IGNORED

Hi! question about the Atari - Jr. Pac-Man discovered!

FrauBlucha

Hello, new here!

We were cleaning out the attic last weekend, and my dad pulled a box out that had a 7800 and a few games... some of them seem to have no plastic covers on them...

i did a google search for 7800, and it led me here.

there were 6 games, Mrs pacman, joust, robotron, galaga, and two that just look like green boards... not even sure if they really go with this unit.

it looks like there is a plug for it, but I can't find any controllers

does anyone know how to connect them to the video input on the lcd tv i have? i don't get anything but a blue screen when i try it

are any of these worth anything?

does anyone know where to get controllers for this thing?

thanks

Dylan

does anyone know how to connect them to the video input on the lcd tv i have? i don't get anything but a blue screen when i try it

Just to get you started, it doesn't connect to that video input. It connects to the RF jack (the old style screw in connector). If you don't have the original switch box then you'll need an adapter to convert the plug.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2123169

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2103471

After hooking that up, tune the TV to either channel 2,3, or 4 (it'll be one of those).

Here's a more detailed explanation:

http://www.atariage.com/howto/connect.html

thanks!

i will give that a shot

I'm very curois about these two boards i found with the other games...

at first i thought they were just extra parts of something but i looked and the edge looks just like one of the edges of the other games. i guess it's a bare board without the case? and it has a little white sticker that says "jr 87". on top of one of the 'chips'. the other one doesn't have a white sticker... i'd like to at least know which games they are. is there a way to tell by looking at it

i would try it but i've heard that if you plug boards into these old systems backwards you could kill them.

i asked my dad ( he was into electronics) but he doesn't remember...

will it power on without the joysticks?

will it power on without the joysticks?

Yes. You just can't play the games without a controller :) Any Atari 2600 stick will work, you will only have the one fire button though. Sega Genesis controllers will also work - the B button is the primary fire button, and the other buttons won't work. Sega Master system controllers will also work - but I forget if both buttons work or not.

-Ian

I'm very curois about these two boards i found with the other games...

at first i thought they were just extra parts of something but i looked and the edge looks just like one of the edges of the other games. i guess it's a bare board without the case? and it has a little white sticker that says "jr 87". on top of one of the 'chips'. the other one doesn't have a white sticker... i'd like to at least know which games they are. is there a way to tell by looking at it

i would try it but i've heard that if you plug boards into these old systems backwards you could kill them.

They could just be game carts without their cases, or they could be something else. Post pictures of them, and we can probably identify them. I haven't worked as much with the 7800, but on the 2600, the ROM chip faces the back of the console (where the wires connect), and the solder side faces you. I'm almost positive that it's the same for the 7800, but do check first :)

-Ian

thanks!

here are the pictures, as requested... sorry for the bad quality, my phone doesn't take the best pics lol

i'll try them once i have found some controllers. so the black chips face the back? ok

They seem to be games without cases. Let us know what is on them :)

Edit:

I looked closer at the picture of the board with the sticker on it. That chip seems to be socketed... Is it ceramic?

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

i dont know what you mean by ceramic?

after doing some searching here, i found that theres something called a flashback 2 that uses the same joystick as this thing

i'll be looking for one this weekend.

thanks

Ceramic could mean eprom so it could be a proto or someones pirate copy. It's hard to tell from the pic though what kind of chip it is. Donkey Kong Jr has a copyright of 1988 so maybe it is a proto or copy of it. But I think that is a cart with RAM and Donkey Kong Jr doesn't need any extra RAM.

after doing some searching here, i found that theres something called a flashback 2 that uses the same joystick as this thing

thanks

Ceramic could mean eprom so it could be a proto or someones pirate copy. It's hard to tell from the pic though what kind of chip it is. Donkey Kong Jr has a copyright of 1988 so maybe it is a proto or copy of it. But I think that is a cart with RAM and Donkey Kong Jr doesn't need any extra RAM.

Jr Pacman? :lust:

thanks

Jr Pacman? :lust:

Yea right. It's obviously just a Donkey Kong Jr. No big deal.

Allan

Those joysticks only have 1 button, some games use 2.

If you only need 1 button though, then you can just as easily use a Sega Genesis controller.

Those joysticks only have 1 button, some games use 2.

If you only need 1 button though, then you can just as easily use a Sega Genesis controller.

You should find mega atari 7800 joysticks on EBAY!!! as far as those carts the chips face the tv meaning plugged in the solder side faces you and the label end parts side faces the back of unit so this should help ill show a pic of a /|\ cart w out shell no its not a 7800 it just looks like a cool one it has 4 joystick plugs but the extra two do nothing!! I tried to use both paddles and joysticks and switch but does nothing you still have the 1st two as p1 p2 p3 p4 plugs are fake and do nothing as far as i can tell anyway the sears arcade II acts just like a normal 2600 exept it takes a normal 9v power pack instead of a special phono plug 9v power pack SO IM using a packardbell(smuckardbell) power pack! from some speakers..

you sould beable to just use rca to f connector and hook to lcd w ch3 in unless it dont have old school tuner then just pick up a vcr at good will that would be cheaper than buying a rf modulator if youre lucky the vcr might even rewind!!... anyway good luck keep those big carts they look specail..

now that i remember for i sold the 32 in one cart on ebay i think it might be one of those!!! try it when you turn it off and back on it changes games.. good luck..

i hope you find some 7800 joysticks on ebay! .

oh before i forget i better show a pic of my homebrew asteroids hack i burned to a eeprom I cant seem to burn more games but the brown tape is covering the erase hole so the sun dont erase my eeprom!! i called the game crockrocks it has ®'s and aw's as the big rocks.. i used hackomatic to modify it then one day i got lucky and figured out how to burn a eeprom I havent been so lucky and tried a nother game on a blank eeprom and i got same asteriods so for now i give up on burner I will still try . the flashback II is cool to I already gutted a old non working 2600 and used the case for a flashback II mod for to accept carts the b/w switch selects between built in flashback II games and the color postion selects the cart hole i just scratched all traces off the original broken 2600 i robbed chips out of to fix the arcade II sears so i t worked! then i soldered the mod to the cart hole connector then i also scratched the 5v line off the board so i turned on using the 7805(340t) 5v voltage regulator and the big cap and the power switch so when you turn it on the power goes into the flashback pcb and not to the old pcb original broke 2600 still in case and since the flashback II has video and audio out i just used the ch3 switch on the back its a 4 switcher w mini a/b ch3 ch4 switches in back I used ch3 ch4 switch for color/bw needed in flashback II adventure to cheat and see invisible walls in adventure II . here is picture of my asteroid hack and a nother stella windows snap so you can actually see the intro and game w out scan problems cause of camera and my tv tv

post-13028-1237040448_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1237041687_thumb.jpg

post-13028-1237041711_thumb.jpg

Edited by awace

Hello, new here!

We were cleaning out the attic last weekend, and my dad pulled a box out that had a 7800 and a few games... some of them seem to have no plastic covers on them...

i did a google search for 7800, and it led me here.

there were 6 games, Mrs pacman, joust, robotron, galaga, and two that just look like green boards... not even sure if they really go with this unit.

it looks like there is a plug for it, but I can't find any controllers

are any of these worth anything?

does anyone know where to get controllers for this thing?

thanks

Dylan

That's pretty cool, who did it originally belong to, your dad?

thanks

the white ceramic ones are just old probably nuke proof too cause thats all that was around in the 80's w all the arcade games like space invaders and pacman and the classics needing roms !!! plus when something new comes out they usually use roms not proms cuase they cant cause the proms need to be burned then burned in in oven to make them permanant then they just make roms not eeproms witch have the erase window I finnaly got the burner to take a file in hex using bin2hex it said file done then i tried to burn it but and it even verified but when i tested it it came upo as asteroids then played for 6 seconds then locked up I swear i burned that hangly man hack i got here on atariage but I think I dont have a clue on how to erase the whole memmory in the burner witch means it probably was still in some of the burners memmory witch means the bank switch found partial asteroids from the burn and booted it the problem is I dont have a clue mabie ill just trade the burner in for a new xp version witch would be so mutch easyer to work. anyway face the chips twords the back of the atari and the solder side facing you if you tilt game towrds you then chip side up . mabie those are 5200 carts i cant remember just look on ebay completed items for 5200 carts parts mabie you would find some . as far as the 7800 its worth keeping cause its automaticly reverse compatible to the 2600 w out mods ...

thanks everyone!

yes, this unit did belong to my dad. he helped me get it connected to another tv we had here, and i was able to scrounge up a sega genesis controller! (thanks Ian!)

I plugged the two carts in, and the one without the sticker was (i think) jinks (never heard of it), and the one with the sticker said jr pacman. was this an arcade game? I've seen mrs pac-man, but i've never heard of this one.

to kenfused: you said that jr pacman was not released for the 5200 (i guess that's a different system)... but could it have come out for this one? are you sure it was this game? i'll ask my father where he bought it from when he gets home from work.

thanks guys! i'm going to look for more games for this system - i actually like it!

Dylan

ok - did a little searching, and found jr pacman. it looks like a 'scrolling' maze is only in this game? the one i have here does this as well, and they look very similar.

i called my dad at work, and he said that he doesn't really remember where he got it, but he used to know someone who worked for a computer company back then.

I plugged the two carts in, and the one without the sticker was (i think) jinks (never heard of it), and the one with the sticker said jr pacman. was this an arcade game? I've seen mrs pac-man, but i've never heard of this one.

:-o :lust: Yes, Jr pacman was an arcade game but came out for the 2600 also. Did anyone in your family/anyone you know work at atari? No one has ever seen a 7800 version of Jr. Pacman before and it should be dumped so it can preserved from bit rot.

Can you take pictures of the gameplay for us?

@allan and Kenfused, I think you owe me an apology :P

Since the 7800 also plays 2600 it could just be the 2600 version of jr.

That is a 7800 board, plus 2600 games never used that much extra RAM.

Edited by Wickeycolumbus