IGNORED

How do I set MAME game controls to be used with a mouse?

Skyyking

I'm not on my home machine, and I forget the exact menus, but first you have to tell MAME32 you would like to use your mouse. Somewhere there is a controllers menu that lets you enable or disable controllers for MAME32, including the mouse.

Once you've done that, the games that require analog controls may start automagically working with the mouse. If not, the in-game config menu, brought up with the tab key after you start a game, should get you to where you need.

If you're still having trouble and no one else has helped, I'll refresh my memory on the menu names after I get home tonight.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What release of MAME are you using? DOS MAME? MAME32? MacMAME?

MAME32. I'd like to lay Centipede and Tempest. Can most games be somehow played with a mouse?

Just go to "Default Game Properties" and then to "Controllers" and then click on "Enable Mouse Input". Simple.

You may also want to upgrade to MAMEUI rather than using the older MAME32.

• 3 months later...

MAME32

MAME32. I'd like to lay Centipede and Tempest. Can most games be somehow played with a mouse?

Just go to "Default Game Properties" and then to "Controllers" and then click on "Enable Mouse Input". Simple.

Yep...

Also, within the ROM itself (i.e. hit the TAB key after booting the ROM) there's an "Analog Controls" option. Within there, you can adjust the sensitivity and experiment which value works best.

For example, in a game like Tail Gunner that has cross hairs, I've found that sensitivity set at 75 works best for me.

Edited by rmaerz

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I know it's been a while, but I just did that and it doesn't work. Only the mouse click works, and that because it's already assigned (you can check it pressing TAB and choosing Input (general) -> Player 1 Controls)

I am using MAMEUI 1.50 on Win7 64 bit.

Any idea how to make the mouse work in MAME?

I know it's been a while, but I just did that and it doesn't work. Only the mouse click works, and that because it's already assigned (you can check it pressing TAB and choosing Input (general) -> Player 1 Controls)

I am using MAMEUI 1.50 on Win7 64 bit.

Any idea how to make the mouse work in MAME?

What game are you trying to use it with? Maybe mouse only works with certain games.

If he's already launched the game at least once, in addition to altering the default game properties, he may also need to edit the created .ini file for the game specifically.

I managed to define the mouse to control movements but it's quite a hard task to do that.

For example, If I want to define "P1 Up", you go to that key, push "Enter" to define the key and then you have to move the mouse up.

The problem is that MAME doesn't read well the mouse up movement. You have to try at least like 7 times in order to get MAME understand that you want to define "Mouse up" (Mouse Y-) for "P1 Up".

Many times it will understand "Mouse Y- Mouse X+" instead of plain "Mouse Y-".

I hope the future versions of MAME will improve that by allowing you to choose "Mouse Up" instead of expecting you to move the mouse up.

Another question: How can I set the mouse sensitivity in MAME? I played a few scrolling shooter games and the ship is moving way too slow.

• Confused 1

• 7 years later...
2 hours ago, JagChris said:

Has this gotten any better? Trying to figure out how to use mouse input is like pulling teeth. Even in 2021. After all this time have these guys heard of user friendly? 

They have not. Been following the project since 1996 and the hierarchical levels of config files and prioritization remains as lousy as ever.

6 hours ago, Class316 said:

Here's what works for me. I run MAMEUI64.

After I run the game, I exit and go to the ini directory. 

I open the ini file of whatever game. Then I change mouse from 0 to 1.

You can enable mouse support right in the gui.  It can be set as a global default or set per game, all from the gui.

1-2.png

Editing the INI is the most reliable way. I've had issues with the GUI syncing sometimes for example with games like Tempest.

e.g. Using MameUI right now for example I have Mouse Input enabled in the GUI for Tempest Rev 3, but it doesn't work:

image.thumb.png.04736372e4ab4c35c7b84312c001c2c2.png

Checking the Tempest3.ini confirms it was still not set for whatever reason. Of course changing it to a 1 then works. 

image.png.b143477b889c6601328b90d8a8d39e74.png

'Course don't forget you can further tweak the response in the in-game menu

image.png.41dd4a29308125514669dab8fa79770b.png

• Like 1