IGNORED

My Jaguar

snakes3425

Darkside Vs BattleSphere? No contest here.

BS is probably still the best cosole space fight out there

in terms of AI alone. Darkside is a nice game but it's no

Battlesphere by any stretch. I say this because who

is even making space fighters anymore? It's either a

racer, fighter, FPS or team FPS. YAWN!

Once you play BattleSphere in Alone against the Empire

and the pilots come attack you, you will see some of the

most intellegent enemies in video gaming to date.

Edited by Gorf

As for Tempo versus Bubsy/Zool 2, all three are solid platformers. The Jaguar games look like they're running at a higher resolution, but are pretty basic when it comes to graphics; they have a static foreground, a static background, and then some poorly-animated sprites. Tempo has multiple layers of parallax, dynamic backgrounds, and beautifully animated sprites. I'm not saying any of the three are better than the others; just that Tempo does a whole lot more in the graphics department.

Exhibit D: Tempo on 32X

Looks like a cute game, and I like how the movements (with the exception of the kick move) seem a lot like the Bubsy moves. I would probably like that game.

Strangely, aside from cute animation sequences (which Bubsy has many as well just Tempo) I wouldn't say it's superior. But looks equally fun.

And you forgot Rayman BTW, perhaps the most beautiful eye candy platformer on the Jaguar. This game seems what Bubsy and Rayman smashed together would have been like.

Of course, everyone forgets Pitfall when they think of platformers.

That's cool. Like I said, I haven't played either. I just thought it was interesting that each system had an impressive space shooter released in limited quantities toward the end of their lives.
And you forgot Rayman BTW, perhaps the most beautiful eye candy platformer on the Jaguar. This game seems what Bubsy and Rayman smashed together would have been like.

Of course, everyone forgets Pitfall when they think of platformers.

I mentioned Rayman, and compared it Knuckles Chaotix. They're pretty different games, but each is highly regarded as one of their respective system's real showpieces, so I thought they made an interesting comparison.

As for Pitfall, it was released for both systems, but I haven't played the Jaguar version and I don't know of any major differences between the two.

Edited by minuS

That's cool. Like I said, I haven't played either.

I have. Darxide is a nice shooter with good graphics for its day - but it doesn't hold a candle to BattleSphere. They aren't very similar either - it's like comparing Asteroids to Star Raiders.

Hmmm... tempted to look up this Tempo that challenges the Bubster. :)

Oh damn! He just picked on clu's favorite game.

:P

LOL!! A Bubsy versus Tempo smackdown. Now this would be fun. :) Should make that fan movie sometime.

Tempo was a cute character design. I haven't looked into much so I'll ask out 32x experts, did they make other Tempo games?

LOL!! A Bubsy versus Tempo smackdown. Now this would be fun. :) Should make that fan movie sometime.

Tempo was a cute character design. I haven't looked into much so I'll ask out 32x experts, did they make other Tempo games?

I think Bubsy'd prolly take Tempo in the end, but I just can't deny how well drawn and animated the Tempo games are. As for sequels, there's Tempo Jr. for Game Gear (North America and Japan) and Super Tempo for Saturn (Japan only). I haven't played either, though the Saturn game looks very pretty.

New rule. Anybody who mixes CAPITAL words in the MIDDLE of their SENTENCES loses the argument by DEFAULT.

UH OH! WATCH OUT!!! THE GRAMMAR POLICE IS HERE!!!

Bad boys bad boys, watchya gonna do, watchya gonna do when they come for you... :roll: :| :twisted: ;) :cool: :ponder: :P

Consistent capitalization. Much better.

Continue.

The N64 is a "classic system"... damn i feel old...

In a few years, Xbox and Gamecube will be considered classic.

Shocking!

Although both are flawed in their own ways, I'd take Tempo over Bubsy. Super Tempo on Saturn is superb by the way.

Also, you could argue that 32X and Jaguar have kinda the same hinderances. The 32X architecture was too dependent on the Genesis and the Jag developers were too dependent on the 68000. It'd have been great if both systems were around long enough to really push the hardware.

• 3 months later...
As for Pitfall, it was released for both systems, but I haven't played the Jaguar version and I don't know of any major differences between the two.

So I finally got a chance to play Pitfall for Jaguar, and it seems as though the Jaguar port is one of the definitive versions, rivaled only by the SEGA CD (superior audio) and Windows ports! I haven't played the Windows version in years and I don't have a copy readily available (I'm not at home right now), so I'm not sure if it sports FMV and CD audio as well; but if it doesn't, then I think it's pretty safe to say that makes the Jaguar version the best.

Information online seems to be scattered, but from what I've been able to piece together, the different version stack-up as follows:

SNES - The original?

Genesis - Colour quality and framerate poorer than SNES version, different visual effects.

SEGA CD - FMV intro, great CD sound effects and music, Genesis graphics. This and all subsequent versions, supposedly, have new/remixed levels.

32X - Great upgrade over SNES version for all graphics (except backgrounds, which look identical to the Genesis, low colour quality and all), but framerate suffers.

Jaguar - Best graphics (even backgrounds), great framerate, best visual effects, and the ability to save your progress.

Windows - Supposedly based on the SEGA CD version, but has graphics comparable to the Jaguar version.

GBA - Easily the worst-looking version, smaller viewable area, seems to be based on the SNES version.

Wii - Emulated Genesis version.

(Click each system to compare screenshots.)

Hrm, looks like I jumped the gun... The Windows version has the Jaguar's graphics (and actually better animation and effects) and ability to save your progress coupled with the SEGA CD's stellar audio. The only thing it seems to be missing is the live action intro movie from the SEGA CD version.

Still, the Jaguar's a close second, lacking only the fancy audio :)

I've never seen a 32X in action, but you make me curious, minuS.
To me, the 32x is a lot like the Jaguar. Both are often overlooked and ridiculed, even though few people haven played either, let alone given them a chance. Both are far more powerful than the games developed for them suggest. As others have stated, it would be interesting to see what developers could have done with these systems if they really tried.

I'm a big Jaguar fan and also a pretty big fan of the 32X. The main reason Jag games look A LOT better than 32X games is this... The majority of people play their games on a normal tv using AV or S video cables. Everyone knows the Genesis AND 32X video output, even using AV cables, looks like ASS. The resolution is HORRID and you can actually see a grid pattern in the graphics. The Jag on the other hand has much better resolution, especially with S video.

The 32x had a resolution of 320 x 224. The Jaguar in theory could run at any resolution. Though it appears most games ran at 320 x 240? Someone with more technical knowledge could probably confirm or elaborate (Gorf?). Anyway, both look similar to me on a 32" CRT television (32x with composite and Jaguar with composite and s-video). The 32x does not look like ass at all. The 32x actually puts out a great composite image. Games have always looked sharp on my television.

The reason games like VR Deluxe and VF on the 32X turned out so good is cus world renowned AM2 did them! If the AM2 were given a Jag to work with, I can guarantee they'd cook up something better on the Jag compared to the 32X. Not to mention, the Jag kicks the 32X's ass all over the place when it comes to sound capabilities. Sure, a lot of Jag games are lacking in game music, but obviously Tempest 2000 comes to mind when you think of a Jag game with music that obliterates anything on the 32X music-wise.
I'd agree with you there. I have played most of the 32x library and none of the games feature any of the crisp voice samples I've heard in Jaguar games. Even the voices in Virtua Racing sound muffled and compressed. Knuckles Chaotix does have a great sound track, though I don't think it takes advantage of the 32x sound hardware. I'm playing Super Burnout right now, and it sounds CD quality, amazing stuff.

I am not saying the 32x is better than the Jaguar, or vice versa for that matter. I have enjoyed both systems immensely and both offer a good gaming experience.

• 4 months later...

While this is just my opinon here's a list of why I think the Jaguar ultimatly failed

1. The Advertising Campaign was a joke, it was essentually nothing more then grandstanding, with all effort focusing more on the graphics and processors then the actual games

2. Sam Tramiel's bragging, with little to back his claims up, he was relying more on brand loyalty, because of the 2600's legacy.

3. The Jaguar was released too early, the release date should've been delayed a year or two at the least in order to perfect the Jaguar's hardware, as well as perfecting the Jaguar CD's hardware as well.

4. The Jaguar should've been a CD Based Console from the beginning, in the market it was entering into the Jaguar would be facing off with two very powerful CD based Game Systems: The Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation I.

While this is just my opinon here's a list of why I think the Jaguar ultimatly failed

1. The Advertising Campaign was a joke, it was essentually nothing more then grandstanding, with all effort focusing more on the graphics and processors then the actual games

2. Sam Tramiel's bragging, with little to back his claims up, he was relying more on brand loyalty, because of the 2600's legacy.

3. The Jaguar was released too early, the release date should've been delayed a year or two at the least in order to perfect the Jaguar's hardware, as well as perfecting the Jaguar CD's hardware as well.

4. The Jaguar should've been a CD Based Console from the beginning, in the market it was entering into the Jaguar would be facing off with two very powerful CD based Game Systems: The Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation I.

Well said but I am not in total agreement with #4.... cart systems worked fine for Nintendo. As I have said a

better host such as the 020 would have helped the Tramiels and the developers realize their claims in a much faster

and simpler way even with the flaws of the other harware. The 68k should have been hooked up in such a way

that it only allowed for setup of the system. It is by far the weakest link in the system by leaps and bounds.

I'm a big Jaguar fan and also a pretty big fan of the 32X. The main reason Jag games look A LOT better than 32X games is this... The majority of people play their games on a normal tv using AV or S video cables. Everyone knows the Genesis AND 32X video output, even using AV cables, looks like ASS. The resolution is HORRID and you can actually see a grid pattern in the graphics. The Jag on the other hand has much better resolution, especially with S video. The Jag and 3DO most definitely have superior graphics capabilites compared to the 32X. The 32X is good at pushing around a good number of bland polygons, but really, Knuckles Chaotix only looks great because it's really colorful. Rayman looks much smoother and is a much better game. I've never played Tempo but I highly doubt it's as good as Zool 2, one of my favorite platformers.

That isn't true, generally speaking, video quaity varies widely in different Genesis models, the best comes from the latest model 2s and Genesis 3, with very clean and bright composite video, model 1 units tend to have OK, but blury video, and the worst are th emajority of model 2s with awful, noisy, blury composite video due to a crap video encoder used. (the majority of those models also have poor sound quality, staticky an dmuffly due to a poor mixing curcuit)

The 32x, in general, will improve the Genesis video (better video encoder, and using genesis RGB signals for mixing, not composite), but this can sometimes be problematic as some 32xs have poorly sheilded components that cause line noise in the video output.

Europeans don't have to deal with any of that crp though as thy have SCART and can use the Mega Drive's native (videry nice) RGB output. (the best we could get is using a RGB=>YPbPr transcoder, or using an old Amiga/Atari ST monitor for NTSC RGB output)

Interesting that you mentioned the colors in Chotix since almost everthing is done by the Genesis, not 32x, so it's all working of 15/16-color palettes selected from the 512-color master palette. (with the exception of the sprites, which are done by the 32x, and some background in specific aread, particularly the polygonal BG like in the final boss stage)

That's cool. Like I said, I haven't played either.

I have. Darxide is a nice shooter with good graphics for its day - but it doesn't hold a candle to BattleSphere. They aren't very similar either - it's like comparing Asteroids to Star Raiders.

I think DarXide is pretty overrated in general, the framerate is not that great, texture mapping is pretty good for all software, but draw distance is awful, controls are average, music and sfx are rather average/generic Genesis affair, and gameplay is a bit bland. I think Shadow Squadron, in all its flat shaded glory is a good deal better. (much longer draw distance, higher framerate and better gameplay, not to mention more comperable in gameplay style to BS or other games like X-Wing, though more arcade like) Not to say it's comperably to BS, or even X-Wing in terms of complexity or technical quality, but a good, fun game. (IMO the best on the 32x, at very least the best exclusive)

Well said but I am not in total agreement with #4.... cart systems worked fine for Nintendo. As I have said a

better host such as the 020 would have helped the Tramiels and the developers realize their claims in a much faster

and simpler way even with the flaws of the other harware. The 68k should have been hooked up in such a way

that it only allowed for setup of the system. It is by far the weakest link in the system by leaps and bounds.

With the 020 in there, it would have opened things up more for Jerry as well for sound, right? (though with the 6-cycle delay it's still limited)

I think you pretty much convinced me the CD isn't necessary initially, and if properly managed, the add-on could have been successful, then followed on by either then Duo (now that the drive costs have come down) or push straight for the Jag II by some time in 1997.

And as to the other statements, I think a big part of it was the lack of funds forcing their hand, management was also an issue, but the financial problems certainly exacerbated this, not that the Tramiels couldn't have mitigated this with private funds in the short term. (not even "bet the farm" necessarily, but more of a moderate gamble invested in the company)

And relying on Atari's brand recognition with the 2600 could have paid off if they'd actually come out with a good number of remade classics as promised, instead of a couple trickling out. Even just some compilations of classic arcade versions could have been nice -like a cart with arcade perfect missile command, battle zone, asteroids, centipede, etc; though ironically, retro compilations started poping up right after Atari was sold, particularly with the multiplatform Williams greatest hits collection, plus the Win95/DOS PC Atari arcade collection with tempest, Missile command, centipede, and battle zone. (and slightly later a similar compilation on PSX/Saturn/SNES)

Edit: that PC game I was thinking of was actually Microsoft Arcade from 1993 (DOS/Win3.x) and came on a single, high density 3.5" floppy, so that was a good deal earlier, maybe even something that would have been a good idea to port to the Jag.

Anyway this is all more stuff for this thread: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/119048-its-1993-youre-in-charge-of-the-jag-what-do-you-do/page__st__625

Edited by kool kitty89

As for the Jaguar being the worst console ever made I can think of a few consoles right off the top of my head that are far more deserving of that title.

1. Phillips CD-i

2. Apple Pippin

3. Game.com

4. R-Zone

5. Virtual Boy

6. Gizmondo

7. 32X

8. Sega CD

9. 3DO

Sorry but your list is really messed up, i think you should include the Jaguar if you get the 3DO sega cd and 32X on that list.

I love the Jaguar , but i love it for what it was , not for what it could have been ( if you get what i mean )

32X , for its really limited library had a lot of very good titles add to that the fact that it s an ill fated add on that lived for just little more than a year. But the good games / bad games ratio is actually better than the Jaguar , i don't think you should put on the list while avoiding listing the jaguar.

Sega CD has a lot of great games , and in my opinion ( and not only mine ) more than the Jaguar . If only for the real gems like Lunar SS and EB , PM , Vay , Snatcher , Final Fight CD , Sonic CD ( and there are a lot more ) and Heart of the Alien. Its only problem is that it has a bad ratio of good bad games , since seems strange but a lot of games were made for it , too bad a large part of those are just souped up md ports or fmv movie games.

I can list you all the very very good games if you need me to :) .

3DO is a console you can't bash if you love the jaguar;) . Now that all is said and done , lets put away our weapons and discuss the jag vs 3DO debate without any bloodshed.

Let s face it , 3DO has a LOT of great games if you consider most of the Jaguar games good.

It has almost all the games jaguar has coming from the Amiga/PC scene , like Cannon Fodder , Flashback :) oh..and Out Of This world :P ( and its a pleasure to play , not like the crappy snes version ) and some more ( its missing Rayman and Nba Jam mostly )

It has a damn solid driving game , which was ahead of anything out there at the time , that is Need for Speed. It has Lufia , at least one jrpg , a genre that is really non existant on the Jaguar ( and i miss very much ) .

It has Gex , which if you consider Bubsy decent , you can't say it sucks , it loses any comparation to Rayman however , the armless guy from Ubisoft is just bigger badder better. The 3DO has 2 almost spot on arcade beat em ups ports , one of which remained exclusive to it for like 3 years ( SSF2T/X).

And i can go on and list a whole lot of great games on it , you can't really put the 3DO in and leave the Jaguar out :) , or else you re love blind.

I am just replying about that list , i m not saying Jaguar sucks or anything like that.

I actually enjoy my new Jaguar collection , i spent almost a year getting most of the commercially released games CIB and i take great pride in owning the cat:D, but let s be honest , you can't bash those 3 above mentioned consoles and leave the jaguar a bunch of roses. It just isn't fair.

Hmm, this list looks like the typical "shittiest consoles of all time" list you'll find spreaded wide in the net.

I own every of these consoles handhelds and i must say that Virtual Boy, CD-i and Gizmondo suffer more from a bad reputation in the web than from ther actual software and hardware.

The VB is pretty impressive to play with, especially with games like Red Alarm, Wario Land an Jack Bros, which are all pretty awesome.

The CD-i is one of the best consoles if you like FMV Adventures, even 7th Guest alone is worth the console alone. Along with all American Lasergames and Games like Burn:Cycle and Lost Eden it's very enjoyable. You just don't have to repeate these typical "Zelda sucks on CD-i". Yes, it does, but that are not the kind of games the CD-i was intended for.

The Gizmondo is a multimedia powerhouse, especially the early aufmented reality games like agaju and catapult are far ahead of their time. Colors alone is worth the system. With camera, GPS, SMS and full WinCE 4.2 support its also a very good gadget for Homebrew. Many Emultors are availabe. Of around 25 available titles there are some very good like colors, richard burns rally, Trailblazer and Chicane.

As for the Jaguar being the worst console ever made I can think of a few consoles right off the top of my head that are far more deserving of that title.

1. Phillips CD-i

2. Apple Pippin

3. Game.com

4. R-Zone

5. Virtual Boy

6. Gizmondo

7. 32X

8. Sega CD

9. 3DO

Sorry but your list is really messed up, i think you should include the Jaguar if you get the 3DO sega cd and 32X on that list.

I love the Jaguar , but i love it for what it was , not for what it could have been ( if you get what i mean )

32X , for its really limited library had a lot of very good titles add to that the fact that it s an ill fated add on that lived for just little more than a year. But the good games / bad games ratio is actually better than the Jaguar , i don't think you should put on the list while avoiding listing the jaguar.

Sega CD has a lot of great games , and in my opinion ( and not only mine ) more than the Jaguar . If only for the real gems like Lunar SS and EB , PM , Vay , Snatcher , Final Fight CD , Sonic CD ( and there are a lot more ) and Heart of the Alien. Its only problem is that it has a bad ratio of good bad games , since seems strange but a lot of games were made for it , too bad a large part of those are just souped up md ports or fmv movie games.

I can list you all the very very good games if you need me to :) .

3DO is a console you can't bash if you love the jaguar;) . Now that all is said and done , lets put away our weapons and discuss the jag vs 3DO debate without any bloodshed.

Let s face it , 3DO has a LOT of great games if you consider most of the Jaguar games good.

It has almost all the games jaguar has coming from the Amiga/PC scene , like Cannon Fodder , Flashback :) oh..and Out Of This world :P ( and its a pleasure to play , not like the crappy snes version ) and some more ( its missing Rayman and Nba Jam mostly )

It has a damn solid driving game , which was ahead of anything out there at the time , that is Need for Speed. It has Lufia , at least one jrpg , a genre that is really non existant on the Jaguar ( and i miss very much ) .

It has Gex , which if you consider Bubsy decent , you can't say it sucks , it loses any comparation to Rayman however , the armless guy from Ubisoft is just bigger badder better. The 3DO has 2 almost spot on arcade beat em ups ports , one of which remained exclusive to it for like 3 years ( SSF2T/X).

And i can go on and list a whole lot of great games on it , you can't really put the 3DO in and leave the Jaguar out :) , or else you re love blind.

I am just replying about that list , i m not saying Jaguar sucks or anything like that.

I actually enjoy my new Jaguar collection , i spent almost a year getting most of the commercially released games CIB and i take great pride in owning the cat:D, but let s be honest , you can't bash those 3 above mentioned consoles and leave the jaguar a bunch of roses. It just isn't fair.

My complaints about the Sega CD, CDi and 3DO happen to be their game libraries. With the exception of the games you mentioned, I hate the fact that Sega, Phillips,and the 3DO Corrporation flooded their consoles game libraries with Z-Grade FMV based games, that were little more then glorified quick time events.

Also I feel that if the Sega CD and 32X had been stand alone consoles, and not add ons, they could've done better. But keep in mind it's just my opinon

My complaints about the Sega CD, CDi and 3DO happen to be their game libraries. With the exception of the games you mentioned, I hate the fact that Sega, Phillips,and the 3DO Corrporation flooded their consoles game libraries with Z-Grade FMV based games, that were little more then glorified quick time events.

Also I feel that if the Sega CD and 32X had been stand alone consoles, and not add ons, they could've done better. But keep in mind it's just my opinon

The portion of real (stereotypical "interactive movie") "FMV" games on the Sega CD is a bit exaggerated, probably skewed by th efact that Sewer Shark was one of th emost common standard pack-in games. Really, it's only like a dozen games or so (and that's including ports of old arcade laserdisc games like Dragon's Lair and Time Gal). There are a fiar number of other games that rely on streaming video for gameplay (more than cutscene clips) like Silpheed and NovaStorm, which are great games.

Another fair chunk of the CD's library are ports of genesis games and computer games (like Dune, Wing Commander, Monkey Island), but in particular, th esimplisity of Genesis to CD ports is often overstated, there are only a few that just add CD audio (which to some still makes a night and day difference), but many others add extra content, and in the case of games like Batman Returns, and entirely new gameplay element (the driving levels); plus other games which share the same title as Genesis/SNES games, but are completely original titles, like The Terminator.

As for the CD and 32x being better as individual consoles... if they'd been both released by Sega still, that's really splitting th emarket with multiple consoles in a short time period. A major goal of Sega of Japan for the Mega CD, other than competing with NEC, was to test the medium in general as a viable concept, which they did and moved on to th eCD based Saturn. (granted they could have taken the conservative approach, and waited to observe others using CD media, NEC's PC Engine CD -and scares US released TG-16 CD-ROM drive, CD-i, PC/MAC CD-based games, and 3DO -all of which were full of "FMV", learing from oters rather than making feeling thing sout themselves)

In any case, instead of the 32x or Saturn (or bothering the the CDX even), they could perhaps have gone for an evolutionary upgrade to the base Genesis+CD hardware, built upon it, maintain compatibility, and have a machine at least roughly comperable to the saturn (probably not a lot less complex, but less buggy, and built on a fimilliar architecture), and save both time and cost in development, allowing for release around the time of the 32x. The compatibility side of things is completely along th elines Sega had been moving for years, they did it for the SG-1000 in the Mk.III and Master System, even though it wasn't very popular, and did it again for the SMS in the MD/Genesis, even though the SMS hadn't been especially popular in Japan or North America (rather successful in UK/Europe): but then they cut this trend with a system that's massively successful in both North America and Eruope, and even a bit more popular in Japan than Sega's previous consoles, it just doesn't make sense.

The 32x was too limited in general, an added video processor (calling it such is a bit of an overstatement) that was nothing more than a glorified bitmap display controller (it's only additional feature was line fill, useful for flat shading and clearing the framebuffers) controled entirely by software with a couple pretty powerful CPUs, but with a very skimpy 256 kB of main RAM, and tied to a 16-bit data bus, with th eonly added sound was the stereo 10-bit PWM DACs, not much better than what the genesis had onboard other than now having a lot more CPU resourse to be driven by. (but could also have the Geneis's Z80 or 68000 CPU control that sound, not just one of the SH2s)

Of course Sega was having some internal problem around this time, and a good number of screw-ups from several directions, so that explains part of it.