IGNORED

KITE! - my 6th VCS game development project.

Simon

Hello,

I started working on my 6th VCS game project "KITE!" and would like to tell you about the current version.

• I think that the sports of Kiting was not covered by any videogame so far and hope that this game is something new in videogames. To my knowledge the only reference of a kite in a videogame is in the unreleased prototype of "Good luck, Charlie Brown".
  • You control the game with two joysticks. One joystick for every hand. Pushing back the joystick makes you pull the connected line of this hand and make the kite turn and move on screen.
  • You have to collect dots and avoid colliding with birds, lightning and the ground.
  • You are not able to control your kite when you made too many loopings in the same direction, so you have to loop into the other direction again and remember the amount of loopings you made.
  • The dots to be collected are sometimes positioned randomly and sometimes moving directly below the cloud or the bird.

I'm currently working on the different levels and the introduction screen. Soundeffects need to be done.

The game is designed as a 4 kb game.

Later,

Simon

post-748-1236160099_thumb.png

• Like 1

Well Flash... I mean come on :D there are pooping, and watching paint dry flash games... what isn't a flash game these days? This will be the first console kite game :)

AX

A videogame is a videogame, it doesn't matter if it's a console game, a computer game or a flash game.

I tried all except the last one (slow internet), and only the first one gets close to catch the feeling of flying a real kite.

A two player mode (e.g. hunt the flag or cut the other kite's rope) would a nice option.

• You control the game with two joysticks. One joystick for every hand. Pushing back the joystick makes you pull the connected line of this hand and make the kite turn and move on screen.

Not sure if this is a good idea. IMO better use only one joystick.

either that or the keypad?

1/4 - left hand up/down

3/6 - right hand up/down

• Like 1

Looking good Simon. I think the two joystick control idea is a good one. Very innovative. I don't know of any other game that requires you to use two joysticks.

Will it just be the one kite desing or will you code in different kite designs perhaps unlockable ones?

Looking good Simon. I think the two joystick control idea is a good one. Very innovative. I don't know of any other game that requires you to use two joysticks.

On the 2600? Raiders of the Lost Ark and Spy Hunter I think...

THIS is why I love the 2600 and homebrewers. Looking forward to this.

FWIW, I do like the idea of using two joysticks, or some other unique form of control. Not sure how you'd do it with just one stick. Not sure how you'd hold both sticks either. I'm sure you'll figure it out and it'll be awesome!

Thanks for your reactions so far. :)

I'm sticking two the two joystick concept, because I think that this gives the game much more authenticity as you hold the joysticks just as kite handles in your hands. I tested it with Quickshot Joysticks (with suction cups) and liked the feeling very much.

However I may use a console switch to choose if you want to use one (direction left and right) or two joysticks (each direction down).

Well Flash... I mean come on :D there are pooping, and watching paint dry flash games... what isn't a flash game these days? This will be the first console kite game :)

AX

A videogame is a videogame, it doesn't matter if it's a console game, a computer game or a flash game.

Well, I don't consider flash or pc games as videogames. I always differentiated between videogames and computer games, but maybe this is only my personal opinion, because I dislike pc games... :P

Later,

Simon

I'm sticking two the two joystick concept, because I think that this gives the game much more authenticity as you hold the joysticks just as kite handles in your hands. I tested it with Quickshot Joysticks (with suction cups) and liked the feeling very much.

However I may use a console switch to choose if you want to use one (direction left and right) or two joysticks (each direction down).

Hmm... i think i would prefer a one joystick option so we can play the game with this. :D

Hmm... i think i would prefer a one joystick option so we can play the game with this. :D

I agree! I already have but the cock-rinnnn......um I mean string on mine just to make it all offical looking for the game.