IGNORED

1200xl catridge question

yorgle

I summoned up the courage to try it. From the ATARI rainbow screen, plugged in a BASIC cart, the screen went black or three seconds then viola! READY. Pulled the cart out, again the screen went black for three seconds and guess what- back to the ATARI rainbow screen! I didn't even have to press RESET.

Cool.

I personally wouldn't do it. Cartridges designed for this task have the 5V contact(s) made shorter than the rest so that contact with power is made last and is never applied to the cartridge before contact with ground is established. Otherwise, excessive current may flow out of address or data lines and fry something. I think the code in the OS is there because without the 400/800's top door the cartridge may indeed go missing, but I've never seen where Atari said it was now proper to hot-swap them.

I wouldn't recommend it either. I think they catered for it possibly for "professional looks" reasons more than anything.

Especially on side/rear mounting mechanisms which are clumsy enough to engage as it is.

I only ever used to insert carts when "backing them up".

Yes... well... I plug or unplug the cart if I want to force a cold start without losing what's in extended memory. (on those machines with no battery backup) I've never had a problem other than locking up bank-switched carts. Doesn't hurt them, but doesn't get the job done, either.

I've never zapped a cart by plugging it with power on.

Doesn't make it OK, necessarily, but I wouldn't be afraid to do it if you need to.

Bob

I only ever used to insert carts when "backing them up".

Yes, that's the only good reason for doing it.

You don't even need to do that, Bob.

Thanks to a somewhat annoying "feature" in the XL/XE OS, you can force a coldstart by pressing Reset twice, just get the timing right.

I did it by accident on my XE the other day... annoying, but luckily didn't lose much.

The "Power Up Magic" numbers are cleared during warmstart, then re-initialised. If you happen to press Reset the second time in the intermediate period, the OS thinks you've freshly powered up and will coldstart.

Might be the part of the reason they changed the Reset action on XE vs XL... it's really easy to coldstart an XL, but a bit harder on the XE.