IGNORED

Best/worst NES and SNES games and emulators?

This has probably been discussed 5 billion times, but I don't want to post in an old thread and get somebody's panties in a bunch, so here's a brand new thread with my questions:

1. What are the best NES games (or your favorites)?

2. What are the worst NES games (or ones you hate, even if others love them)?

3. What is the best and easiest to use NES emulator at this time for a Windows PC?

4. What are the best SNES games (or your favorites)?

5. What are the worst SNES games (or ones you hate, even if others love them)?

6. What is the best and easiest to use SNES emulator at this time for a Windows PC?

No need for 'IMHO', just post what you think is great and what what you think sucks. If others don't agree with you, don't worry about it. They can lick your taint if they don't like your opinions. :D

Here are the titles I believe to be the most interesting and playable on those two platforms. I have somewhat of a bias for arcade and action-adventure games.

1. Fav NES

Balloon Fight, Blaster Master, Captain Tsubasa II (Famicom), Guerilla War, Jackal, Metal Storm, Metroid (Famicom), Quarth, Punch-Out! - Mike Tyson's, Solar Jetman, Kunio Sports Games (Basketball, Soccer 1-2, Hockey, Dodge Ball) (Famicom), Kunio - Downtown Tournament (Famicom)

2. Disliked NES

Grinding-heavy japanese RPGs (ex. Square and Enix titles).

Mean-spirited, cheap difficulty (ex. SMB Lost Levels).

3. Good NES Emulator (Win32)

Nestopia

4. Fav SNES

Mr. Do!, Ms. Pac-Man, Dropzone - Archer MacLean's, Contra III: The Alien Wars, Zelda: ALttP - Ancient Stone Tablets - BS Zelda (Third Quest, Fourth Quest), Super Metroid, Assault Suit Valken (Cybernator) - Metal Warriors - Front Mission: Gun Hazard, The Firemen - The Ignition Factor, Pocky & Rocky I-II, Shiren the Wanderer - Mysterious Dungeon II (SFC), Super Castlevania IV, True Lies, Terranigma, Umihara Kawase (Little Fishing Girl) (SFC), Wild Guns

5. Disliked SNES

Again, grinding-heavy japanese RPGs, except for roguelikes (ex. Square and Enix titles).

Most SNES platformers borrow heavily from each other, and are especially boring to me. They also seem to concentrate innovation on the wrong aspects (graphics, marketing, superficial gameplay additions).

6. Good SNES Emulator (Win32)

Zsnes

Edited by johnny_boy

I wish ZSNES didn't have such an odd interface.

SNES9X and ZSNES are the two heavyweights who go way back (in the context of PC emulators). In ZSNES's case, even though the GUI is full custom, it affords several conveniences, such as enabling native gamepad menu navigation throughout its interface.

Try both, and see which suits you better. :)

1. Favorite NES Games: Castlevania, Metroid, Super Turrican, Contra, Lifeforce, Mario Bros., Galaga, Barbie ( :D ).

2. Worst NES Games: Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Captain Planet, Joust, Wizards and Warriors 1-3, Zelda II, Battle of Olympus, Bible Adventures, Tetris.

3. Best NES Emulator: NEStopia

4. Favorite SNES Games: Super Turrican II, Killer Instinct, Super Probotector (Contra III), Breath of Fire II, Demon's Crest, King of Dragons, Castlevania IV + Vampire's Kiss, Final Fight 1-3, R-Type 3, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid.

5. Worst SNES Games: Timecop, Alien vs. Predator, Outlander, X-Kaliber 2097, Eek! The Cat, Bubsy 1+2, Revolution X, Rise of the Robots, Brutal - Paws of Fury, Ren and Stimpy, Hyper V-Ball, all the Super Mario Games...

6. Best SNES Emulator: SNES9X

I'm sorry to say but I loved using my dc for nesterdc. I use to get the stuff from dcemulation.com and it no longer exists! Looks like I need to work google up, because I heard there was a sweet nes emulator update for dreamcast where it has the cart,manual,box cover,etc.

Just by looking up the name of your .nes rom.

Edited by OldSchoolMinty

I don't really dink around with the windows pc emulation too much for those systems especially when the xbox one is really good (I hate sitting at the pc for gaming). But when I do, I believe I use FCEultra for NES & ZSNES for SNES. As far as worst/best. I don't know.. my opinion on that has changed wildly about it for the past 20 or so years to the point it's now a foggy blur :lol:

There are discussions on the DP boards you might want to read since they have a whole lot of opinions. For example:

"Worst of NES"

"Top NES Games"

"The Worst of Super Nintendo"

"Top Super Nintendo Games"

As far as the xbox emulation.. I recently made a vid of it if you want to see why I like it. Although I don't show the NES emulation rest assured it's pretty darn good as well, and portable to any tv :P

If you have a fast enough PC, Bsnes is the most accurate SNES emulator. But, there are a handful of game not emulated yet.

http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/bsnes/

BSNES has a somewhat different purpose to most emulators; it focuses on accuracy over performance. To that end, it does not include any game specific hacks, or idle-loop skipping optimizations commonly found in other emulators. To add to the fun, it uses a cycle accurate hardware emulation.

:D

"1. What are the best NES games (or your favorites)?"

Tetris(NES version)

Millipede

Legacy of the Wizard

Gauntlet 2

Arkanoid

Goonies 2

RC Pro-AM

Cobra Triangle (Love this game!)

Adventure Island

Mickey Mousecapade

Little Mermaid

Balloon Fight

Stinger

Excitebike

Super Mario Bros.2 (US version)

Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Marble Madness

Legend of Zelda

Metroid

Ghosts n Goblins

Castlevania 1 and 2

Megaman 1 and 2

Skate or Die

Dragon Spirit

Legendary Wings

Adventures of Lolo

3D World Runner(w 3D glasses)

Ninja Kid

Bubble Bobble

Athena

MTV's Remote Control

"2. What are the worst NES games (or ones you hate, even if others love them)?"

X-men by LJN ( I hate that game lol)

Rad Racer (I'd rather play Outrun!)

3D World Runner( the 3D glasses save this game but without them it sucks)

Back to the Future

Ring King (saw someone play this recently..what is that little kid doing in between rounds? eww)

Mighty Bomb Jack

Pac-man (Tengen version)

Spy Hunter ( not even close to the arcade!)

Super Mario Bros 3 ( very overrated)

Barbie (lol)

Friday the 13th

Shadowgate(that one part I always get stuck in)

Rambo

Karnov(good gameplay but crappy ending)

Ghostbusters

Megaman 3 ( does'nt play at all like part 1 and 2..)

Tecmobowl (I know alot of people like that game,it bores me tho)

Bionic Commando

Ikari Warriors 2 (although the music is really good...game and ending is really lame)

Gyromite

I don't have SNES and I don't use emulators so that's my input for teh thread :roll:

edit- although Super Mario Kart on N64 is one of my faves....how come no questions abnout the N64??? :ponder:

Edited by lushgirl_80

If you have a fast enough PC, Bsnes is the most accurate SNES emulator. But, there are a handful of game not emulated yet.

Thanks. I'll see if my computer can handle it. Probably can't.

edit- although Super Mario Kart on N64 is one of my faves....how come no questions abnout the N64??? :ponder:

I had an NES, SNES, then moved on to the 3DO (as it was dying), Playstation, Xbox, and PS2. Never was interested in the N64 and I don't have a 3D accelerated graphics card anyway, so I can't use N64 emulators.

My fave NES games:

SMB series, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Zelda 1&2, Guardian Legend, Mike Tyson's Bite-Off (er, Punch-Out), Kid Niki, Faxanadu, Castlevania series, Wrecking Crew, Bases Loaded, Pro Wrestling, Double Dragon 1&2, Dragon Warrior, Gyruss, Goonies II, Gradius, Kings Of The Beach, Technos Samurai, Lifeforce, Mega Man series, Ninja Gaiden series, RC Pro-Am, River City Ransom, Contra, Tecmo Bowl, Track & Field II, Wizards & Warriors

Favorite emulator:

FCEU

Some really bad NES games:

Any of the religious games, Taboo, Super Pitfall, 10 yard fight, John Elway QB, Karate Kid, Bad Street Brawler

Didn't play much SNES games but some I really liked:

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon-Another Story (don't laugh, it's actually pretty good), Blackthorne, Dracula X, Chrono Trigger, Clock Tower, Harvest Moon, Zelda Link To The Past, Magic Knight Rayearth, Mario Paint, Super Mario All-Stars, Tenchi Muyo

Fave emulator:

ZSNES

Random, you should definitely check out Game Boy games too. Donkey Kong (94) is one of my all-time favs, and Zelda: Link's Awakening was one of the last time I found a Zelda game to be decent.

Game Boy Emulators

Oh yeah, I kind of forgot about Game Boy emulators. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

1. What are the best NES games (or your favorites)? Super Mario series, Castlevania I and III, Wizards and Warriors, High Speed, Tiny Toon Adventures, Metroid, Clu Clu Land, Kirby's Adventure, The Legend of Zelda, Metal Gear, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series, Bill and Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure, Friday the 13th, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Uncharted Waters, and Contra

2. What are the worst NES games (or ones you hate, even if others love them)? Zelda II: Adventure of Link, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, NARC(cut to shit on the NES), WWF Wrestlemania, Ring King(the first and only gay boxing game), Jaws, Bigfoot, Super Off-Road, Top Gun, Krusty's Fun House, HOOK, Die Hard, and WWF King of the Ring

3. What is the best and easiest to use NES emulator at this time for a Windows PC? Without a doubt, FCE Ultra. Plays FDS games like a dream

4. What are the best SNES games (or your favorites)? Super Mario World, Starfox, Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out, Donkey Kong Country, Secret of Evermore, Super Mario All-Stars, Final Fantasy II, Chrono Trigger, Zelda: Link to the Past, WWF Royal Rumble, Contra III, R-Type III, Space Megaforce, Mortal Kombat 3, Yoshi's Island, F-Zero, Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, Final Fantasy III, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Mario RPG, and Mario Paint

5. What are the worst SNES games (or ones you hate, even if others love them)? WWF Super Wrestlemania, Yoshi's Island(great game, but that Baby Mario pisses me off), Mortal Kombat(what's missing? Oh I don't know...maybe BLOOD!), WCW SuperBrawl Wrestling, Doom(better than the 32X, but still a sucky port), Wolfenstein 3D(How DARE you censor this game!)

6. What is the best and easiest to use SNES emulator at this time for a Windows PC? SNES9X, ZSNES has better compatibility, but SNES9X is easier to use and is made for Windows.

BTW Random, what exactly are you using? Sound like your computer is ancient if you don't have a 3D graphics accelerator. Didn't the Pentium III's have that?

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

BTW Random, what exactly are you using? Sound like your computer is ancient if you don't have a 3D graphics accelerator. Didn't the Pentium III's have that?

Thanks for your list. I got a new computer from Best Buy in March of 2007. Here are the details:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1267243

;)

This is my revised list.... I changed my mind about Back to the Future....odd game but I do find the bonus stages to be fun.

Athena

Super Mario Bros. 1,2 and 3

RC Pro Am

Legend of Zelda

Excitebike

Metal Gear

Tetris

MTV's Remote Control

Adventure Island

Marble Madness

Little Mermaid

Mach Rider

Back to the Future ( yes alot of people don't like that but I like it.The bonus stages are really fun)

Stinger

Bubble Bobble

T & C Surf Design

Legacy of the Wizard

Gauntlet 2

Gyromite

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Ninja Kid

X-men

Pesterminator the Western Exterminator

Ghostbusters

Mega Man 3

Bionic Commando

Mighty Bomb Jack

Barbie

Menace Beach

Tecmo Bowl

Spy Hunter

Pac Man (Tengen version)

Gauntlet 1

3. What is the best and easiest to use NES emulator at this time for a Windows PC?

http://www.everyvideogame.com/arcade.php

Rock n Roll Racing

Super Mario World

Mario Paint

Killer Instinct

F-Zero

World Heroes 2

Street Fighter 2 ( not as good as the Super Famicom version )

Wizard of Oz

Final Fight

Shaq Fu

6. What is the best and easiest to use SNES emulator at this time for a Windows PC?

I never tried one.

Edited by lushgirl_80

I'm just going to suggest these since they are overlooked but really fun: Guardian Legend, Shatterhand, Journey to Silius

Terminator 2!!!

Don't know much about the SNES besides knowing these games are must play: Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Super Mario World, Star Fox, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

I really didn't like Earthbound

This has probably been discussed 5 billion times, but I don't want to post in an old thread and get somebody's panties in a bunch, so here's a brand new thread with my questions:

No need for 'IMHO', just post what you think is great and what what you think sucks. If others don't agree with you, don't worry about it. They can lick your taint if they don't like your opinions. :D

1. Arkanoid, Tetris, Rad Racer

2. None that I have.

3. Nester J

4. StarFox, HyperZone, Donkey Kong Country

5. Hard Drivin'

6. snes9x

1. You should definitely try Capcom's Disney-games like Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Chip&Dale Rescue Rangers. They're similar to the Megaman series (at least the graphics engine), but are based on the Disney cartoons and really done very well.

2. If you're looking for some really bad NES games look for a company called "Color Dreams", "Bunch Games" or "Wisdom Tree" (it's all the same company, just different names). If you know the Angry Video Game Nerd you propably heard of their Bible Games already ;) (all games they released under the name of "Wisdom Tree" are Bible games)

3. I use Nestopia and would highly recommend it. However, if you're into hacking/debugging games, FCeux may be a better choice.

4. I particularly like "Pitfall - The Mayan Adventure". If you're into RPGs take a look at "Earthbound".

5. Dunno...

6. I use ZSNES and would highly recommend it.