IGNORED

Best Colecovision Controllers?

VectorGamer

I just received a Colecovision today and it came with one dead controller and a bum controller so I am in the market for two new controllers...

Are there any controllers that would be recommended over the stock controllers that come with the system? Post links if you could to point me in the right direction...

Incidentally, I had that problem with vertical sprites around objects on this "new" old system. I narrowed it down to the power switch based on the information I read in the Colecovision FAQ and the troubleshooting that I did. I took it apart (it was a pain to take the cover off just like everyone said it would) and gave it a thorough cleaning using canned air and isopropyl alcohol, and along with a little 4-in-one oil on the power switch itself and it worked like a champ! Lastly, I replaced the wire that connects out from the unit to the TV switch to get a clear picture. Totally awesome!

You can plug Atari sticks into the Coleco and they'll work - you only have one button though, and you generally need to start the game with the Coleco keypad.

The controllers shouldn't be that hard to fix though. Take them apart and try a good cleaning.

-Ian

I did not know there were generic Colecovision controllers? My Colecovision controllers work fine, but one of my Intelevision controllers is broken. Were there after market controllers for Intelevision too?

I did not know there were generic Colecovision controllers? My Colecovision controllers work fine, but one of my Intelevision controllers is broken. Were there after market controllers for Intelevision too?

I am unaware of any generic Coleco controllers - but the Coleco controller follows the "standard" for up/down/left/right/fire, and therefore things like the Atari and Sega controllers work. Any of the extra buttons require Coleco controllers, or a creative adapter circuit.

I also know of no replacement for the Intellivision controllers. Since they're hardwired to the console, I seriously doubt that aftermarket replacements were available. I've seen hacks to use other controls though.

-Ian

For one button games --> use an Atari CX-40 joystick in port 1 for playing and ColecoVision controller in port 2 to select skills level.

For two button games/keypad intensive games --> use a SuperAction, standard ColecoVision, Wico, or Power Stick controller.

I need to do pretty much what you mentioned for the console once a year (when I begin to see those damn vertical sprite lines appear: open the bitch up, a little cleaning with 91% alcohol, a little contact cleaner, then close the bitch up. A pain in the ass console but it's worth it.

post-4618-1235759925_thumb.jpg

I just picked up a new to me console as well and it too came with a bum controller. I have it the full deoxit treatment and even took some fine sandpaper to the contacts, but the only thing i can get it to do is move a little left every now and then when it feels like it. My other controllers tested fine on it so it's not the ports and all the wires seem to be connected just fine... any other tips and tricks? I have never had a Coleco controller not work after treatment--they always seemed pretty hardy.

The Wico ones are good, the Power Stick is better, but the Y-cable and a good Atari-compatible stick is the best.

The Wico contollers have the best joystick, but the action buttons on the side of the controllers are terrible.

The Power Stick has an iffy, but still decent joystick, and better buttons.

The Y-cable lets you use the Coleco keypad and whatever joystick you want, but if the game has two fire buttons (like Cosmic Avenger), you're generally out of luck.

Edited by J.Max

The Wico contollers have the best joystick, but the action buttons on the side of the controllers are terrible.

I don't even like the feel of that joystick, it's got no range of motion and the internal mechanism is garbage.

For the true Arcade Experience, I like to use either my Questar 2 button joystick or the 2 button GIM Fire Command. Both are solid (the GIM is made of METAL), and they both use "Old School" leaf spring contacts for the joystick and buttons for just the right feel. A 9 pin Y cable can be used to hook up to a stock controller, but I like the Champ keypad adapter instead - you plug your joystick into that and the adapter goes into the console. Naturally these are extremely rare so not everyone has the opportunity to play on one, but they do exist and are some of the best examples of aftermarket CV controllers out there.

post-41-1235836386_thumb.jpg

post-41-1235836398_thumb.jpg

post-41-1235836407_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 10 years later...
On 2/28/2009 at 8:53 AM, MrRetroGamer said:

I don't even like the feel of that joystick, it's got no range of motion and the internal mechanism is garbage.

For the true Arcade Experience, I like to use either my Questar 2 button joystick or the 2 button GIM Fire Command. Both are solid (the GIM is made of METAL), and they both use "Old School" leaf spring contacts for the joystick and buttons for just the right feel. A 9 pin Y cable can be used to hook up to a stock controller, but I like the Champ keypad adapter instead - you plug your joystick into that and the adapter goes into the console. Naturally these are extremely rare so not everyone has the opportunity to play on one, but they do exist and are some of the best examples of aftermarket CV controllers out there.

post-41-1235836386_thumb.jpg

post-41-1235836398_thumb.jpg

post-41-1235836407_thumb.jpg

OMG!!!

I have been searching for this joystick from my past and my vague  memory!   QUESTAR!!!!!   I had one of these a long time ago....Thanks for the pic and jarring my memory!!!

On 1/13/2020 at 1:31 AM, bluejay said:

I have one of these.  40 bucks is overpriced for an off brand NES controller,  modded for the CV, but they work well and are lightyears better than the stock CV controller.  The drawback is you can only use certain keypad functions. You can also mod a genesis controller to do the same thing. My go to is the above controller with a Y cable to use the stock controllers keypad.