IGNORED

Rare arcade games you've seen

retrorussell

I have seen a lot of stuff over the years. Most I've forgotten where. But at my (Previously) local skating rink, there was a Super Mario Bros. 3 with a timer.

There was a Bombjack machine in Florida somewhere I played. It had Mario and Luigi, tossing Bob-Ombs at goombas. I spent -YEARS- looking for an NES or SNES port of this mythical (to me) Mario game.

My local cinema had a Rainbow Edition SF2 SCE

And, a dedicated Metal Slug machine. It was a Neo*Geo but it only had one game, and full sideart and marquee for Metal Slug.

Uncommon Games that I came across in Ireland don't suppose they where all rare

Hoi Mayday (Defender'esque shooter used Defender Roms apparently)

Battle Of Atlantis (Scramble'esque used Scramble Board apparently)

Sega Mister Viking

Jaleco Field Combat

Atari Black Widow

Atari Eye Robot

Sega Tac Scan

Satan Of Saturn

Williams Star Rider

Magical Spots

Sega Space Fury

Exidy Victory

Bally Midway MFG Space Encounters (Cabaret Version)

Sega Space Tactics (Sitdown Version)

Williams Sinistar (Just once in London on a school trip)

Tommahawk 777

Bally Midway MFG Discs Of Tron

Sega Subroc 3D

Stern Rescue

Exidy Crossbow

Atari Qix

Konami Juno First

Wall Street

No Mans Land

Super Don Quixote

Cliffhanger

Mylstar Mach 3

Atari Crystal Castles (Was not common in Ireland

Atari Warlords (Was not common in Ireland)

Williams Hyperball although not a video game deserves a mention came across it once in Holland

http://www.flippers.com/images/Will-Hyperball561049.JPG

Edited by Bountybob

I remember a couple Konami/Stern games that were both rare and not particularly great.

Jungler, a game with snakes that shoot each other in a non-jungle setting, and

Rescue, a sort of Choplifter game with dual joysticks, and taking place over the ocean.

I came across Rescue once at a Train Station in England around 1984/85 Didn't even have time to play it

couldn't even remember the name of it until I saw it working on MAME

Bega's Battle by Data East - a laser disc title that didn't last long at Aladdin's Castle

Make Trax by Williams

I, Robot by Atari - my second favorite coin-op

Crazy Climber

Venture by Exidy

Came across an Exidy Venture Once (Weird game), Crazy Climber in a cocktail cabinet once,

Crazy Climber upright once late on in 1987(Nice cabinet).Came across Exidy Pepper 2 a few times

don't know if that was rare ? Exidy Cheyenne Exidy Bandido (bootleg of Sheriff)

• 3 weeks later...

My dad has worked for a amusement distributor for near 46 years.

I do remember seeing a old pong arcade growing up. But my fave was a old driving game called Speedway. The game was still in very good condition, but the owner of the company decided to.....trash it. :x :sad:.

Out in the open, years ago in Myrtle Beach, I saw and played Stunt Cycle.

The owner of the arcade wanted 200.00 for it, but that was way back in 1986.

I remember the laserdisc game Cliff Hanger which was basically a game with footage of the anime Lupin III. Since this was 1983 and anime didn't occupy the place it does now in USA culture, it didn't seem to take off in the arcades and nobody would make the connection with Lupin until anime became really popular by the late 1990s.

Anyone remember that other laserdisc game, Thayer's Quest? I saw an actual game complete with its keypad and I hear a home version was actually made recently for the PC.

I remember the laserdisc game Cliff Hanger which was basically a game with footage of the anime Lupin III. Since this was 1983 and anime didn't occupy the place it does now in USA culture, it didn't seem to take off in the arcades and nobody would make the connection with Lupin until anime became really popular by the late 1990s.

Anyone remember that other laserdisc game, Thayer's Quest? I saw an actual game complete with its keypad and I hear a home version was actually made recently for the PC.

Check out this sweet page on Thayer's Quest. The whole website is about laserdisc arcade games.

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/pages/tq.asp

Edited by retrorussell

Whoo, let's see... Eyes seemed to be pretty common in mid-Michigan, and I probably have more nostalgia for that game than anyone should. The death scenes are among the most memorable in an early video game... the iris of your eyeball spins around like it's really dizzy or really sarcastic, while a cool oscillating sound plays in the background.

There was another game I recall from my teen years called The Glob. It was horrible, looking like PC shareware designed for an EGA monitor. Your glob would stick to the tops of ceilings, dropping on the world's most neurotic creatures. The game was malfunctioning at the bowling alley I visited, and was set to permanent free play. Eventually, I got so bored/annoyed with it that I told the arcade repair man about it, and he tore the cabinet apart right in front of my eyes!

I found a Time Pilot '84 cabinet in the same arcade. I wasn't really impressed with it... you could tell that it wasn't developed by the same design team as the original. I think Okamoto left Konami around the time that Time Pilot '84 was in development, so that explains why it was pretty mediocre.

I remember seeing Marvin's Maze (isometric Pac-Man, basically) and Future Spy (repurposed Zaxxon) at an arcade in Wisconsin. Another arcade in Michigan had Snake Pit, Locomotion, and Make Trax/Crush Roller, which is in the running for having the most annoying opening music in any video game, ever. I still grit my teeth when I hear it... it's that bad. A Meijer in mid-Michigan used to have Return of the Invaders (!!!) and 800 Leagues, a cheesy Scramble hack taking place underwater. A movie theater I visited in Lansing had Joust 2: Survival of the Fittest, which I understand is a very rare game... and not an especially fun one.

I could go on like this forever, really. I remember obscure arcade games as well as the details of my mother's second marriage or my own graduation! Pretty scary!

Whoo, let's see... Eyes seemed to be pretty common in mid-Michigan, and I probably have more nostalgia for that game than anyone should. The death scenes are among the most memorable in an early video game... the iris of your eyeball spins around like it's really dizzy or really sarcastic, while a cool oscillating sound plays in the background.

There was another game I recall from my teen years called The Glob. It was horrible, looking like PC shareware designed for an EGA monitor. Your glob would stick to the tops of ceilings, dropping on the world's most neurotic creatures. The game was malfunctioning at the bowling alley I visited, and was set to permanent free play. Eventually, I got so bored/annoyed with it that I told the arcade repair man about it, and he tore the cabinet apart right in front of my eyes!

I found a Time Pilot '84 cabinet in the same arcade. I wasn't really impressed with it... you could tell that it wasn't developed by the same design team as the original. I think Okamoto left Konami around the time that Time Pilot '84 was in development, so that explains why it was pretty mediocre.

I remember seeing Marvin's Maze (isometric Pac-Man, basically) and Future Spy (repurposed Zaxxon) at an arcade in Wisconsin. Another arcade in Michigan had Snake Pit, Locomotion, and Make Trax/Crush Roller, which is in the running for having the most annoying opening music in any video game, ever. I still grit my teeth when I hear it... it's that bad. A Meijer in mid-Michigan used to have Return of the Invaders (!!!) and 800 Leagues, a cheesy Scramble hack taking place underwater. A movie theater I visited in Lansing had Joust 2: Survival of the Fittest, which I understand is a very rare game... and not an especially fun one.

I could go on like this forever, really. I remember obscure arcade games as well as the details of my mother's second marriage or my own graduation! Pretty scary!

My sister and I played a lot of Eyes back in the day. I used to like Make Trax quite a bit and played it a lot at Chuck E. Cheese, though the opening music is pretty bad. I saw Return Of The Invaders once and it wasn't very good. Joust 2, I think, is awful. There should be an upgrade where you can buy better gear for your ostrich, or breed new ones like Chocobos!

I never saw Bega's Battle at the arcade but watched a clip of it on YouTube. Looks like one terrible fricking game. I did see Badlands at an arcade, and that game's hilarious.

My sister and I played a lot of Eyes back in the day. I used to like Make Trax quite a bit and played it a lot at Chuck E. Cheese, though the opening music is pretty bad. I saw Return Of The Invaders once and it wasn't very good. Joust 2, I think, is awful. There should be an upgrade where you can buy better gear for your ostrich, or breed new ones like Chocobos!

I never saw Bega's Battle at the arcade but watched a clip of it on YouTube. Looks like one terrible fricking game. I did see Badlands at an arcade, and that game's hilarious.

I have Eyes loaded on my MAME cabinet - interesting game.

Make Trax - I agree, the music in that game is abrasive.

Laser Disc games - never liked them and never will...

Yeah, a no-frills Space Invaders clone pasted on top of Harmageddon footage isn't my idea of a good time. It just makes me want to watch the movie and forget all about the game.

That reminds me... I saw a lot of oddities at a quaint little amusement park in Illinois. The floom ride that was the park's centerpiece was sandwiched by two arcades, both packed with laser disc games and other curiosities. Us vs. Them! Cliff Hanger! Roadrunner! Bank Panic! Chinese Hero, the arcade version of Kung Fu Heroes on the NES! I don't know what happened to that place, but if there are arcades in heaven, I'm sure they'll be among them!

I never came across it either.I presume the point of the game was to progress through the space invaders game

in order to see what happened in the cartoon, bit of a cheap gimmick.Well it was an experimental time and not

every game was fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, a no-frills Space Invaders clone pasted on top of Harmageddon footage isn't my idea of a good time. It just makes me want to watch the movie and forget all about the game.

That reminds me... I saw a lot of oddities at a quaint little amusement park in Illinois. The floom ride that was the park's centerpiece was sandwiched by two arcades, both packed with laser disc games and other curiosities. Us vs. Them! Cliff Hanger! Roadrunner! Bank Panic! Chinese Hero, the arcade version of Kung Fu Heroes on the NES! I don't know what happened to that place, but if there are arcades in heaven, I'm sure they'll be among them!

I rather liked Bank Panic. It got pretty dang hard later on though, with you having almost no time to shoot the baddies when they shoved a customer out of the way and shot at you in the space of about a nanosecond.