IGNORED

Best home version of Donkey Kong?

Ransom

201 members have voted

1. 1. Which home system had the best version of Donkey Kong?

• Atari 2600
    • Atari 7800
    • Colecovision
    • Intellivision
    • NES / Famicom
    • Apple ][
    • Atari 8-bit
    • Commodore 64
    • ZX Spectrum
    • Coleco Tabletop
    • Nintendo Game + Watch
    • Other (explain below)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

There are three version of Donkey Kong for the ColecoVision Game System that were/are available on cartridge:

Thanks for the rundown. I just watched the blurry video of the Adam version from post #171, and I didn't see any fireball spawning from the burning oil barrel on the first (barrels) level, even though DK threw a barrel down there at the start of the level (he had to throw it at an angle instead of straight down because he's on the wrong side of the screen still, due to the missing girder). Also, there is still no animation for when you destroy an enemy with the hammer.

There are three version of Donkey Kong for the ColecoVision Game System that were/are available on cartridge:

Thanks for the rundown. I just watched the blurry video of the Adam version from post #171, and I didn't see any fireball spawning from the burning oil barrel on the first (barrels) level, even though DK threw a barrel down there at the start of the level (he had to throw it at an angle instead of straight down because he's on the wrong side of the screen still, due to the missing girder). Also, there is still no animation for when you destroy an enemy with the hammer.

Indeed, there are still missing or overlooked games elements in the ADAM Super Game version and my biggest gripe with it are the missing girders in the barrels (can live with) and fireballs (that REALLY changes things) levels. At least in the ADAM version, the girders are blue on the fireballs level, unlike the ColecoVision cartridge versions.

Unless it's a direct port of the arcade game, I would have to think that all versions have their little idiosyncrasies and that's what makes each version for whatever system fun and interesting to play even when you have played the arcade original thousands of times.

Easy to find. Just leech an entire Colecovision set off Usenet or something and it will most likely be in there. And one of these is it I'm sure: http://binsearch.inf...ge=1100&server=

That being said, if you can't use Usenet I found what I think is it on my hard drive ("SuperDonkeyKong.rom").. However by the dates I obviously leeched these roms in the late 90's :lol: So who knows if it is it, and I haven't bothered to verify. Give it a try though. If it's not, then the one I linked above is probably it for sure.

Col_DKs.zip

Yes, it's called Donkey Kong Original Edition. The file is dkoe.nes.

Screw it man, I just give it. See attached. :P

That being said it really is a nice version of Donkey Kong and even has the animation of Kong picking up Pauline after each level, etc., but since it's so nice it makes it's shortcomings all the more annoying since it is so CLOSE. :lol: :mad:

- Pie factory.. looks great, but only fireballs don't care which side of the barrel you're on (they're supposed to come out on the same side you're on). Also, more than 1 fireball comes out on the first stage (it's supposed to be 1 fireball per stage level). It doesn't seem to make much of a difference and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't. But it changes any strategy for the stage and just makes it a pretty much random dash to the top.

- 1st falling barrel on the ramps stage never changes (it always just drops straight down)

- Elevators dont seem to change speed on the 2nd level. I don't recall the 3rd level though.

Well, I think we know now why Nintendo may have been hesitant to include the factory stage in the NES version. The flicker on the top conveyor is realllllllly bad. Too bad to really charge money for. Though maybe with a little creativity, the level could have been rearranged somehow to include staggered conveyors or half conveyors...just an idea. Or maybe they could've included it as a secret level. I'm also not sure how bad the flicker would be on a CRT TV, as opposed to the LCD I'm playing it on right now.

Easy to find. Just leech an entire Colecovision set off Usenet or something and it will most likely be in there. And one of these is it I'm sure: http://binsearch.inf...ge=1100&server=

That being said, if you can't use Usenet I found what I think is it on my hard drive ("SuperDonkeyKong.rom").. However by the dates I obviously leeched these roms in the late 90's :lol: So who knows if it is it, and I haven't bothered to verify. Give it a try though. If it's not, then the one I linked above is probably it for sure.

None of those are it. Your "SuperDonkeyKong.rom" is the prototype Super DK! for ColecoVision. None of those files listed in the first link are the right one either I can tell by the name. But I don't understand how to use Usenet at all.

Yep.. I guess you're right. I haven't been paying too much attention but perhaps it's one of those games/ROMS that's being tightly held onto at the moment. I went ahead and snagged the entire TOSEC Colecovision / Adam sets and it looks like the only "Super Games" listed for Adam in it are:

09/13/2006  07:34 PM			72,297 Supergame - Buck Rogers - Planet Of Zoom (1983)(Sega).zip
09/13/2006  07:34 PM			42,607 Supergame - Cabbage Patch Kids - Park Adventure (1983-84)(O.A.A. Inc. - Coleco)[a][Req 128k].zip
09/13/2006  07:33 PM			12,300 Supergame - Cabbage Patch Kids - Park Adventure (1983-84)(O.A.A. Inc. - Coleco)[Req 128k].zip
09/13/2006  07:35 PM			69,388 Supergame - Super Subroc (1982-84)(Sega - Coleco).zip
09/13/2006  07:35 PM			66,752 Supergame - Super Zaxxon (1982-84)(Sega - Coleco).zip
09/13/2006  07:01 PM			26,413 Supergame - Trolls Tale (19xx)(-)(PD).zip
09/13/2006  07:01 PM			   406 Supergame - Trolls Tale (19xx)(-)(PD)[b].zip

See attached for complete listing.

list.txt

Yep.. I guess you're right. I haven't been paying too much attention but perhaps it's one of those games/ROMS that's being tightly held onto at the moment. I went ahead and snagged the entire TOSEC Colecovision / Adam sets and it looks like the only "Super Games" listed for Adam in it are:

09/13/2006  07:34 PM			72,297 Supergame - Buck Rogers - Planet Of Zoom (1983)(Sega).zip
09/13/2006  07:34 PM			42,607 Supergame - Cabbage Patch Kids - Park Adventure (1983-84)(O.A.A. Inc. - Coleco)[a][Req 128k].zip
09/13/2006  07:33 PM			12,300 Supergame - Cabbage Patch Kids - Park Adventure (1983-84)(O.A.A. Inc. - Coleco)[Req 128k].zip
09/13/2006  07:35 PM			69,388 Supergame - Super Subroc (1982-84)(Sega - Coleco).zip
09/13/2006  07:35 PM			66,752 Supergame - Super Zaxxon (1982-84)(Sega - Coleco).zip
09/13/2006  07:01 PM			26,413 Supergame - Trolls Tale (19xx)(-)(PD).zip
09/13/2006  07:01 PM			   406 Supergame - Trolls Tale (19xx)(-)(PD)[b].zip

See attached for complete listing.

list.txt

The Coleco Adam Donkey Kong Super Game must be set free!

Woah, these ADAM Super Game boxes are epic:

http://www.atariage..../6254-img-3018/

Does anyone have the ADAM Super Game Donkey Kong rom in .dsk or .ddp file that they can post? It's impossible to find anywhere.

Indeed those boxes are!!! The Zaxxon CiB can still be bought from www.eColeco.com for around $45... he was selling them for $15 a couple months ago until people became aware of these glorious boxes. BTW, Zaxxon - The Super Game is an incredible version for use on the ADAM Computer only with 4 or 5 new asteroids (maybe more) to traverse that weren't even in the arcade game, Hall of Fame hi-score saving AND a save game feature.

Almost impossible to find the Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior boxes.

Thing that kills me is that my old user group/mail-order for the CV & ADAM had hundreds of these SEALED that we had a hard time selling for $10 back in the day.

Here is a link to a thread I posted in the CV/ADAM Forum about the UNRELEASD 5 screen version of Donkey Kong Junior - The Super Game, with pics and, of course, the disk images. I covered about 25 ADAM software titles in this manner (some 3rd Party-Homebrew and others unreleased Coleco titles) so just search through the CV&ADAM Forum for some really great ADAM software.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/180615-adam-computer-game-of-the-week-17/page__p__2260617__hl__adam%20computer%20game__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=2260617

Well, what kind of person would I be if I didn't help out a fellow AA'er in need. So here is the ADAM Computer version of Donkey Kong - The Super Game, there are two Disk images of the game (differemt CRCs) and one Digital Data Pack image. Enjoy!

Dude, you rock! Would you believe that DKSG was actually missing from my small ADAM game software collection? :D

Well, what kind of person would I be if I didn't help out a fellow AA'er in need. So here is the ADAM Computer version of Donkey Kong - The Super Game, there are two Disk images of the game (differemt CRCs) and one Digital Data Pack image. Enjoy!

Dude, you rock! Would you believe that DKSG was actually missing from my small ADAM game software collection? :D

Glad to help out. As I always say (and this holds especially true for unreleased and proto carts and software), "What's the point of being the only person or one of with it !!!". I've just never understood that thinking

Glory!

Thanks so much NIAD. I can't wait to try it later. (BTW, what does "CRC" mean?)

Where did you find them? And why aren't they out there on the ROM sites/sets? You'd think this would be the most popular ROM, by far.

Edited by BillyHW

Woah, these ADAM Super Game boxes are epic:

http://www.atariage..../6254-img-3018/

Does anyone have the ADAM Super Game Donkey Kong rom in .dsk or .ddp file that they can post? It's impossible to find anywhere.

Indeed those boxes are!!! The Zaxxon CiB can still be bought from www.eColeco.com for around $45... he was selling them for $15 a couple months ago until people became aware of these glorious boxes. BTW, Zaxxon - The Super Game is an incredible version for use on the ADAM Computer only with 4 or 5 new asteroids (maybe more) to traverse that weren't even in the arcade game, Hall of Fame hi-score saving AND a save game feature.

Almost impossible to find the Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior boxes.

Thing that kills me is that my old user group/mail-order for the CV & ADAM had hundreds of these SEALED that we had a hard time selling for $10 back in the day.

Here is a link to a thread I posted in the CV/ADAM Forum about the UNRELEASD 5 screen version of Donkey Kong Junior - The Super Game, with pics and, of course, the disk images. I covered about 25 ADAM software titles in this manner (some 3rd Party-Homebrew and others unreleased Coleco titles) so just search through the CV&ADAM Forum for some really great ADAM software.

http://www.atariage...._1#entry2260617

Too bad I have no money right now to start a collection, but those boxes would be really awesome to have. They have to be the best ever made.

And I can't wait to go through your Adam threads in the archives. w00t!

BTW, I was looking at the file sizes and wondering some things. Why is the .ddp so much bigger than the .dsk (262KB vs 164 KB)?

And why are they both soooo much bigger than the 16KB-24KB of the cartridge Donkey Kongs? Surely one extra level and the intermissions don't need *that* much more memory.

I still haven't had a chance to try them yet, though. I will post an update when I do.

BTW, what does "CRC" mean?

Where did you find them? And why aren't they out there on the ROM sites/sets? You'd think this would be the most popular ROM, by far.

CRC stands for Cyclic Redundancy Checksum. You're best to Google it as I'm not about to try to explain it. :sleep:

As far as where did I find them, these and most of my rather large collection of ADAM disk and data pack images were made by myself from my personal collection back in 1997/1998 when I was helping Marcel de Kogel with testing his ADAMem emulator. I worked for and then took over and ran the largest CV/ADAM Users Group/Mail-order company (Northern Illiana ADAM Users Group or N.I.A.D. for short) back in the 80's and early 90's until I has to get a real world job seeing as the dream world job wasn't enough to pay the bills at the end.

BTW, I was looking at the file sizes and wondering some things. Why is the .ddp so much bigger than the .dsk (262KB vs 164 KB)?

And why are they both soooo much bigger than the 16KB-24KB of the cartridge Donkey Kongs? Surely one extra level and the intermissions don't need *that* much more memory.

I still haven't had a chance to try them yet, though. I will post an update when I do.

Blank ADAM data packs could store up to 256K and blank ADAM disks (the original ADAM Disk Drive) could store up to 160K blocks. So when making a disk or ddp image file, it is best to just copy the entire size of the media and not take a chance that something is missed by only copying the blocks that you think are needed. Plus, M.E.S.S. will only work with full size images, where as ADAMem will work with any size image.

The DK and DK Jr. Super Games are actually less than 128K in size... I don't recall the exact number after all these years. That would include boot code, title screens, added music, added levels and gameplay elements, intermissions and of course the Hall of Fame.

BTW, to clear the Hall of Fame of the current score list while it is displayed, press 9 8 9 on the controller keypad. This will clear all score and take you back to the name entry screen.

Oh yeah, press * on the keypad to pause the game.

Edited by NIAD

• 3 years later...

I voted for C64 (Ocean Software disk/tape release not Atarisoft) but technically the only version that looks, sounds AND plays like the arcade with all levels intact is the Amstrad CPC 8 bit disk/tape version also by Ocean Software (especially when played with a proper joystick like the ZipStick)

A big thank you to NIAD who uploaded his disk images, they are still hard to find after a fair bit of googling even in 2016. The only thing is I am using Adamem emulator but the sound is atrocious due to the way Soundblaster is delivered to old programs in Windows XP.

Does anybody have a solution, I have set the maximum quality available as 5 and also even downloaded SoundFX Soundblaster card emulators but this does not work properly for me (says it has expired even though I also installed the registry key the developers put on their website on the same page)

Any ideas how to get this to work nicely on a Windows XP or newer system without having to buy an old Pentium II PC with an AWE32 card inside it and putting Win 95 on it?