IGNORED

"Shower Scene" 2600 game

jrok

I decided to turn one of my graphics experiments into an 8k game. It's basically a spoof on the classic "shower scene" trope of American horror movies.

You control a woman trying to take a shower in the locker room of a new fitness center that is haunted by a pesky poltergeist. The ghost will frustrate your sanitary efforts using a variety of tricks and traps, with new ones unveiled a bit at a time throughout gameplay. One of the goals of the game is to keep things mysterious and surprising. Although events will start out innocently enough, if you get far enough into the game things things will get progressively darker and more sinister.

Controls:

• Joystick left/right : Move the character horizontally.
  • Joystick up (under Active Shower): : Scrub upper body
  • Joystick down (under Active Shower): Scrub lower body
  • Joystick down : Duck
  • Fire Button: Jump
  • Wiggle Joystick left and right: If you slip and fall, wiggle the joystick rapidly in alternating directions to get back on your feet.

Gameplay:

Right now, there are only a few game mechanics in place.

Showers: The ghost randomly turns shower nozzles on and off. If you scrub yourself while standing under a running shower, you will earn points and gradually clean yourself off. The far left and far right showers earn you 10x as many points as the middle one. The two green indicator bars at the bottom of the screen display the current B.O levels of your upper and lower body.

Soap Trick: The ghost will randomly slide a bar of soap across the slippery floor. If it hits your feet, you will slip and fall, and must rock the joystick left and right to gain traction and get back up.

Flying Loofah: The ghost will randomly hurl a loofah at you. If you don't duck it, you will slip and fall, and must rock the joystick left and right to gain traction and get back up.

Towel Trick: When you have fallen down, the ghost will grab a wet towel and attempt to whack you with it. With each successful hit, you lose one health point. When you have lost all your health points the game is over. Press the fire button to begin a new game.

B.O Meters: Two green meters at the bottom of the screen gauge the B.O. levels of your upper and lower body. The meters will gradually diminish as the character showers off. When the meters are fully depleted, the game will proceed to the next level (not implemented yet.)

post-21152-1235599659_thumb.png

post-21152-1235599675_thumb.png

post-21152-1235599696_thumb.png

Edited by jrok

I decided to turn one of my graphics experiments into an 8k game. It's basically a spoof on the classic "shower scene" trope of American horror movies.

Wow, this sounds neat, and totally original. I can't wait to fire it up!

Michael

Obligatory question: "Got any screenshots?"

Thanks Michael! Sure thing! Here are some screenshots from x26:

post-21152-1235595251_thumb.png post-21152-1235595262_thumb.png post-21152-1235595272_thumb.png

How did you do the water effect? Looks great!

Thanks Maus. Basically it took some trial and error to get it to look right. First I defined two single-line sprites and assigned them to player0 and player1 and then defined the height of both players at 67px. Each frame that the water stream is shown, I set the hi pointers of both players to their coordinate y values and set their lo pointers relative to a pair of cycling variables that I reserved for general animation purposes. The key is to set the lo pointers to a value that is always greater than the height, but varies in how *much* greater it is. For instance:

player1x = sprite_x : player1y = 50
 player0x = sprite_x-8 : player0y = 50
 player0height=45 :  player0pointerhi = 50 : player0pointerlo = 100 + [some iterative looping variable]
 player1height=45:  player1pointerhi = 50 : player1pointerlo = 100 + [some iterative looping variable]

Hope that makes sense.

Jarod.

Edited by jrok

You control a woman trying to take a shower in the locker room of a new fitness center that is haunted by a pesky poltergeist. The ghost will frustrate your sanitary efforts using a variety of tricks and traps, with new ones unveiled a bit at a time throughout gameplay. One of the goals of the game is to keep things mysterious and surprising. Although events will start out innocently enough, if you get far enough into the game things things will get progressively darker and more sinister.

Controls:

• Joystick left/right : Move the character horizontally.
  • Joystick up: Scrub upper body
  • Joystick down: Scrub lower body
  • Fire Button: Jump
  • Wiggle Joystick left and right: If you slip and fall, wiggle the joystick rapidly in alternating directions to get back on your feet.

Gameplay:

Right now, there are only a few game mechanics in place.

Showers: The ghost randomly turns shower nozzles on and off. If you scrub up yourself while standing under a running shower, you will earn points and gradually clean yourself off. The far left and far right showers earn you 10x as many points as the middle one. The two green indicator bars at the bottom of the screen display the current B.O levels of your upper and lower body.

Soap Trick: The ghost will randomly slide a bar of soap across the slippery floor. If it hits your feet, you will slip and fall, and must rock the joystick left and right to gain traction and get back up.

Towel Trick: When you have fallen down, the ghost will grab a wet towel and attempt to whack you with it. With each successful hit, you lose one health point. When you have lost all your health points the game is over. Press the fire button to begin a new game.

For my next steps, I think I'm going to attempt making the floor slippery, so that you can't stop your movements on a dime and will have to plan more aggresively to hit the showers. I am also going to include a couple more ghost "tricks" and increase the player's movement and defensive options a bit.

post-21152-1235599659_thumb.png post-21152-1235599675_thumb.png post-21152-1235599696_thumb.png

The third screenshot is making me horny. :D

I like the way it looks, but I thought the water in the earlier demo was fine too.

I was doing that by flickering the ball in an insane, completely convoluted way. For some reason I thought I could eventually make each ball look like a falling stream of water... nope, I couldn't. :(

I need to check in on the batariBasic forum more often... ;)

You know, the scary thing is that the sprite looks so... um... good. You gotta wonder how much time jrok spent getting it to look "just right" in its (I mean, her) various poses and postures.

And then you go look at those old Mystique games and wonder how they could have been so bad. I mean, if the sprites in those games had been as well-done as jrok's, they probably would have created a *lot* more of an outcry! ;)

Michael

MAJOR BUG:

It appears I started getting so "clever" right before I posted this thing that a major bug slipped by :sad: . Most of the time when you recover from a slip, the towl will vanish and the soap trick will stop working altogther in the current BIN... I'll see if I can work up a fix and post a new file tonight.

Cheers,

Jarod.

Edited by jrok

I need to check in on the batariBasic forum more often... ;)

You know, the scary thing is that the sprite looks so... um... good. You gotta wonder how much time jrok spent getting it to look "just right" in its (I mean, her) various poses and postures.

And then you go look at those old Mystique games and wonder how they could have been so bad. I mean, if the sprites in those games had been as well-done as jrok's, they probably would have created a *lot* more of an outcry! ;)

Michael

Hahah well, to be fair it all started out as a pseudo 3D experiment. I tried a few figures with "clothing" first but they tended to overcomplicate the form... just random black lines for the sake of 8-bit "modesty." I was driving myself nuts trimming the spritelines as it was... even a simple pair of Capris pants might have put me in the mental hospital!

Cool game. Different colors for the 2 BO bars would be better and\or with the words UPPER and LOWER in the bars. Also an end screen for when you are clean and just ditch the score table all together. Very original game, I like it alot. Do you plan on making an alternate version with a male protaganist?

EDIT: The name "Shower Power" or "Don't Drop The Soap" seems like a good name for something like this, maybe for the other version?

Edited by Shawn Sr.

MAJOR BUG:

It appears I started getting so "clever" right before I posted this thing that a major bug slipped by :sad: . Most of the time when you recover from a slip, the towl will vanish and the soap trick will stop working altogther in the current BIN... I'll see if I can work up a fix and post a new file tonight.

Cheers,

Jarod.

Okay I fixed it now... sort of. When you get up, the towel still vanishes, but at least it doesn't break the soap routine. I reposted the fixed file in the original post and have attached it here as well:

Cheers,

Jarod

Edited by jrok

Cool game. Different colors for the 2 BO bars would be better and\or with the words UPPER and LOWER in the bars. Also an end screen for when you are clean and just ditch the score table all together.

Different colors would be doable, but adding the words would be a stretch. Hey what am I, made of flicker? :P

Very original game, I like it alot. Do you plan on making an alternate version with a male protaganist?

Thanks! I guess a male version would work just as well, but since when does a horror movie have a "shower scene" with a man? I want to try to keep this a little realistic lol.

Cheers!

Makes me feel dirty. :P

I should've seen that one coming :roll:

This would prob sell in Japan well!

Hrrrmm, maybe. But first I'd have to turn the ghost into a mute, chalky-skinned epileptic. Then I can program a terrible remake of the game a few years from now, replace the bather with an American TV actress and insert random Western pop cultural references... it'll make millions...

the-grudge.jpgsmg_1.jpg

Edited by jrok

Cool game. Different colors for the 2 BO bars would be better and\or with the words UPPER and LOWER in the bars. Also an end screen for when you are clean and just ditch the score table all together.

Different colors would be doable, but adding the words would be a stretch. Hey what am I, made of flicker? :P

Very original game, I like it alot. Do you plan on making an alternate version with a male protaganist?

Thanks! I guess a male version would work just as well, but since when does a horror movie have a "shower scene" with a man? I want to try to keep this a little realistic lol.

Cheers!

I would be more interested in a male version, but I am in the minority, I am sure of that

and you are wrong,

there was a famous horror movie with male shower scene

post-6602-1235679107_thumb.jpg

post-6602-1235679120_thumb.jpg

I would be more interested in a male version, but I am in the minority, I am sure of that

Actually you are the second one on the thread to suggest that, so maybe not such a small minority after all. Maybe someone can do a male hack after the game is complete? I wouldn't have a problem with that.

and you are wrong,

there was a famous horror movie with male shower scene

post-6602-1235679107_thumb.jpg

post-6602-1235679120_thumb.jpg

Aha! Yes, I forget about that one as well. Definitely a classic. :)