IGNORED

Rare arcade games you've seen

retrorussell

I've played a few obscure systems in my time:

I, Robot -- I spent a few days in residence as part of the "University Orientation" a few months before classes started (this was in 1988). The arcade in the residence included this apparently very rare game. I have never seen it anywhere else.

Thayers' Quest -- I saw one in an arcade in (probably) Massachusetts in the mid-1980s. Unfortunately, it was out-of-order, so I never got to play it.

Time Traveller -- the local bowling alley/arcade where I grew up had one for a brief while. I think I played it once.

Generic B&W Pac-man rip-off -- a local discount department store (Kresgee's) hosted this for a while, ca. 1982. I don't remember what it was called; the game was a local legend because it was such poor quality.

Generic B&W Pac-man rip-off -- a local discount department store (Kresgee's) hosted this for a while, ca. 1982. I don't remember what it was called; the game was a local legend because it was such poor quality.

It wasn't Piranha was it? Black and white.. that's strange. Maybe the monitor wasn't working properly.

I, Robot -- I spent a few days in residence as part of the "University Orientation" a few months before classes started (this was in 1988). The arcade in the residence included this apparently very rare game. I have never seen it anywhere else.

I, Robot was a sweet game. My second favorite arcade game to Galaga. They had an I, Robot cabinet at my local Aladdin's Castle for quite some time when it first came out.

This dedicated "Eagle" might find it's way to my basement if I can talk the guy down a little

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/vgm/1485236726.html

Wow! That's a really nice one - I hope you can get it...

He is down to $190....maybe $140 cash will get this baby in my basement ;)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/vgm/1532839076.html

Here is one you don't see everyday...(Spacewars)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/clt/1539208571.html

I'd buy it

Me too. That one is rare AND classic.

Tempest

I debated it (if it is even still for sale) but it comes down to space (as always) and I would have to ditch a pinball machine to fit it.....it is still a possibility of course ;)

Here is one you don't see everyday...(Spacewars)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/clt/1539208571.html

I'd buy it

Me too. That one is rare AND classic.

Tempest

I debated it (if it is even still for sale) but it comes down to space (as always) and I would have to ditch a pinball machine to fit it.....it is still a possibility of course ;)

Can't you just kick someone out of the house? :)

Oh the machines I have seen in the places I have been! LOL! If only I owned any of them....

Growing up, the county fair arcade tent always had a Death Race 2000 machine I LOVED. Never realized how rare it was until recently.

Cedar Point had a great looking Space Wars for many years that I played the heck out of. It is gone now :-(

A local mall had a Time Traveller that they sold for CHEAP when the arcade went under. I had no room for the game in my apartment at the time and let it go!

Local arcade growing up had a sweet Crazy Climber cocktail.

That's a few that I remember. I'm sure I've walked by many others....

• 1 month later...

I know this topic is old but it's interesting so I'll bump it up if no one minds :D

I own a very rare arcade game called The Act: An Interactive Comedy. The game is really a prototype - the company worked on it for six years and pulled it after testing problems. The game itself plays just fine and it's complete although it probably could have used a few tweaks to get people to try it out.

To give you an idea of how rare these are, only about 40 were produced, most of those were kits. A couple of full cabinets are out there. Of the kits they only put 10 up on eBay, the rest were sold to people in the company. I was one of the lucky few to grab a kit and I put it into a BeachHead 2000 cabinet I had. Unfortunately the knob controller stopped working completely a few months ago and I replaced it with a trackball for the time being. If anyone is ever in the area of the Valley Fair Mall in West Valley Utah, you can come in and check this out, it's only 2 tokens (50¢) to play.

Here are some video links:

Also I have a Warlords Cocktail, the PCB is being repaired at the moment.

As for rare games I have come across but don't own, last year I saw:

Atari SteepleChase

Atari Starship 1

Atari Space Race (it was broken, missing the joysticks unfortunately)

Atari QWAK (also not working)

Atari Gran Trak 10 (not working)

Atari Sprint 2 (same as above)

Cinematronics Rip Off (ditto)

Vectorbeam Space War (ditto)

Virtuality rings (again, ditto)

More info on where I found all those here: http://z6.invisionfree.com/arcadeheroes/index.php?showtopic=1879

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian

The Act sounds like an incredibly cool game!

I only saw Final Blow at the beach once.. that eventually became James Buster Douglas Boxing on the Sega Genesis.

Got some videos of rare stuff on my YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyclimber80?feature=mhw4

The Act sounds like an incredibly cool game!

I only saw Final Blow at the beach once.. that eventually became James Buster Douglas Boxing on the Sega Genesis.

Got some videos of rare stuff on my YouTube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyclimber80?feature=mhw4

Huh, I've never seen that GhostBusters arcade game, what a weird one. One rare game I'd really like to play on real hardware one day is Reactor. I always enjoyed the conversion on the 2600 so I'm sure that the arcade is even more entertaining.

I have a 2 player Joust sit down arcade. I found it 3 years ago. It has no ROM board in it. It was almost mint condition. It was as dusty as hell it self. I cleaned it up. I got it for free if you can believe that. A man had it in back of a old store that closed down. He was going to throw it away.

I still can't even imagine how many arcades were thrown away over the years. I would love to save them all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably the rarest game I've seen, is Guardian. I own the only one I've ever even HEARD of, let alone seen. The machine pictured on the KLOV site is my machine.

Another game I'd never heard of was Donkey Kong II, NOT Junio, which they have at Funspot. It's a hyper-difficult version of the original DK. They also have a Cloak & Dagger there, both of those are the only places I've ever seen them, and I've been to a few classic cons.

Probably the rarest game I've seen, is Guardian. I own the only one I've ever even HEARD of, let alone seen. The machine pictured on the KLOV site is my machine.

Another game I'd never heard of was Donkey Kong II, NOT Junio, which they have at Funspot. It's a hyper-difficult version of the original DK. They also have a Cloak & Dagger there, both of those are the only places I've ever seen them, and I've been to a few classic cons.

Never heard of anything you mentioned except for Cloak and Dagger. We had a few of those floating around in the area (Tigard)I grew up in.