IGNORED

Ever heard of a "Back Door"?

Now now, let's not type that into Google Image search, lest we conjur up goatse. What I'm referring to are passwords and cheat codes. I had never heard them called a "Back door" before, but in a Hardy Boys novel (can't figure out which one, stilll googling) they used the term as if it were industry standard. Also, an old edition of The World Almanac for Kids called cheat codes a "God Mode".

Has anyone heard these terms used like this before, and what are some other good examples of pseudo-terminology?

Yes, both of those are pretty standard. I was just watching War Games the other day, and his hacker friends that he goes to visit explains the term back door. That term has been around since the late '70s at least, probably a whole lot earlier than that. The earliest I know that God Mode was used was around the time of the first Doom, but it could have been before that, I don't know.

Yes, both of those are pretty standard. I was just watching War Games the other day, and his hacker friends that he goes to visit explains the term back door. That term has been around since the late '70s at least, probably a whole lot earlier than that. The earliest I know that God Mode was used was around the time of the first Doom, but it could have been before that, I don't know.

Mister potato-head. MISTER POTATO HEAD! Back doors aren't secrets!

Mr. Potatohead!!, MR. POTATOHEAD!! BACKDOORS ARE NOT SECRETS!!!

Great freakin flick. I still have on VHS. Think i'll play it on the Colecovision now!

Anthony....

Of course I have. :)

"Back door" in the context of computer programming, is a very common term that has been used for decades by game and computer geeks. I'm surprised you didn't know what it means,... well you learn something everyday....

I would suspect your age to be in the early twenties? - correct? or no?

:)

Of course I have. :)

"Back door" in the context of computer programming, is a very common term that has been used for decades by game and computer geeks. I'm surprised you didn't know what it means,... well you learn something everyday....

I would suspect your age to be in the early twenties? - correct? or no?

:)

I'm 27. Sorry, I seriously had never heard the term outside this book before.

It was also very popular when BBS days reached their peak in the early 90's. There were lots of "doors" for BBS' (look up doors, I don't feel like explaining)> My friend, who went by the name of Darknite, created a door with a "backdoor". Whoever used his door on their BBS, my friend could get into their DOS through his door. He could upload, download, even format the HD if he wanted to. Those were great times...

It's all good man. :) Everyone has different life experiences and excel in many different arenas of knowledge.

The "God mode" cheat enabled in a game usually refers to not being able to die in a game or having all the various cheats available to you in the game while playing and/or being used all at the same time. The Atari Jaguar's "Doom" has a God mode cheat - the eyes of the character turn yellow. :D

I'm 27. Sorry, I seriously had never heard the term outside this book before.

Seriously? I'm 31 and now I suddenly feel old...

Tempest

I'm 25 man. As a joke, my girliefriends say I need to take either the 2 or the 5 out because I play alot of Video Games. Perhaps my Xbox Live charm is a little to much for them. My Gamertag is Mr Ooh La La. Hahaha.....How can they not resist me? (-_^)\m/.

Anthony....

My Gamertag is Mr Ooh La La. Hahaha.....How can they not resist me? (-_^)\m/.

That makes me want to snuggle with you on a cozy snowy afternoon with a cup of white tea dumped down my pajamas. Ooooh, I'm getting all tinkley now. My pajama bottoms are full of white tea and tinkle, but I don't care. Let's just keep snuggling in this smelly, sticky mess and and play Xbox. :D

Back door, no. God mode, yes. That was a term for invincibility in the old first person shooter Doom, and it's been used ever since for codes that made you, well, God-like.

First time I heard 'back door' was in the movie WarGames and I thought it only applied to a secret, easy way for the creator of a secure system to get back in and had nothing to do with game cheats.

Back door, no. God mode, yes. That was a term for invincibility in the old first person shooter Doom, and it's been used ever since for codes that made you, well, God-like.

First time I heard 'back door' was in the movie WarGames and I thought it only applied to a secret, easy way for the creator of a secure system to get back in and had nothing to do with game cheats.

First time I heard the term was in The Doors' song Backdoor Man, and I can guarantee you that it had nothing to do with video games.

Yeah, I've never heard the word back door used in the context of game cheats. The first time I ever heard the term was probably very late '70s, but I'm positive the term was around longer than that. I do suspect that the term God Mode originated with the original Doom, but... I don't want to be too sure about that. There were plenty of games before that (obviously), so Doom could have gotten it from somewhere I don't know. I just googled trying to find the origin and really came up with nothing. Maybe some really intense scoring of teh intarnets could come up with something.