IGNORED

Evil Magician Returns (Adventure-type game)

Byte Knight

Hi guys,

Here's the game running on the real hardware. It runs fine on my Atari Jr. but doesn't work on my hacked Flashback II. Batari's helping me to get it to run on the FB II.

post-16548-1238540839_thumb.jpg

I also made a manual for the game here:

EMRmanual.pdf

I burned a copy for myself and played level one for about 45 minutes. What is up with the timer? The best I get is to the screen just outside the castle then I die. I think I have the fastest route.

Hi guys,

Here's the game running on the real hardware. It runs fine on my Atari Jr. but doesn't work on my hacked Flashback II. Batari's helping me to get it to run on the FB II.

I burned a copy for myself and played level one for about 45 minutes. What is up with the timer? The best I get is to the screen just outside the castle then I die. I think I have the fastest route.

It's beatable - don't take time to snipe the wizards unless they get in your way...

Hi guys,

EMRonAtari.jpg

Just curious, how do you have that 2600 Jr. plugged into your television? Looks like you're getting a lot of interference.. Are you using a switchbox or an RF to Coaxial adapter?

..Al

Hi guys,

EMRmanual.pdf

Cool manual - thanks for sharing!

Thanks! BTW, I love your Haunted Adventure games - very challenging!

Hi guys,

post-16548-1238540839_thumb.jpg

Just curious, how do you have that 2600 Jr. plugged into your television? Looks like you're getting a lot of interference.. Are you using a switchbox or an RF to Coaxial adapter?

..Al

I noticed that too. And I very highly recommend the RF to coaxial adapter, sold in the AtariAge store. In fact, now that I think about it, I need to buy another one for my new Atari 130XE, so I don't have to steal the ones off my Atari 2600 or Atari 7800. :ponder:

Michael

Hi guys,

..Al

Hi Al,

Actually I am using an RF to Coax adapter. The 2600 Jr has not worked well from the day I got it. It's got a Radio Shack power supply instead of the original so I think it may be that. My other 2600 that works well is elsewhere. This is why I want to get my game working on my hacked FB II!

Hi guys,

It's beatable - don't take time to snipe the wizards unless they get in your way...

Just got beck into my room twice without winning. Finally got back and to the top of the castle and won. You have to be very fast and not the the walls unless I missed a shortcut.

Hi guys,

Just got beck into my room twice without winning. Finally got back and to the top of the castle and won. You have to be very fast and not the the walls unless I missed a shortcut.

Good job! Now try level 2 in the timed mode! :twisted:

Hi guys,

EMRmanual.pdf

Cool manual - thanks for sharing!

Thanks! BTW, I love your Haunted Adventure games - very challenging!

Thank you! :) I'm going to be playing EMR for the next little while; it's a really fun adventure-type game!

Cheers,

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update - batari's got the game working with my hacked Flashback II, except that the inventory strip (score) is a little off. The game is still very playable except for this. To fix this would require a rewrite of the score kernel so I'll probably release it as is... I also lightened up the gray castle, skull castle, and gray key as these were difficult to see on a real TV. The inventory strip still works perfectly on my 2600.

post-16548-1241544895_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

After reading the thread of aftermac's Whack-a-mole game, I realized that my random number generator sucks salmon... I've fixed this so now you'll truly get 14 different game variations when you play level 3. The wizards should appear more randomly as well. I also lightened up some of the gray rooms and objects as they were hard to see on a TV.

emr10.bin

After reading the thread of aftermac's Whack-a-mole game, I realized that my random number generator sucks salmon... I've fixed this so now you'll truly get 14 different game variations when you play level 3.

Are you using the 16-bit random number generator?

No, I didn't have any variables to spare... I used the include div_mul.asm command at the beginning of my code and:

v = ((rand) / 19) + 2 to get a number between 2 and 15.

This is a lot of fun.

Are you planning on releasing this one and the Pirate7 game on cartridge by any chance?

I think you'd have a lot of takers/buyers.

I'd be one.

Good adventures on the 2600 are hard to come by.

Thanks! I would like to get both of these out on cartridge some day, provided there was enough interest...

• 9 months later...

Hi guys,

It's taken a while, but I've got 20 boxed cartridges of EMR available with manual and map. I figured I'd offer them here first because of all the great support.

Let me know if you're interested - 25$ plus $5 shipping.

I'll be on spring break this week, so they won't ship until next week...

post-16548-126849626677_thumb.jpgpost-16548-126849642773_thumb.jpg

post-16548-126849632294_thumb.jpgpost-16548-126849636551_thumb.jpg

Edited by Byte Knight
  • Like 3