IGNORED

Galactic Chase conversion

_Fandal_

Hi all!

I'm trying to convert Galactic Chase from A8 to 5200 as you might know... Everything was going pretty fine. I created source code of A8 version, changed HW registers for GTIA and Pokey, set up new DLI a VBI vectors, changed shadow registers for Antic, fixed joystick control and couple of another problems. The game plays fine now (under emulator) but I got stuck on keypad controls. This is my very first A8->5200 conversion and I need your help now!! I have no idea how to check keys properly. I'm only able to check if some key was pressed but I need to know if no key is pressed as well. How to do that?! Why am I asking? I'm checking if "start" key was pressed and then I start the game. But KBCODE still holds last pressed key and the game starts again and again and again and again... I'm lost! Please help!

F.

;-----------------------------------------------------------------KBCodeVector
; KBCodeVector
;
; This is our Keypad continuation vector routine. The default Keyboard IRQ
; vector reads the KBCODE and converts the value for us but only
; stores this value in the accumulator.
;
; The default Keypad continuation vector just pops the stack and returns from
; the interrupt so the key press value is lost unless we store it somewhere.

KBCodeVector
; Debounce logic here: rwl 8/08/03
; on entry A=key just pressed
CMP KEYLAST
BNE KEYOK
LDY KEYDB;SAME KEY, CHECK DEBOUNCE TIMER  -- sample code has ldx
BNE KEYDONE;IF DEBOUNCE ISN'T 0, REJECT THE KEY
KEYOK
STA CH;sample had "KEY"				  
STA KEYLAST;STORE KEYPRESS
KEYDONE
LDA #$03;RESET DEBOUNCE TIMER
STA KEYDB

JMP XITVBL;

You need to debounce the keys via interrupt, see above example.

Hi all!

I'm trying to convert Galactic Chase from A8 to 5200 as you might know... Everything was going pretty fine. I created source code of A8 version, changed HW registers for GTIA and Pokey, set up new DLI a VBI vectors, changed shadow registers for Antic, fixed joystick control and couple of another problems. The game plays fine now (under emulator) but I got stuck on keypad controls. This is my very first A8->5200 conversion and I need your help now!! I have no idea how to check keys properly. I'm only able to check if some key was pressed but I need to know if no key is pressed as well. How to do that?! Why am I asking? I'm checking if "start" key was pressed and then I start the game. But KBCODE still holds last pressed key and the game starts again and again and again and again... I'm lost! Please help!

F.

I vary the code a little bit in my various conversions depending on need, etc, but this one is from one of my conversion. It looks like I check SKSTAT to check if a key is actually pressed.

STIMER   =   $E809
KBCODE   =   STIMER
SKCTL	=   $E80F
SKSTAT   =   SKCTL

GetConsole:
lda SKSTAT
and #4
bne ret7
lda KBCODE
and #$0F<<1
cmp #$01<<1
beq ret5
cmp #$03<<1
beq ret3
cmp #$0c<<1
beq ret6
cmp #$04<<1
bne ret7
jmp resetkey
;	cmp #$04<<1
;	beq reset
ret7:
lda #7
rts
ret3:
lda #3
rts
ret5:
lda #5
rts
ret6:
lda #6
rts

Also going from memory I think anywhere a 3 is stored to SKCTL you need to store a 2 instead. If you don't do this it will probably work under emulation but not on the real thing.

Thank you very much for your help guys!

It seems I've done it!

Please check it on real HW as I don't have it...

F.

Can you convert that file to a .bin? That way I can load it onto my Atarimax flashcart and try it out on an actual 5200.

This a .bin file (8192 bytes). Just rename it if you need it.

F.

Thank you very much for your help guys!

It seems I've done it!

Please check it on real HW as I don't have it...

F.

Can you convert that file to a .bin? That way I can load it onto my Atarimax flashcart and try it out on an actual 5200.

This a .bin file (8192 bytes). Just rename it if you need it.

F.

Well, I renamed it and although it still registered as a cartridge image I was still able to load it onto the flashcart by selecting "all files". The game boots up to the rainbow Fuji symbol the the attract mode and then starts when the Start button is depressed. Unfortunately the ship immediately moves to the far right and remains there no matter what position you place the controller in. It will fire though with the two lower side buttons. Pause and Reset have no effect. I pressed all of the keypad buttons in order to see what effect they had and afterwards the ship would no longer fire. After pressing Start it commenced a new game, the ship moved to the far right again and you could fire once more at will. The graphics are perfect with no distortions. Sounds is present as well.

I'm using the stock 5200 controller.

Oh my, damned 5200 controllers. It's weird. I took joystick position detection routine from another 5200 game.

I use this piece of code:

read_joystick

txa ; X = player 0 or 1

asl @

tax

lda ZP_11,x

sec

sbc #$70

bcs joystick_right

eor #$FF

adc #$01

cmp #$10

bcc no_movement

jmp L_3286 ; joystick left

no_movement

jmp L_32A2

joystick_right

cmp #$10

bcc no_movement

jmp L_3260 ; joystick right

What's wrong with this?

I can post source code of the game here, if anobody with more 5200 experiences can fix it.

F.

Playing this on A800win, there seems to be control problems. At first you gotta press up and down to move right and left. Then it seemed to fix itself (?) -- right and left worked properly. Sometimes the button didn't work for me. I've never run into these problems with other 5200 games so I am thinking there are bugs in the control routines.

If you really want anyone to play this on 5200, allow us to hold in the fire button for auto-fire. 5200 button presses can cramp one's hands easier than using the standard Atari 2600/A8 joysticks.

Playing this on A800win, there seems to be control problems. At first you gotta press up and down to move right and left. Then it seemed to fix itself (?) -- right and left worked properly. Sometimes the button didn't work for me. I've never run into these problems with other 5200 games so I am thinking there are bugs in the control routines.

If you really want anyone to play this on 5200, allow us to hold in the fire button for auto-fire. 5200 button presses can cramp one's hands easier than using the standard Atari 2600/A8 joysticks.

This is kinda ugly but this was what I had for the joystick routines in some of my conversions. I think this was running in the VBI, it would fill in STICK0, STICK1 and SPORTA so it was kinda usable by games that read the shadow registers or the hardware PIA register. I never built in any calibration and I may have tweaked the limits on different games.

lda $E802
cmp #114+50
rol stickval
cmp #114-50
rol stickval
lda $E803
cmp #114+50
rol stickval
cmp #114-50
rol stickval
lda $E800
cmp #114+50
rol stickval
cmp #114-50
rol stickval
lda $E801
cmp #114+50
rol stickval
cmp #114-50
rol stickval
sta POTGO
lda stickval
eor #2+8+32+128
pha
and #$0F
sta STICK0
pla
pha
lsr a
lsr a
lsr a
lsr a
STA STICK1
pla
sta SPORTA

First make sure you are setting your interrupts/registers ..

; initialize stuff:
lda  #$02   ; Bit 0 must be 0 for keypad scan!
sta SKCTL
lda #$04	; Enables POT read, otherwise, can't access joystick											  
sta CONSOLR ;
cli		; Enable interrupts

lda	#$40	; Set POKMSK and IRQEN to #$40
sta	POKMSK	; to enable the "other key" interrupt
sta	IRQEN

lda	 #$00		   ;Set Display list pointer
sta	 sDLISTL
sta	 DLISTL
lda	 #$10
sta	 sDLISTH
sta	 DLISTH
lda	 #$f8		   ;Set Charcter Set Base
sta	 CHBASE
lda	 #$22		   ;Enable DMA
sta	 sDMACTL
lda	#$C0		   ; Enable NMI												 
sta	 NMIEN

Here are my routines for horizontal and vertical movement .. see if you can spot anything that can help. My main loop jsr's horizmove, then jsr's vertmove:

horizmove
	lda SPOT0
; Check the value of POT0 to see if the joystick is centered.  
; use value of 120 for centered stick:
;
	lsr			   ;divide by 2 to prevent overflow
	cmp #$1A   ; stick pulled left
	bmi  mvleft
	cmp #$50   ; stick pulled right
	bpl mvright												
	rts

horizmove1
	clc
	sbc	#$78	; Subtract 120 from the POT0 value
	bmi	mvleft	; If this value is negative then the
		; user is pushing to the left
mvright
lda #$00
sta ATRACT	;turn off attract mode when there is joystick input
cpx	#$C8	; If the player is at the right most (used to be $CA)
		; side of the playfield then don't
bne	mvright1; move right
rts
mvright1
	lda	 leftright												  
	sta	 PrevDir		; save off previous direction faced, for middle animation
	lda	 #$01		   ; this code means draw right-facing helicoper
	sta	 leftright
	inx					; Move 1 pixels to the right
	rts

mvleft
lda #$00
sta ATRACT	;turn off attract mode when there is joystick input
cpx	#$30	; If the player is at the left most (used to be $40)
		; side of the playfield then don't
bne	mvleft1	; move left.
rts
mvleft1
	lda	 leftright												  
	sta	 PrevDir		; save off previous direction faced, for middle animation
lda	 #$00		   ; this code means draw right-facing helicoper
	sta	 leftright
	dex					; Move 1 pixels to the left

rts

;********************														
vertmove

lda	SPOT1
;added on 10/27/01 per debro:
	lsr;divide by 2 to prevent overflow
	cmp #$1A ; stick pulled up
	bmi  mvup
	cmp #$50 ; stick pulled down
	bpl mvdown												
	rts
mvdown
	lda	 $20  ; rwltst
cmp	lowbound
bne	mvdown1
rts
mvdown1

;************ Erase Prior Bitmap image in Player's RAM memory **********
	ldy	 #$00

eraseDwn														 
	lda	 erpm1,y		  ;Get data												  
	  sta	 ($20),y	; pl0
	sta	 ($22),y	; pl1													 
	iny
	cpy	 #$0B		   ;Copy 11 bytes
	bne	 eraseDwn
	inc	 $20		; pl0
	inc	 $22		; pl1

DwnOut	rts
mvup

lda	 $20

cmp #$2d; check if too high
bne	mvup1

rts
mvup1

;************ Erase Prior Bitmap image in Player's RAM memory **********
	ldy	 #$00

eraseUp														 
   lda	 erpm1,y		  ;Get data												  

sta	 ($20),y  ;pl0
	sta	 ($22),y  ;pl1
	iny
	cpy	 #$0B		   ;Copy 11 bytes
	bne	 eraseUp

dec	 $20  ;pl0
	dec	 $22  ;pl1

UpOut	rts

From another game's source code here is a sample from my VBIDeferred routine, for the upper triggers:

AfterCHCheck2
; *** 
; *** check bit 4 of SKCTL for upper fire buttons.
; *** debounce upper trigger:
lda UpperTrigCnt	;must init to $00!!!
beq CheckUpperTrig
dec UpperTrigCnt
jmp AfterUpperTrig
CheckUpperTrig
lda SKCTL
AND #$08
beq UpperFireButtonPressed		
; *** end debounce upper trigger
; also use CH
; commented out to get vbi timing to work again, 2/11/06:
AfterUpperTrig		;3/3/06 debounce upper trig
lda CH 
cmp #$06	
bne AfterCHChecks	;AfterCHCHCheckManip 9/6/06
UpperFireButtonPressed		;new 12/24/05
lda #$08
sta UpperTrigCnt

First make sure you are setting your interrupts/registers ..

; initialize stuff:
lda  #$02  ; Bit 0 must be 0 for keypad scan!
sta SKCTL
lda #$04   ; Enables POT read, otherwise, can't access joystick											  
sta CONSOLR;
cli	   ; Enable interrupts

lda	#$40   ; Set POKMSK and IRQEN to #$40
sta	POKMSK   ; to enable the "other key" interrupt
sta	IRQEN

lda	 #$00		  ;Set Display list pointer
sta	 sDLISTL
sta	 DLISTL
lda	 #$10
sta	 sDLISTH
sta	 DLISTH
lda	 #$f8		  ;Set Charcter Set Base
sta	 CHBASE
lda	 #$22		  ;Enable DMA
sta	 sDMACTL
lda	#$C0		  ; Enable NMI												 
sta	 NMIEN

It seems this is my problem on real HW. I'm not familiar with 5200 so I didn't know I must set SKCTL and CONSOLR registers...

Thanks a lot!

F.

Can the arcade version be ported to the 5200?

Okayyy.... you DO understand why porting an Atari 800 game to the 5200 is significantly easier than porting an arcade game... right?

No. I just thought i'd ask.

The 8-bit computers and the 5200 are about 98% the same. Anything else like arcade games, the 2600, the Colecovision, etc., are very different. The only programs you can convert to the 5200 are the atari 8-bit computer programs. And even among them you can only convert a small number of them.

Allan

Okayyy.... you DO understand why porting an Atari 800 game to the 5200 is significantly easier than porting an arcade game... right?

The 8-bit computers and the 5200 are about 98% the same. Anything else like arcade games, the 2600, the Colecovision, etc., are very different. The only programs you can convert to the 5200 are the atari 8-bit computer programs. And even among them you can only convert a small number of them.

Allan

I didn't know how difficult it was for you guys to convert games to the 5200. I'm Sorry if i made anybody upset.

Edited by roadrunner

Allan

I didn't know how difficult it was for you guys to convert games to the 5200. I'm Sorry if i made anybody upset.

No one was upset. Not everybody on Atariage is going to be an expert on everything Atari. That's what the board is here for. So that you can learn all about atari. Asking questions is how you learn things.

Allan

OK. Another try. Please test it on real HW. Hopefully it will work much better than previous version.

F.

I played about a half dozen games using the 5200 flash cart. It seems to play properly. I tried the Pause and Reset during game play to no result. I also tried 1 - 0, again with no discernible result. By pressing either the star or pound keys results in the ongoing game locking up. Selecting Start began a new game. Shortly afterwards the same bug as before made it's appearance, with the ship moving to the right and staying there. I could not fire either. The game kept running and once the ship was destroyed I could move it on the subsequent life. A couple minutes later the bug took effect again. I turned off the power to the console and started anew. Games played after that played fine but I did not press any of the keys. I did notice that before a new game is started that pressing the star key selected a two player option. Having only one functional controller I didn't test the second player playability. By pressing the pound key I noticed an asterisk would appear next to the highest board achieved count that is retained for the high score. Is there an actual function to this? I could not discern any difference. I also tried both the new bin and the original cassette image using Atari800Win and both seemed comparable in speed and gameplay to the game running on the actual hardware.

I hope this helps and thanks for the work you are doing. This game is rather enjoyable.

post-10357-1235595501_thumb.jpg

Edited by darthkur

OK. Another try. Please test it on real HW. Hopefully it will work much better than previous version.

F.

I played about a half dozen games using the 5200 flash cart. It seems to play properly. I tried the Pause and Reset during game play to no result. I also tried 1 - 0, again with no discernible result. By pressing either the star or pound keys results in the ongoing game locking up. Selecting Start began a new game. Shortly afterwards the same bug as before made it's appearance, with the ship moving to the right and staying there. I could not fire either. The game kept running and once the ship was destroyed I could move it on the subsequent life. A couple minutes later the bug took effect again. I turned off the power to the console and started anew. Games played after that played fine but I did not press any of the keys. I did notice that before a new game is started that pressing the star key selected a two player option. Having only one functional controller I didn't test the second player playability. By pressing the pound key I noticed an asterisk would appear next to the highest board achieved count that is retained for the high score. Is there an actual function to this? I could not discern any difference. I also tried both the new bin and the original cassette image using Atari800Win and both seemed comparable in speed and gameplay to the game running on the actual hardware.

I hope this helps and thanks for the work you are doing. This game is rather enjoyable.

post-10357-1235595501_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot for testing!

Reset or Pause keys should do nothing. That's OK. Star and pound keys select one/two player(s) mode and difficulty. Higher difficulty is noticed by asterisk. The game should stop when you press star or pound but you should be able to start a new game by pressing start key.

Unfortunately I have no idea why there's still a bug with ship control...

Well, it seems Galactic Chase is my first and the last try to convert anything from A8 to 5200. It a real pain to convert something as I don't have real HW and behavior of AtariWin PLus emulator is so different from real thing...

F.