IGNORED

800XL Motherboards variants "NTSC PAL SECAM" for dummies

Marsupilami

Oops, i've missed this one ! Thanks Marius !

If you can send me a hi-res shot of your freddie PAL xl's, i'll be glad to add them :)

Latest update :

NTSC

PAL

SECAM

I know this is absolutely ancient - the links above - but the NTSC and SECAM work, but the PAL doesn't! I wonder is the O.P. still around?

Thanks for the others, though! :)

Best Electronics Rev 10 catalog page 92: "Picture of a very rare Prototype Atari 800XL style 800XE mother board. This Prototype 800XE Mother board has the same chip set as an Atari 130XE including the extra 64K memory Bank and Freddie chip! Never Released"

I hope Best doesn't mind, if they do I'm sure we can delete the picture.

post-4566-1236212203_thumb.png

I've held one of those in my hands when I was at ICD. :)

Uploaded again:

(four 800XL PAL motherboards pictures - Rev.A, Rev.D PBT 374, Rev.D PBT 414, Rev.D PBT 504 - different from the three Marsupilami's PAL MBs)

Marsupilami, you can add them in your website if you want.

Thanks Philsan,

i've added your pictures but one because "800XL PAL Rev.D PBT 504 - back" is missing, do you have it somewhere ?

And BTW, congratulations for the quality of the pictures :)

Thank you Marsupilami for your website!

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the back of the 800XL PAL Rev.D PBT 504.

When I will open again that machine I will make it (and obviously will send it to you).

Regarding missing serial numbers, I've done a lot of cases/keyboard swapping so I don't want to communicate uncorrect data.

• 4 years later...

Soooo, I hate to necro, but I was doing some Googling today and found this thread.

I *own* an 800XL with 128k (NTSC). Complete with the box stating "Now with 128K!" and the laughable quote, "What will you do with all that extra memory?" on the back.

Next time I'm up at my folks house, where it's in storage, I'll see about digging it out and photographing it. I'm not opposed to tearing it apart and documenting the internals as well. Only part of it that was damaged as I recall was the period key broke off somehow, so I used to use a toothpick if I needed to type one.

• Like 5

Cool! Although it was designed in the Warner days, I'd be curious to know if these shipped out as late Warner machines or early Tramiel machines. I'm really surprised they didn't change the model designation too. When I worked at ICD, we had one of those boards (early version with no solder mask).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OP delivers, finally: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/mp55xcvoz9i7dzf/AAC61h9FsEMHAeDarMdzqlxsa

Just got back from my parents' place, and opened it up for photos. Haven't applied power again, maybe this week after work one day. Unfortunately the original box seems to have been lost to the multiple moves I made between parents and college and whatnot; shame, because I distinctly remember the '128kb' comment on there, and the quip, "What will you do with all that extra memory?" because I thought it was hilarious that my HP48gx had the same amount.

OP delivers, finally: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/mp55xcvoz9i7dzf/AAC61h9FsEMHAeDarMdzqlxsa

Just got back from my parents' place, and opened it up for photos. Haven't applied power again, maybe this week after work one day. Unfortunately the original box seems to have been lost to the multiple moves I made between parents and college and whatnot; shame, because I distinctly remember the '128kb' comment on there, and the quip, "What will you do with all that extra memory?" because I thought it was hilarious that my HP48gx had the same amount.

I only count 8 RAM chips D4164C for a total of 64K .... what gives?

Just finished some googling since I was curious, and came here to say the same. Maybe the unit in the box wasn't the same as what was on the outside? Who knows, since the box is long gone I only have my memory to go on. I didn't buy it new, bought it off a friend when we were kids and I think it was given to him before that so no idea how it came to be originally. Oh well, so maybe what I owned was a rare piece of cardboard containing a run of the mill Atari inside. Still was fun to play and hope it brings my kids some of that enjoyment.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Karl!

Having a picture of the back of the 130XE board (aka 800XLF 128K - week #50 of 1984) would go a long way in reproducing it.

I think I've only seen the front of it in a previous thread you authored.

Note that I've been digging hard into SECAM territory (800XLF / 130XE / XEGS - All SECAM) and, not only the 800XLF SECAM ROSE is neat due its availabillity (and despite its color limitations) but the SECAM XEGS has 2 Component outputs: 1 via RCA, 1 via Monitor Port.

True video mirroring back in 1987!

(see my other thread: XEGS with 2 Color Pots / Knobs for a picture of the internals of that unit).

Cheers,

AKD.

Just finished some googling since I was curious, and came here to say the same. Maybe the unit in the box wasn't the same as what was on the outside? Who knows, since the box is long gone I only have my memory to go on. I didn't buy it new, bought it off a friend when we were kids and I think it was given to him before that so no idea how it came to be originally. Oh well, so maybe what I owned was a rare piece of cardboard containing a run of the mill Atari inside. Still was fun to play and hope it brings my kids some of that enjoyment.

well - as i highlighted above - this ain't really what you think it is.

at the very least it's someone's "project" - the case label clearly states "made in taiwan" but the mobo says Hong kong

did Atari do this? or did your friend?

• 2 years later...
On 3/5/2009 at 7:24 PM, kheller2 said:

I'm pretty certain some 800XLs (non NTSC) units did have 128K. In fact I vaguely remember seeing pictures of the box that said something like "now with 128K". I could have dreamt it. Not to be confused with the 800XE branded 65XE on a 900XLF board nor the 800XL-F Rose.

You know, it would be interesting to find out what happened to all the non-US Atari documents, headquarters etc stuff went.

I would like to just take a 800XL-F and make it NTSC for fun.

In hindsight, I'm pretty certain I'm wrong on this and no 128K XL's were ever produced.  (This post is 13 years old, so one learns things in time).  I don't think any NTSC 800XLF board were ever produced (but you can take the PAL and make it NTSC).

• Like 1