IGNORED

Hi! question about the Atari - Jr. Pac-Man discovered!

FrauBlucha

It keeps locking up for me when I clear the first level. I hope this is just an issue for me and not anyone else.

I was able to play past the first level with the actual board on a real 7800 (which I did in the video I posted earlier)..

..Al

I posted some new shots above, so did someone else. I'll try to get past level 1 again now.

Locked up for me also after the first level using MacMess. It played much faster than the arcade version as was also stated earlier.

Can anyone confirm that it plays better in ProSystem?

Yeah, it plays fine for me now... in ProSystem (newest) on XP. Oh, I mean speedwise... it still locks up at end of first level for me. Still trying, but I think there's an emulator incompatibility going on here... at least for me. I'm not bummed out, this is still awesome, don't mean to bring down a good find, this is temporary or isolated, I'm sure.

Edited by Mirage1972

Locked up for me also after the first level using MacMess. It played much faster than the arcade version as was also stated earlier.

Can anyone confirm that it plays better in ProSystem?

If you're taking screenshots with MacMESS, it's not a good idea since it's using the outdated pallet file.

Edited by Bakasama

Hmmm... I played it on ProSystem, and it crashes after clearing the first board. It seems to be more difficult than the arcade version, however... the ghosts seem to be more aggressive, especially the red one caught up to me multiple times.

As for the game itself, it seems to be adapted pretty well, but all the game action isn't as fluid as in the arcade, which can be contributed to multiple factors:

- The resolution of the 7800 is lower (192x160 vs. 288x224), and the scrolling apparently also only can be done in full pixel steps (unlike on the C-64 where even if you used the multicolor mode, you still could do fine scrolling in the full 320 column granularity)

- The scrolling has got a simpler logic. In the arcade it speeds up slowly when Jr. Pac-Man exceeds the scrolling boundary, here it's up to full speed instantly

Edited by Kurt_Woloch

Hmmm... I played it on ProSystem, and it crashes after clearing the first board. It seems to be more difficult than the arcade version, however... the ghosts seem to be more aggressive, especially the red one caught up to me multiple times.

This is disturbing, it should not be crashing--at least it doesn't do this on real hardware. Will have to see if perhaps the dump I made is bad. What happens when it crashes? I'm going to have to finally install MacMESS and see what happens..

..Al

This is disturbing, it should not be crashing--at least it doesn't do this on real hardware. Will have to see if perhaps the dump I made is bad. What happens when it crashes? I'm going to have to finally install MacMESS and see what happens..

..Al

This is the crash (sorry, I was still in big screen mode, and don't have the patience to play through again when I know the outcome!):

post-16769-1238597298_thumb.jpg

..Al

The board flashes like normal, then the rest of the screen goes black except for Jr. Pac and the 4 ghosts, frozen in place.

I've tried every possible Prosystem ROM database option, and nothing fixes it.

I'm not sure it this is a bad dump, or if it's because emulation just isn't there yet.

This is kind of what I feared with the board being sent back without the rom being properly tested.

This is what happens... the maze disappears, but the ghosts stay on screen. After that point, the game doesn't go on, and it also can't be restarted by pressing RESET (F2).

JRPAC_78_00.bmp

..Al

This is kind of what I feared with the board being sent back without the rom being properly tested.

I haven't actually sent the board back yet. I need to scan it for the database entry here (and I'm sure Tempest will want the images as well).

..Al

whew.

Maybe then it is a bad dump, or these emulators need an overdump to work properly or something.

thanks!

here are the pictures, as requested... sorry for the bad quality, my phone doesn't take the best pics lol

i'll try them once i have found some controllers. so the black chips face the back? ok

From the image it looks like a Jinks board (C300565) with W1 open and W2 through W6 closed. If that is the case it should be pretty easy to put on a cart to test the bin.

-Jeff

Anyone find the April Fool's joke yet?

EDIT: I havent even gotten a chance to look. BUt piece the whole thing together, and there's a joke here somewhere.

Mind you AA does have the best damn April Fool's jokes on the planet :D

Edited by Inky

April fools or no April fools... I can't believe I missed this thread until today. I will fire this up on my CC2 tonight. Anyone know the menu.txt settings? Otherwise I'll experiment and post them afterwords...

You'll have to strip the a78 header to get it to work on a CC2.

It uses the same scheme as Jinks.

That is very cool! At first, I thought it was an April Fools Joke but then I thought "Would they put an April Fools Joke up on the main page???"

I played through the first board and its quite awesome! It was mentioned earlier that the intermissions are missing...is it possible that they could be put into the game? I have no programming ability whatsoever, but I was curious if it could be done?

Hi there,

I don't know if this is a joke or not. If it isn't or if it is...this is GREAT!!! I haven't played it much yet but this is GREAT! Thanks for sharing with the community.

Now if we could just get Good Luck Charlie Brown :roll:

Edited by DEBRO