IGNORED

Wear and Tear on a Sony PS2 Console

ninoy1995

Hello,

Would any of you guys have any input as to what parts or components normally breaks down on a PS2 System under "Normal (2 hours/day) use.

Will appreciate any inputs.

Thanks.

Erick

I don't know why you're asking :) but on ps2s it's almost always the disk drive. I've had 2 on my 2 slims fail me, and one on my phat fail me. It's just a fact of life. I barely used them too as I always used my roomates when I was in college a couple years ago, which is kinda ironic since his never broke. :)

Reason I ask is because I would like to know which parts of PS2 to order just in case something breaks in my system. I know it is premature to think that Sony will stop prodution of PS2s, but they just did that to the "fat" version. I just want to make sure I have some parts to at least extend my consoles functionality for some more years since I don't see any need for me at the moment to get the PS3.

Thanks.

I'd say the CD lens is prone to a film of dust and if you smoke cigs then nicotine film. An easy cure is to take a Q-tip and carefully wipe it till the residue and dust particles are gone...

I've never had any system break down and I normally play in 4 to 5 hours a day.

The so-called "fat" PS2's are very prone to disc mechanism problems. I've fixed many of them. The grease that was used to lubricate the rails will gum up with fuzz and gunk. Also, the fans in the back tend to fail - sometimes the blades break off. If the previous owner was a smoker, the inside will be nasty.

To repair the disc mechanism, open the console, take the cover off the disc mechanism and remove the tray. Remove the tiny screws holding the lens rails in, and remove the rails, and disconnect/remove the lens assembly. Clean the rails thoroughly with alcohol, as well as the brass bushings on the lens assembly. Clean the lead screw. Clean the lens (carefully!). Reassemble the mechanism - when you do, ensure that the you orient the worn left rail (it will have a groove in it from the lens assembly) so that the lens has a non-worn portion to ride on. Relubricate the mechanism with a tiny amount of lithium grease. Reassemble.

The fans aren't repairable, they must be replaced if they fail. They need to work, otherwise the console will crash after running for a half hour or so. If the fan still works, clean it.

-Ian

Edited by Ian Primus