net.

First time I've scored a goal from a free kick as well. :D

Almost as good as the one the real Ronaldo scored at the weekend. ;)