IGNORED

Rare arcade games you've seen

retrorussell

I think it is a UK thing, never heard of it here.. not that I get around though.

Any video game, or anything, with the word "bible" in it I will steer clear of. Not that I am completely anti-religion or anything but I find it boring. Just my 2 cents, er, pence.

I'm not sure if you would call this an "Arcade Game" or if it's amazingly rare. It definitely is really old and I have never seen another one like it.

It's at a farmers market I frequent and people still play it. I think it's really cool however, have finally taken a pic, and wanted to share.

post-2879-1243410755_thumb.jpg

I used to see Sprint 2 everywhere, but all the others mentioned I hadn't seen in many places.

I think I saw Zarzon once at a drive-in theatre. It seemed drive-in theatres often had really hard-to-find games.

Peter Pack-Rat and Road Runner were kind of rare.

Irem's Red Alert was super-rare.

I'm working on more and more YouTube videos of rare arcade games. I'm not usually one to self-promote but I thought some people might get a kick out of some of these rarities.

http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyclimber80

A friend of mine was an intern or something at Atari during the 80s. One day he was wandering down a hall whistling randomly. Someone ran out of an office, grabbed my friend's shoulders saying "THAT'S IT! THAT'S IT! THAT'S WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!". That random whistle became the Peter Pack-Rat music.

• Haha 1

I used to pplay : Naughty Boy , back in time. Since i got the PCB , the same i use to play on it! , the guy from the arcade gave it to me!

Also Pinball Action , on a video pinball cab. That one in fact :

miniflip1_640.jpg

The guy also gave me that cab! :)

I used to pplay : Naughty Boy , back in time. Since i got the PCB , the same i use to play on it! , the guy from the arcade gave it to me!

miniflip1_640.jpg

Jeez.. nice guy to just give you this stuff. Wish people could have just given me the games I have for free. Instead I had to shell out thousands. Oh well, I've paid more than that to have my teeth fixed (even after coverage!).

miniflip1_640.jpg

Jeez.. nice guy to just give you this stuff. Wish people could have just given me the games I have for free. Instead I had to shell out thousands. Oh well, I've paid more than that to have my teeth fixed (even after coverage!).

He gave me lot of other things in fact. I know him since more than 20 years now.

And i can not count how many PCB he gave me , He gave me few pinballs, 3 or 4 arcade cabinet etc...

The last arcade cabinet he gave was a Daytonna USA Deluxe! (the big one with the retro projector). As i can not store all that stuff , i also give to friends. (In fact i make him gave directly the Daytonna to a friend as i could not get it for me due to free space i don' t have :( ) That's better to not have business between friends.

Now retro-gaming is became a real business , it is not good . With few friends and on some Internet forums with have we try to keep a "non business" oriented community. It is lot better!

Don't know if it was rare but got to play Death Race.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7541

I used to go to the arcade when I was 6 or 7. The op was a old man by the name of "Cotton".

I only got to play it a few times. I wasn't my favorite game. I liked Stunt Cycle and a projection game where you flew a bi-plane and shot at other planes. BTW Does anyone know what the name of that game was?

They now have a rebuilt Death Race at Funspot in Laconia, NH. Check it out.

P5280009_01.jpg

A friend of mine was an intern or something at Atari during the 80s. One day he was wandering down a hall whistling randomly. Someone ran out of an office, grabbed my friend's shoulders saying "THAT'S IT! THAT'S IT! THAT'S WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!". That random whistle became the Peter Pack-Rat music.

Neat! IMO, that's the only reason to play that game, to hear the whistle music.

There's an ancient game (probably pre-70s) I'm trying to recall the name of.. it's a simple projector screen with maybe a field setting, and simple clay pigeons of light shoot across the screen that you shoot at with a non-mounted rifle. Took up a lot of space.

I think the old vector game Warrior was brought up in the past.. does anyone know where I can get a hold of a picture of the overlay, with the stairways/pits? I need it because I'm going to make a video of the game to put on YouTube and the game is tough to play without it. And it doesn't look right at all without the artwork.

I think the old vector game Warrior was brought up in the past.. does anyone know where I can get a hold of a picture of the overlay, with the stairways/pits? I need it because I'm going to make a video of the game to put on YouTube and the game is tough to play without it. And it doesn't look right at all without the artwork.

The artwork your referring to was a backdrop, not an overlay. It was a backdrop using mirrors in a similar manner to Space Invaders. The MAME website should have the image your asking about available for download to use when running the game in MAME. I have seen it there in the past, but have not been on the MAME site recently.. I think trying to play Armor Attack without its overlay (as opposed to backdrop), is even more difficult than Warrior. Warrior got a backdrop/mirror set-up because it was produced by Vectorbeam (actually, the last game ever produced by Vectorbeam). Larry Rosenthal's Vectorbeam generally made higher quality machines when compared to Cinematronics. Better electrical components, plywood cabinets instead of particle board, etc.. Cinematronics management was too cheap to use a backdrop/mirror combo on Armor Attack like Tim Skelly wanted, instead he had to settle for a transparent overlay. Skelly left Cinematronics because of their notorious "cheapness" and their lack of financial appreciation for his talents, which had made them a lot of money.

I learned these tidbits of Vectorbeam/Cinematronics history over the years from reading the transcriptions of a few Tim Skelly interviews..

The artwork your referring to was a backdrop, not an overlay

I meant to say "background". I think I've been to the Mame site and didn't see where you can find backgrounds. I've looked it up elsewhere and can't find it there either. Pooey!

Crossbow may be kind of rare.. I had seen it in a number of places as a youth. I thought it had some cool voice samples in it. But since I was never good at aiming in gun/rifle games, I enjoy it much more on an emulator, with the mouse as a controller.

Don't know if it was rare but got to play Death Race.

I used to go to the arcade when I was 6 or 7. The op was a old man by the name of "Cotton".

I only got to play it a few times. I wasn't my favorite game. I liked Stunt Cycle and a projection game where you flew a bi-plane and shot at other planes. BTW Does anyone know what the name of that game was?

They now have a rebuilt Death Race at Funspot in Laconia, NH. Check it out.

P5280009_01.jpg

That's interesting - I thought the monitor was elevated more than that but the pix at KLOV confirm that's how they were. Unless there are other versions of the cab that are not pictured on KLOV.

I was at The Coliseum last night with the kids. Down in the lower level bar they had two Galaga/Ms. Pac-Man cocktails and a multi-classic game cabinet with at least 30 to choose from.

I sat down at the Galaga cocktail (of course!) and got 120,000 on my first play - not too shabby for a little rust. After playing a round of Ms. Pac-Man, I got on that multi-classic cabinet and played Space Invaders, Asteroids, Satan's Hollow and Robotron. Asteroids took some getting used to with using the joystick to turn left and right.

I tell you what, the arcade versions of Asteroids and Space Invaders are TOUGH compared to their home console comrades. I remembered this being true back in the day but last night served as a reminder.

As for The Coliseum itself, the ambience is right with the "kid carpet," lighting and paint scheme. They had about a half-dozen skee ball games that played our arms off, three air hockey tables, a small merry-go-round that my daughter road 1200 times, those basketball games with the mobile backboard and some kind of two-seated simulator thing (is it supposed to be a rollercoaster? - I don't know).

I think the game selection was too heavily concentrated on racing games. They had about four NASCAR racing games, two "Need For Speed: Underground," two other car racers and about four motorcycle (or jet ski?) racers. Now, most if not all of these do head-to-head racing which takes up more space but still the selection appeared tilted toward the racing games.

I would have liked if The Coliseum had more classic arcade games as they do have the room for it. Additionally, I would have liked if they placed the games in the main arcade instead of burying them in the lower level bar. I only recall one pinball machine in the joint and that was a Simpson's down at the bar on free play.

Additional items of interest at The Coliseum is a bowling alley, a poker room, a bar, restaurant and an ice cream shoppe.

Despite the shortcomings, the kids and I had a great time and I pooped them out as they were still asleep when I left for work this morning.

Here are the games I found at the HersheyPark arcade (over by the Kissing Tower area of the park):

Q*bert's Qubes

Galaga

Pole Position x3 (two cabinet and one cockpit)

The Safe

BerZerk

Millipede

Monaco GP

Operation Wolf

All these games were out of service

Ms. Pac-Man x2

Dig Dug

Mr. Do!

Joust

I also found two of my favorite pinball machines Comet and Cyclone (out of service).

Very disappointing to say the least that a lot of these machines are out of service and need repaired.

Broken Comet and Cyclone makes me sad... I love those.

"Ride the Cyclone! Ride the Ferris Wheel!"

I played Comet but Cyclone was FUBAR'd

I would hate to think that they are just going to send these things to the landfill. I can't believe how many classic machines needed repair - it doesn't look good that's for sure.