IGNORED

NEED HELP W/ my MAME cab!

CARTRIDGE STEALER

I have a problem with my mame cab. as many of you may remember, I bought a mame cab last year. it has 600 games. its been running well for the past year and a half but now when I boot it up, it give me an error about the floppy disk. it prompts me to press F1 to ignore the problem. simple, right? not really. I have to unplug the joystick and plug in my keyboard to do so.

then, I started to think. why dont I try and over ride the command? so, I decided to go into dos mode and change the setting from stopping at "all errors" to "no errors". I saved it then resets itself and everything is fine. but when I shut it off, it goes back to its defualt setting again. it doesnt always do this all the time. it could reset itself 5 minutes after its off of an hour. so, I dug a little deeper into dos and went to the help settings. i got this:

screen.jpg

so, all I have to do is select the "no erros" to default BUT it is not allowing me to! does anyone know how I can select it? the arrows on the keyboard wont select it nor will any of the other keys on the board, that I know of. can some one help!!

from what Im told, this computer in the cab is a 1997 model.

Okay, I assume you're trying to select "No errors" from outside this help menu right? I have the same BIOS (or a very similar looking AWARD BIOS at least) and you choose the different selections (in the place that's red on your screen shot there) with the arrow left/right keys.

As for the other issue, the battery on the mb could be dead or low. I'd check that first. Could explain why the No Error setting doesn't stick. That shouldn't prevent you from making a menu selection though.

It sounds like you're trying the right things otherwise though.

BTW, that's not DOS, that's your BIOS, which is pre-DOS. It starts up all your basic hardware systems and starts up DOS or other OS.

Edited by Mirage1972

Okay, I assume you're trying to select "No errors" from outside this help menu right? I have the same BIOS (or a very similar looking AWARD BIOS at least) and you choose the different selections (in the place that's red on your screen shot there) with the arrow left/right keys.

As for the other issue, the battery on the mb could be dead or low. I'd check that first. Could explain why the No Error setting doesn't stick. That shouldn't prevent you from making a menu selection though.

It sounds like you're trying the right things otherwise though.

BTW, that's not DOS, that's your BIOS, which is pre-DOS. It starts up all your basic hardware systems and starts up DOS or other OS.

battery? I didnt know it had a battery. is it simple to change? I dont know anything about it. when I hear battery, I think of something like a "aa" duracell for your electric toothbrush or tv remote!

yes, I select "no errors" outside the help section. I exit it to bring me another "prompt" page. when I want to leave that page, it asks me if i want to save it, which of course, I do. but when i reboot it later, it goes back to the default. so when i go to the help page, it doesnt allow me to select a new deault. I guess thats where the battery issue lies.

You tried hitting enter to see if it brings up the menu for the selection?

Page Up/Page Down?

+/-?

This kind of BIOS generally doesn't use the arrow keys to change options, it's usually +/-, or PageUp/PageDown.

-Ian

yes, I tried all those buttons when I am on the help page. it doesnt allow me to choose another selection. it remains at the default settings "all errors".

Okay, well then, possibly it is the battery. Usually they look like a flat disc, almost like a thick coin, right on the motherboard. Usually held down by a little metal clip. Unless yours is an odd duck, it should be pretty obvious. See if you can find something like that, and let us know. In the meantime, if you do find something like that, they can usually be picked up pretty cheap... been awhile since I've bought one, but you may check Batteries Plus if you have those... or if you have a large computer retailer in your area. I don't know if Best Buy or Radio Shack carries stuff like that anymore. Otherwise, you could order one online I'm sure. Part number should be etched right onto the battery face.

It sounds, if I'm understanding correctly, that you ARE able to choose No Errors in the right place, but it's not saving it (due to dead battery perhaps). Usually if you don't actually shut down, it doesn't matter if the battery is dead (will still hold the setting for a restart), but it could depend on the motherboard I suppose, or how you're doing it.

Edited by Mirage1972

You cannot "select" things from the help screen. The help screen just tells you what the options are. You have to select the option by paging through them on the main screen.

The battery is a CR2032, 3v lithium coin battery. You can buy them anywhere - Radio Shack, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. It's a very common part. Purchased at a retail store, it should be around four bucks. In bulk, they're much cheaper - but, you only need one...

The battery is about the size of a quarter and it's located on the motherboard in a little holder.

-Ian

I gathered that it sounds like he was trying to select from the help screen, but also got it to work from the correct place too. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me, even though he said once or twice "from the help screen"... ??? I don't know. Without further info, I would say it's the battery. Unless I/we hear otherwise, I'm going to mark this down as problem solved.

Yeah, it's funny, I never realized they were all (?) the same "CR2032, 3v lithium coin battery" from Ian's post. Every time I need one, I just put it in my pocket, go buy one that matches... never put two and two together that it may be the same one every time! Learn something new every day.

I gathered that it sounds like he was trying to select from the help screen, but also got it to work from the correct place too. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me, even though he said once or twice "from the help screen"... ??? I don't know. Without further info, I would say it's the battery. Unless I/we hear otherwise, I'm going to mark this down as problem solved.

yes, youre correct. I selected it on the screen where it is highlighted in "red". I would save it then reboot and it would be fine. then I shut it off from anywhere to 5 minutes to 60 minutes and it seems to go back to default.

I know I should be concentrating on the real problem at hand, however!

That makes sense then... on a reboot it's fine, then after a full shutdown the battery can't hold the setting. Definitely battery. See, at least it was an easy and cheap fix! Could have been a lot worse! :)

ok, heres what it says when I first turn the cab on:

start.jpg

you see, I have no idea what the problem is nor do I know how to resolve it. so, I thought I could just easily "ignore" the problem by trying to change the default. but if I can solve this problem, I may not have to change the battery. but changing the battery seems like its a much easier solution.

Edited by CARTRIDGE STEALER

Yeah, the battery is definitely dead. You don't have a floppy drive in that, no doubt - and the BIOS was set to ignore it. But, since the battery is dead, every time you turn it on, it loads the default config - which includes a floppy drive. Then it complains that it can't find it.

Replace the battery, set the settings and save them, and you're good to go.

-Ian

Yeah, the battery is definitely dead. You don't have a floppy drive in that, no doubt - and the BIOS was set to ignore it. But, since the battery is dead, every time you turn it on, it loads the default config - which includes a floppy drive. Then it complains that it can't find it.

-Ian

thanks, Ian, and everyone else that helped!!! I love this cab and mame period! my friend, scream and fly told me about mame in 98 but I just couldn figure it out. he and I were big video game geeks and mame was my dream come try. I still cant figure out how they fit the entire game into a tiny little rom!

-Ian

thanks, Ian, and everyone else that helped!!! I love this cab and mame period! my friend, scream and fly told me about mame in 98 but I just couldn figure it out. he and I were big video game geeks and mame was my dream come try. I still cant figure out how they fit the entire game into a tiny little rom!

ok, I took a look see at the innards of the cab and I dont know where to find a battery location.

heres one view:

arcade-1.jpg

I can't really see anything in that pic. Do you know what you're looking for? It looks like a coin, but a little thicker. About the size of a nickel. I've never seen on on a motherboard that was hidden. Should be right in plain site if you look around. Unless it's a really really weird one! But, it should be right on the main board, the large board. You may need to push some cables or whatnot aside to see everywhere on the motherboard, but I'm pretty sure it's there somewhere.

Should look similar to this:

post-16769-1236127872_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirage1972

I can't really see anything in that pic. Do you know what you're looking for? It looks like a coin, but a little thicker. About the size of a nickel. I've never seen on on a motherboard that was hidden. Should be right in plain site if you look around. Unless it's a really really weird one! But, it should be right on the main board, the large board. You may need to push some cables or whatnot aside to see everywhere on the motherboard, but I'm pretty sure it's there somewhere.

Should look similar to this:

post-16769-1236127872_thumb.jpg

Yes, I kinda knew what to look for (ive changed them in my car stereo remotes!) but I didnt see it. Ill check again tomorrow when its daylight and give it a thourough scan. Ill post up better pics tomorrow.

Erm... do you have a flash? If not, use a light, like a desklamp.

Hehe - the picture tube in my monitor here at work is really worn out. Those pictures are almost entirely black here...

Still having problems finding the battery? It should be fairly obvious - it's the only round shiny silver battery-sized item on the board :)

-Ian

Not all motherboard batteries are shaped like a coin.

For instance:

cmos-battery.jpg

or:

cmos.gif

It would probably be easier to determine the brand and model of motherboard and try to find a manual or some documentation for it on the net.

Edited by Buzbard

Ah... true. Sounds like he can't even get in there to get a good look... or at least to get any sort of halfway decent photo. If we could see a good photo, I'm sure any of us could point out the battery. And maybe so far, he can't even look closely enough to check the mb model... though I find that hard to believe.

Not all motherboard batteries are shaped like a coin.

Yeah, but he's got a K6/2 - I think by then, it was pretty standardized on the coin battery. The potted RTC module or soldered on lithium battery was common in the 386 and 486 era - I can't recall ever seeing one on a Pentium or newer machine. Of course, that doesn't mean that it wasn't done, just, I can't recall ever seeing one...

In any case, a picture would help...

-Ian