IGNORED

Hi! question about the Atari - Jr. Pac-Man discovered!

FrauBlucha

Using a HEX editor on this ROM I found the following in the code.....

RPD©2009

I found that too, at offset $1FF81. I just assumed this was part of the .A78 rom image format, since the first 128 bytes of the file are header data, I figured that the tail end of the file could be something similar as well. But, looking again, the entire file is 0x2007F bytes long, and minus the first 128 bytes, it comes out to a nice even 0x20000 bytes...

What I don't understand is why it crashes at the end of one level here, but not on the video Al made. If this is an April Fool's joke, then you'd think they'd have started with a good dump.

-Ian

CRAP!!!

I forgot all about that!!!! :x

I even went through the trouble to replace the monster shapes with Atari's, so nobody would identify mine. :(

This was the next bin to be posted; it works (you can complete levels now), but watch what happens when you press 'pause'.

I'll post the current version when I get home tonight.

BTW, the Left difficulty switch changes the number of starting lives (A=3, B=5) and the right difficulty switch controls the player speed (A=Normal, B=Fast)

Bob

JRPAC_78.A78

• Like 1

Using a HEX editor on this ROM I found the following in the code.....

RPD©2009

I found that too, at offset $1FF81. I just assumed this was part of the .A78 rom image format, since the first 128 bytes of the file are header data, I figured that the tail end of the file could be something similar as well. But, looking again, the entire file is 0x2007F bytes long, and minus the first 128 bytes, it comes out to a nice even 0x20000 bytes...

What I don't understand is why it crashes at the end of one level here, but not on the video Al made. If this is an April Fool's joke, then you'd think they'd have started with a good dump.

-Ian

Maybe they didn't want to post a fully functioning version, in hopes that people will buy the full version on Cart?

Kinda like Kenfused posted the "demo" version of Beef Drop that is missing the extra levels.

Edited by Underball

CRAP!!!

I even went through the trouble to replace the monster shapes with Atari's, so nobody would identify mine. :(

The truth comes out!

Well, you really did have us going there. That was one elaborate prank... what I don't get is why the ROM image is so huge, but has great big gaping holes in it. Everything from $7F to $1887F (or $0 - $18800, without the header) is just zeroes.

-Ian

The 'non-working' one was only done to throw people off. I just switched banks to an empty one upon clearing the screen.

I was originally going to post what I had done when I first finished the gameplay part but the four people that knew about it told me to use it as an April Fool's gag (and no, I'm not telling who they were).

This is actually a 32K Rom with 8K RAM. None of the emulators support this setup, so I had to 'pad' the rom to be like 'Plutos' and 'Sirius' (they are both 128K), because we knew those were supported.

Bob (Dylan) ;)

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

You chucklehead!!! You blew it! That's it, no more secret 7800 source code for you! You're cut off (well, at least until the next game ;-)

Curt

CRAP!!!

This was the next bin to be posted; it works (you can complete levels now), but watch what happens when you press 'pause'.

I'll post the current version when I get home tonight.

BTW, the Left difficulty switch changes the number of starting lives (A=3, B=5) and the right difficulty switch controls the player speed (A=Normal, B=Fast)

Bob

The 'non-working' one was only done to throw people off. I just switched banks to an empty one upon clearing the screen.

I was originally going to post what I had done when I first finished the gameplay part but the four people that knew about it told me to use it as an April Fool's gag (and no, I'm not telling who they were).

This is actually a 32K Rom with 8K RAM. None of the emulators support this setup, so I had to 'pad' the rom to be like 'Plutos' and 'Sirius' (they are both 128K), because we knew those were supported.

Bob (Dylan) ;)

So is this a WIP rom, or is it close to final?

it looks AWESOME by the way.

Too bad its not real :(

I started doubting the authenticity when I looked at his profile and saw that the times he was last seen was kept private (bushie was like that too), but then Al released the video, and I believed it again.

I'm still very happy though, its a very good game. No wonder Dylan never answered my PMs about purchasing it :lol:

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

Maybe they didn't want to post a fully functioning version, in hopes that people will buy the full version on Cart?

Bob has never done that in the past. I don't know why he'd start now.

When I posted that, it wasn't clear it was Bob. Yeah, I've always appreciated his generosity. that's why I bought the Pac-Man Collection cart.

I'll buy this one once it's available on cart as well.

WOW!

Okay, I was fooled. This morning when it crashed, conspiracy theories started to run through my head, but I kept thinking about the video and figured that really meant it was legit!

Having Al post the video was a great part of the plan.

Well done (both on the game and the gag).