IGNORED

ps3 vs xbox 360

causeican

hey everyone,

I need advice. I really want a ps3 but i dont like the price. So i have been toying with the idea of an xbox 360 . What concerns me with the xbox is that damn red ring of death. And which one i should get. i really dont want to game online, but i would like the option. i have no interest in the blue ray option, but i prefer sony products. So if you were me which one would you get. The type of games i like both systems have. I have no kids to be concerned with so this would be my toy. But i just dont which one to waste the money on. I have heard pros and cons about both systems. what is your opinions ??

It's got to be one of the most asked questions ever causeican, unfortunately no-ones going to be able to answer it for you.

Just read through both forums and you'll see all the statements/arguments for and against each console. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Me personally I'd plan on getting both and start with the 360 because it's cheaper and many many great games are now dirt cheap as well. Then when you can afford the PS3 and the thrill of the newness of the 360 wears off snag the PS3. I don't know if they still do, but Blockbusters used to rent video game systems. Maybe the thing to do would be to try them both out. Another option would be to head to Best Buys, Target, Wal-Mart etc... and try out the demo units. That, coupled with the forum discussions should at least help.

Also, look at the type of games on offer on both systems. If one system has more of what you fancy, get that one. While you're doing that, be sure to include all the download only games from the XBLM / PSN stores.

I don't like FPS and 'gritty realism' games, I prefer blue-skies, abstract games and odd Japanese concepts so i bought the PS3, but that's just me. Your mileage will differ.

The big releases seem to make both X-box Live and the Playstation Store. The XBox Live Marketplace is a lot easier to navigate though.

The Xbox has a much bigger library of games. If you don't care about online then the PS3 would be the way to go in that respect.

If you want to be constantly annoyed by updates then get a PS3. If you want to send your console off for a couple of weeks at a time to be repaired then get a 360.

If you want lots of fun games then get either one.

hey everyone,

I need advice. I really want a ps3 but i dont like the price. So i have been toying with the idea of an xbox 360 . What concerns me with the xbox is that damn red ring of death. And which one i should get. i really dont want to game online, but i would like the option. i have no interest in the blue ray option, but i prefer sony products. So if you were me which one would you get. The type of games i like both systems have. I have no kids to be concerned with so this would be my toy. But i just dont which one to waste the money on. I have heard pros and cons about both systems. what is your opinions ??

If you really want a PS3 then get that one - the price difference isn't all that different is it?

But if you are leaning to 360, my story: I picked a 360 just a week ago. The only reason I held out this long was fear of the RROD problem. However, since the PS3 is more expensive and there are only 2 games on PS3 (for me) that I'd want , that aren't on X360 - Drake's Fortune, and Little Big Planet, the 360 was a no-brainer for me.

Concerning Xbox360 failures -- I did research. The failure rate has dropped since the early days, and there have been revisions on the hardware over the past 4 years. MS has a 1 year warranty on the Xbox 360, with a 3 year warranty (from Microsoft) specifically on the RROD problem. If I get RROD, I'll call MS and wait the 2 or 3 weeks for them to fix it. You can get an extended warranty from the store you buy it at if you really fear it, but personally I think that is usually a waste of money (I hate U "Best Buy", trying to guilt me into your warranties and lying in my face about not knowing what the default warranty on 360 actually is!!!).

Overheating systems is not a new problem - the 360 just did it way more than other consoles. I hooked up my 360 on the top shelf of my entertainment center (under the actual SD TV set). There are holes in the back for breathing, and I have several inches on left/right to allow air to flow freely to the Xbox360. The fan on this thing is fairly loud compared to other systems I've owned, but if thats what it needs to keep cool, so be it (can't hear it once the game kicks in anyway). So what Im saying - just like with PS1's and PS2's in the past, don't put the 360 on a shag rug or inside a closed off center and play it for 8 hours straight or it will certainly overheat just like those PS systems used to do back in their early days.

There are many, many games heavily discounted for the 360 and because I was used to the Wii and prior systems, I'm loving the graphical upgrade. Just don't hook it up with composite default cables or you won't really appreciate the visuals.

@cimerians - what do you prefer about the PS3 exactly? the specific games, or load times, or visuals , etc etc?

- Pixel Junk monsters, God of War and perhaps Metal Gear are what keep me around Playstation. I know that sounds stupid but I love those games.

- I seem to check the PS3 store for games a whole lot more than the 360. Last year that wasnt true.

So the downloads on the PS3 seem to be really cool right now than in the past. I've slowly become disenchanted with the new Arcade arrivals on 360.

So thats the number one thing.

- I have the 60gb model and I like the smoothing and upscaling you can do on PS2 and PS1 games.

I like playing PS1 games off the hardrive too and I also have a PSP.

The game load times are about equal since the 360 now has the "install to hard drive feature" but Im not sure if thats totally true.

Its easy to stick a 200G harddrive in the PS3 (unlike the scam that microsoft is pulling with their hardrive $$$)

Its easy to load Linux on the PS3 and play SNES9X :P

Blu-Ray movies are nice.....I have a 1080p LCD and my 360 is the older model without HDMI. :(

Again, with the post launch 360's thats not an issue anymore.

Now that Sony has trophies....that also has lured me away from the 360.

Its a combination of all of the above.

I dont know....I love the 360 (not the hardware). I'm playing Tomb Raider anniversary right now and plan on playing Lost Odyssey next.

Its a hard call but I just have a slight more interest in the PS3 as you can tell.

(BTW: Cafeman brings up a good point. The PS3 heats up and breaks too and its happened quite a bit per the plastation boards. It also happened to me. It seems the Wii is the toughest boxer out there. :D)

Edited by cimerians

hey everyone,

it sounds like the red ring of death is as important to you as it was to me. If this is the case, after a long and hard think, you'll realize that there is only one option for you--ps3 (no matter what 360 has going for it). I actually rarely recommend the ps3 to others, but since RROD is about all you've mentioned, that's what I have to go on. And no, I don't believe any of the 360 consoles made will last a full half decade.

I do feel that the tide is thinking about swinging toward ps3. I feel people are starting to tire of 360's exclusives, and some of ps3's 'big guns' are likely to hit the system this year. (titles like god of war, and gran turismo 5(though release date of gt5 is currently unconfirmed)). I also feel that very soon instead of ps3 getting 360 ports, that 360 is about to start receiving ps3 ports instead, as will be the case with final fantasy 13, so ps3 owners may get a graphical bump (currently games that are on both systems generally look better on 360). ps3's free online play is generally very good, and the online psn store is shaping up nicely. Microsoft's 'big weapons' aren't quite as significant as they were at ps3's launch.

Additionally with user-upgradable hard drives, and generic (usb/bluetooth) device support I feel it will be easier to keep a ps3 running than a 360, even beyond the rrod problem.

Edited by Reaperman

I would say besides the rrod, if you want a quiet system, get a ps3, the drive of the 360 makes just to much noise in my opinion.

Don't see the ps3 updates as a problem. I just plug my console online as i want to go online, otherwise it is offline, so you don't have to worry about updates. Only time i see i need a update is when i go online to the store to download a demo.

I kinda get tickled at people that are scared of the 360 due to the rrod...its not like you can't get the thing fixed for free if it happens to your console.

this is true for people who game in the here and now.

however I don't, and it makes the 360 a *worthless* system that people are trying to scam $200 out of me for.

one bought now will survive the generation--but only because the units keep getting sent back in. And after this generation ends, keeping a 360 going will be a full time effort.

I think that in 20 years, ps3 will be the only viable way to play fallout 3, for example. Even keeping one of those going will become a challenge in the long run (finding new hard drives as they die and standards are replaced, or getting patches sony won't support anymore)

however, for *only* twice as much money, I can get something that seems like it will keep going for a while. And that, to me, is a bargain--but as I stated above RROD is my primary current gen gaming concern, and that's not a place a lot of people are at right now. I really do believe that the ps3's just warming up though, and the 360 has already peaked.

Edited by Reaperman

You know what I find frustrating?

The fact that I want to buy another 360 and keep it boxed up for the future. Mainly that red one coming out soon.

:dunce:

What I can I do though? I've been replacing some games on the 360 with PS3 versions (ever so slowly)

But what about downloadable content? Will microsoft continue the license transfer service 10 years from now?

Downloadable content is another debate so I'll stop right there. :P

Skip both and get a Wii *ducks flying tomatoes*

Seriously, they both are pretty much the same, there's very little to no difference in the games, I personally think the box has better exclusives, but that's opinion. If you don't care about Blue Ray and all the net stuff, you can get a cheaper X-box that is still 200$ less than the cheapest PS3 (and it'll still play online, just not save online content) and youcould use the extra money you saved not buying a PS3 to get you 3or4 of the newest games or quiet a few older titles.

For me, it was the box all the way, HD movies didnt interest me, and PS3 simplly cost to much at the time. And now, well, there's still no exclusives that catch my eye on it (though I really want to play Lair, though p-eople say the 6axis screws it

Now that I can get one for under $400 new, I'm considering i9t though, as my roomate has started getting quiet a few Blue ray movies, and it wouldn't cost much more than a standalone player.

I have a 360 and a Wii. I finally got my 360 earlier this month and it was the best decision I've made. I too held off because of the rrod but I have a Jasper(the newest hardware revision) so I should be ok. One day I will get a PS3 too, but only after the price comes down and it gets more games I'm interested in. Having said that, based on what you told us you should just get a PS3. If you like Sony products and their games, the extra $100 or so for the system shouldn't matter. Just go buy the system and be happy.

As an owner of a 360 a wii and a ps3 (and all the rest,) as far as current-gen stuff goes :

(1) are you a graphics whore? if yes:

get a 360. (Both systems come out pretty even on this score, the 360 has more, better, games, a lot more inexpensive great games, a LOT more great live arcade games (u don't have to pay $50 a year to get live arcade games,) and on the even cheaper side of things, the xbox games that are backwards compat and play on a 360 are MUCH better looking than psux 2 games.)

if no: go for the wii (see below.)

(2) do you value new gameplay experiences? if yes: get a wii. The wii is actually my favorite of the current gen. TONS of awesome classics on its virtual console, cool stuff u couldn't get before like n64 sin, wiiware goodness like lost winds and as long as you are smart, TONS of awesome, unique, games (the nintendo staples, kororinpa, endless oceans, okami, no more heroes, sam and max, impossible mission etc.) and of course ALL gamecube games (most cheap these days too.) Also, it's games, generally, have lower prices, too.

if no: get a ps3*, it has non-gameplay stuff like 'scene demos,' broken games you won't want to play, like lair and warhawk and lots of 'same-old gameplay' with shinier graphics like ratchet, metal gear, resistance etc. (tho they are still damn good games, im sucked into ratchet and resistance myself at the moment. just because it's bubble gum doesn't make it bad,) and as long as u get an old one (20 or 60gb,) u can play ps1 & ps2 games (this is the main reason I bought mine, system consolidation. I play more psux1/2 games on my psux3 than I do psux 3 games.) *excepting the little big planet & eye of judgment exclusion clause.

(3) got lots of dough? if yes: get all 3 and be console agnostic like me and u can enjoy them each for their greatness.

:edit:

(4) on the go a lot? if you don't have a DS yet, do yourself a favor. Heck, you could EASILY be happy with JUST a DS this gaming generation. Such an awesome system. They finally made a handheld better than the Lynx. :) (the psp makes a nice digital picture viewer/media player/emulation runner. It does have some good games, but I play my DS a heckofalot more.)

Edited by Godzilla

broken games you won't want to play, like lair and warhawk...

No offense, but taking advice from anyone who says that the ps3 has essentially cruddy games, and cites Warhawk out of all games (and to a lesser extent Lair, who's control issues are now fixed) is a poor idea. I really appreciate him saying to get all three systems, as that is a great idea (all the systems are great, I only suggest the ps3 over the 360 because of it being a better "deal" and more reliable) even if he took a big stab on the ps3 along the way, but seriously, Warhawk is one of the best online experiences I have had for ANY system. Please ignore him if you get a ps3 one day, and buy it because it is one of the best exclusives you'll find on the system.