IGNORED

Achievements that suck

ianoid

I'm not a serious achievement whore, but there are definitely some that really suck. Some games have more suck than others.

My feeling is that the Rock Band and Guitar Hero achievements mostly suck. There are a ton of online only achievements. I think that games should have no more than 10% online only achievements. And there are a bunch that reward expert play and beginner play. I often skip the beginner levels, so why can't I get the achievements for easier levels when I complete the hard levels?

I like achievements that force you to play the game differently, or to explore the breadth of a game. Ones that are just drudge fests are cheap and time wasting.

An achievement I really liked getting was the pacifist in Geometry Wars and Robotron. When they take a classic arcade title and add new ways to play, I think they are taking better advantage of the platform.

Some achievement indeed do stack. For instance if you complete a play through of the Halo 3 campaign on the hardest difficulty you will unlock the achievements for normal and easy as well. But sadly other games require you to play through multiple times to get an achievement for each difficulty level (Quake 4) I agree, online achievements should be kept low unless the game is online only. 10% sounds about right. It's not that i don't enjoy playing online, but as Lord Helmet pointed out, not everyone is online or even can get online.

I hate achievements that require stuff like 50,000 kills online. Chances are, I'm not going to have interest in a game long enough to ever get an achievement like this, but I guess that would depend on the game.

ALSO - games that don't stack achievements! For example Gun. If you complete it on 'Insane' you get an achievement. But to then get the achievements for Hard, Medium & Easy you have to complete it three more times! Ballbags to that! :x

It's also very hard to play some games online because nobody even plays them anymore and if they do play it's sometimes only a certain mode.

That's another great reason NOT to have online achievements...they only reward people that buy the new game or the popular game. I can understand it from a business perspective...but as a gamer, the idea sucks.

I hate achievements that you can only get by playing the game a second time through. When I've just finished a 40 hour+ RPG the last thing I really want to do is play through it all again so I can get some dumb item or enter some secret area and get my achievement.

Tempest

One of the latest "dumb-ass" achievements I've run across is in the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection....

Each game on the collection has one achievement......so you'd think that the achievement would at least be beating the game...........but NOOOOOO, not on Ecco the Dolphin.

You get 'Communication is the Key'.......from talking to another dolphin..........which is basically the first thing you do after starting the game. :roll:

I can't stand online achievements. It's very hard to beat anyone in Tetris! It's also very hard to play some games online because nobody even plays them anymore and if they do play it's sometimes only a certain mode.

I'll play you in Tetris.

I've got it and never really tried to play it online.

My gamertag is DixieWhiskey81.

It's also very hard to play some games online because nobody even plays them anymore and if they do play it's sometimes only a certain mode.

That's another great reason NOT to have online achievements...they only reward people that buy the new game or the popular game. I can understand it from a business perspective...but as a gamer, the idea sucks.

Since my last comment on the subject of achievements, I've taken part in some occasional achievement pursuit. Unlike the original poster, I find any achievement which "forces you to play the game differently" to be total bullshit.

Achievements like "Pacifist" on Geometry Wars are fiddly crap to me. Two games I've been playing lately are particularly bad about having irrelevant achievements: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and Soul Calibur IV. Both have a bunch of lame achievements which are things you would never ordinarily do in the game, but are mandatory for unlocking other stuff.

I much prefer the achievements which show progress through the game without stupid shit tacked on. EDF 2017, Enchanted Arms, Civilization Revolution, and the Dynasty Warriors games are like this.

On the topic of online achievements, I generally ignore them. They're pretty meaningless overall since most of them need to be acquired in Ranked Matches, which I never play. And most of the people who have them only do because they've "farmed" them.

But ultimately, acheivements are of dubious meaning. There are some games where they can be used to gauge how competent someone is at a game or how much effort they've spent on it, but those are really a rarity. If I were a game maker, I'd make all achievements similar to the ones in that Avatar game. Anyone who played the game would have a large number of achievements quickly. The reason why is I feel achievements are more of an advertising tool than anything else. If I were browsing my friend's gamer profiles and kept seeing Avatar with a lot of points on it, I'd say to myself "Wow. These guys who like the games I do seem to really enjoy this game and play it enough to get lots of achievements. I gotta get it." I wonder if Avatar's sales have been boosted because of all the achievement farmers out there.

Maybe rentals......I don't think anyone would want to buy that game.

And sometimes I think of myself as an "achievement whore".....but then I don't. Because if I was a true whore, I would download the shittiest of shit games just for the achievements.....such as Yaris. I won't go that far.

Being the first person to successfully eat a live porcupine.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.

As far as the 360 goes, I've always thought achievements were a great idea when done well. Ive seen youtube videos where people try to show how to do things like dig up all the dirt in a Dig Dug level. That's the kind of single minded determination that I like a game company to reward. Kind of like modern day Activison patches. I didn't realize there were ones for things like "pressing start." Now the idea sounds plretty lame to me.

i dont tend to unlock every achievement, but recently i found my self trying to 100% sonic's genesis collection. got all but 3 - beating mean bean machine and the 2 vectorman ones...

the only ones that got me angry were with the bonus disc for quake 4. i had beaten the hell out of quake 2 back in the day, and when i went through the end of the first level, it said i had unlocked an acheivement for 0 points. fucking dissappointing

The Vectorman achievements were the first ones I went after in the Genesis collection. I always liked the Vectorman series and wished they would bring it back. I always thought Vectorman would have been a cooler mascot for Sega...rather than Sonic.

I'll probably never get the achievement for beating MBM. That game is ungodly amounts of hard. Back in the day, I only made it to level 3. Now, I'm doing good to try and get past level 2. :x

I didn't realize there were ones for things like "pressing start." Now the idea sounds plretty lame to me.

It was a Simpson game poking fun at video games. In that case the achievement "Press START to Play" was a joke...literally.

The Avatar Burning Earth achievements are a valid bitch in regards to sucking though. You can get 1000/1000 in about 1 minute and the thing of it is, you really don't have to do anything special to get them but play. If they were joking when they implemented them...the joke was lost on me. Although it sounds like maybe the Simpsons one was lost on a lot of people which is surprising since as far as I know The Simpsons has always been a comedy. I'd be curious if those same people thought some of the time challenge achievements in that game were lame. The reason I say that is because they are some of the hardest achievements to get, no joking!!

I'll probably never get the achievement for beating MBM. That game is ungodly amounts of hard. Back in the day, I only made it to level 3. Now, I'm doing good to try and get past level 2. :x

I seem to recall that game had cheat codes or a debug menu that let you select the level you want. Use that and save, and just keep trying on the last level. You'll eventually get it, sometimes the AI screws up badly and hands victory to you.

Edit - The code to get to the final stage in easy mode is YHBB (Yellow bean, has bean (Orange), and two blue beans.

Edited by Atariboy

Don't care for achievements in general, but I hate ultra lame stuff (you opened a door, yay) or the really hard stuff I wouldn't go after anyways (get a billion points without duying) Yeah, I may never get a billion points on your game in the first place, to heck with not duying.