IGNORED

Interest Check: Custom CV DK / DKJr Controllers

doubledown

****EDIT**** 07/07/09 - An official pre-order thread has begun for these:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146832

I'm considering producing a run of custom ColecoVision controllers themed for Donkey Kong and/or Donkey Kong Junior. They will be similar to the Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man controllers I made about 5 months ago, except themed for DK and DKJr.:

dualsideby35ev4.jpg

Those were sold for $125 per set (with hand signed manual), but the DK and/or DKJr controllers might cost a bit more. The biggest problem is that the dye I normally use, only comes in a select few colors, and unfortunately Donkey Kong's light blue, and Donkey Kong Jr.'s orange aren't standard colors and cost quite a bit more. Standard colors cost about $8.00 per can and can coat 6 controllers. Custom colors cost about $24.00 per can and can only coat about 3 controllers. So the price would be somewhere in the $155 per set neighborhood.

I will still offer a core credit of $15 per supplied CV controller, and $5 per Genesis controller for donor parts, and with my dwindling supply of CV controllers, CV donors may be required. So before I get too far into this, I'm just looking to see how many interested parties there may be for these.

Edited by doubledown

I will still offer a core credit of $15 per supplied CV controller, and $5 per Genesis controller for donor parts, and with my dwindling supply of CV controllers, CV donors may be required. So before I get too far into this, I'm just looking to see how many interested parties there may be for these.

I'd be interested, and I have a small horde of controllers, you need the white ADAM-style ones, right?

I'd be interested, and I have a small horde of controllers, you need the white ADAM-style ones, right?

I don't think the beige controllers would be as critical for the blue and orange controllers like it was with the yellow Pac-Man controllers, but it definately wouldn't hurt.

As of now that's 11 interested parties:

chuys450

the.golden.ax

coleconut

cubelindo

King_Salamon

ianoid

Marc Oberhauser

tjb

dragos

mrfixx

FibroFreak78

That should be enough minimal interest to further the project, all though a few more would be preferred. :P I talked with the guy that I get the custom dye from and he is going to send me a color chart so that I can pick the proper blue and orange colors. He also mentioned that his office/company would be closed untill March 10th becuase of the "holidays?". I don't have any month-long holidays noted on my calendar, but what are you gonna do. That said, these obiviously won't be done for at least a month which should give people a little more time to save up their pennies.

So now comes the design decisions. Let me know what you guys think/prefer about the following choices:

Donkey Kong Controller

Casing - DK Blue - like the original arcade cabinet (nothing to vote on here)

Buttons - Orange - like the original arcade cabinet's jump button (nothing to vote on here)

Joystick Knob - Black - like the original arcade cabinet's joystick (nothing to vote on here)

Keypad Underlay -

a) Red - like the original arcade cabinet's CPO

b) Orange - matching the orange in the marquee and the jump button

Marquee Outline -

a) Red - matching the Keypad Underlay if red is chosen for that

b) Black - like the original arcade cabinet's marquee surround

c) White - like the original arcade cabinet's t-molding

donkeykongsd8.png

Donkey Kong Jr. Controller

Casing - DK Jr. Orange - like the original arcade cabinet (nothing to vote on here)

Buttons -

a) Orange - like the original arcade cabinet's jump button (not my choice, would blend in with the casing)

b) Blue - like the original arcade cabinet's Player 1/Player 2 buttons (probably the best cosmetic choice)

Joystick Knob - Black - like the original arcade cabinet's joystick (nothing to vote on here)

Keypad Underlay -Blue - like the original arcade cabinet's CPO (nothing to vote on here)

Marquee Outline -

a) Blue - matching the keypad underlay

b) Black - like the original arcade cabinet's marquee surround

c) White - like the original arcade cabinet's t-molding

dkjrcabinettv9.jpg

So all that said, let me know what you guys think about some of the color options.

Edited by doubledown

I did just have a crazy thought. What if for the keypad underlay, rather than a solid color with the numbers/symbols, it was the respective cabinets' side art image with the number/symbols printed in their respective locations over the picture. The pic would lose a bit of perspective with the plastic keypad grid, but might not be too bad. I might work on a sample tonight to see how recognizable it is with the extra numbers and the grid.

Better late than never I suppose. I don't know how I missed this. I'm in.

tjb

This is a very preliminary interest check. I'll add you to the list.

So here's an unfinished concept with the Donkey Kong side art for the keypad underlay. The blue grid represents the would-be dyed blue plastic grid of the keypad portion of the controller.

donkeykongoverlaytestyx0.jpg

I think the biggest problem are the numbers/symbols. The image has so many colors that its near impossible to choose just 1 color for them so that they're all clearly visible.

Here's a premilinary concept with the Donkey Kong Jr. side art:

donkeykongjroverlaytestmu7.jpg

I tried white numbers/symbols on the DK Jr. and I think they are nice and visible, shy of the ones in the corners where the backgroud is white. If we went this route (side art keypad underlay) there wouldn't be any white background, it would be colored to match the casing dye color. So in theory the side art for these keypads, like those on the cabinets, would look like a die-cut shape on a colored background. The only major difference is the grid over the top. The biggest issue I see with the Donkey Kong Jr. version is that the grid unfortunately, perfectly covers every face in the pic.

Edited by doubledown

The DK one looks pretty good.. and too bad on the DK Jr one with the faces benign covered.

Not to knock the thread off topic but did everyone see the new Nintendo DSi? It is being shipped in 2 colours.. black and a light blue which makes me think that it matches the original Donkey Kong cabinet... I may get one of those just to support the original Donkey Kong. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by: "instead of overlaying the grid on the graphics, the graphics have been pulled apart to make way for the grid."

The transparent numbers look pretty good though. I could for all intents and purposes cut the grids out of the controllers all together, allowing for a complete view of the art, then they'd be more like INTV controllers with an open number pad. It would cost a bit more due do the extra work of cutting and sanding and what not, but would look a bit sharper I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by: "instead of overlaying the grid on the graphics, the graphics have been pulled apart to make way for the grid."

The transparent numbers look pretty good though. I could for all intents and purposes cut the grids out of the controllers all together, allowing for a complete view of the art, then they'd be more like INTV controllers with an open number pad. It would cost a bit more due do the extra work of cutting and sanding and what not, but would look a bit sharper I think.

Yeah, that crossed my mind, but I didn't know if it was possible. What I mean by pulling the graphics apart is, if you notice, none of the art is covered. I made twelve squares out of the art and then placed them in the holes. So nothing is covered, just displaced.

AX

Yeah, that crossed my mind, but I didn't know if it was possible. What I mean by pulling the graphics apart is, if you notice, none of the art is covered. I made twelve squares out of the art and then placed them in the holes. So nothing is covered, just displaced.

AX

I see. It distorts the image a bit, up near the corners where the straight vertical lines meet the rounded corners, but not horribly. I may try cutting out the keypad grid on a test controller this weekend to see how much of a pain in the ass it is, and how good I can get it to look. Again this is all very preliminary stuff as I have no way to get the dye any sooner than the middle/end of March.

Agreed. I like the outlined numbers/symbols as well.

Do you like it the way I have it or would you like it darker/thicker? The way they are now it about 1 - 2 pt wide with a dark red/brown color like my avatar as the boarder color. The transaprent color on the numbers is the same orange from the border, but it is skewed by the fact that it is transparent and mixes with whatever is behind it. If it were a little brighter it wouldn't do that as much.

Ax