IGNORED

Joysticks for Atari800Win PLus emulator - question.

atx4us

Does anyone know of a way to add REAL joysticks to the PC for use with the Atari800Win PLus emu? - Thanks.

You can use the parallel to joystick cable on my website in reverse. I tested it out. You can reprogram the parallel port for bi-directional mode and read in the directions and trigger lines. Paddles won't work though and I never wrote a windows driver to use with other applications, but here's the code (if you know your 80x86 assembly):

Mov DX,378h ;or whatever port you LPT port is at

Mov AL,24h

Add DX,2

OUT DX,AL ;set to input mode

Sub DX,2

IN AL,DX ;Now AL contains value of joystick directions (same like PORTA) and trigger in bit 4.

Does anyone know of a way to add REAL joysticks to the PC for use with the Atari800Win PLus emu? - Thanks.

I use the PPJoy driver along with a 25 pin parallel to 9 pin adapter - diagram in attachment:Joystick_wiring_diagram___Excel_file___rename_to_.XLS.txt

Pictured hardware to create the adapter ($3-$4 at local electronics store) - no soldering!

Another nice thing about using these parts are the RJ45 connectors - I just add a network patch cable (of any length) to complete the package.

post-11281-1236434949_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone who responded to my joystick question. For all the mentioned suggestions, will Atari800Win_Plus automatically recognize the joystick presence or do I need to set some configuration settings? Also, how would you connect more than one joystick?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my joystick question. For all the mentioned suggestions, will Atari800Win_Plus automatically recognize the joystick presence or do I need to set some configuration settings? Also, how would you connect more than one joystick?

Input->Joysticks->Select from list

With my solution, just add another parallel port. I purchased this one and attached a second parallel port to the connector on it.

• 1 month later...

I use the PPJoy driver along with a 25 pin parallel to 9 pin adapter - diagram in attachment:Joystick_wiring_diagram___Excel_file___rename_to_.XLS.txt

Pictured hardware to create the adapter ($3-$4 at local electronics store) - no soldering!

Another nice thing about using these parts are the RJ45 connectors - I just add a network patch cable (of any length) to complete the package.

post-11281-1236434949_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking of making a couple of these adapters - Please can you tell me more about the hardware shown in the picture as I can only seem to find the types that need soldering :?: Thanks

I picked up a din-9 to USB adapter from raphnet and use the old 2600 joystick on the PC. Still trying to track down my favorite stick, a Kraft.

No additional drivers are needed with this setup.

I ended up buying just the populated board, and made a housing out of a plastic Easter egg, with USB cable coming out of one end, and a din-9 attached to the other.

I'm thinking of making a couple of these adapters - Please can you tell me more about the hardware shown in the picture as I can only seem to find the types that need soldering Thanks

Try Farnell. I used to use these for building custom serial convertors to get various devices to talk to terminal servers and DTCs years ago. Hours spent with port specs and a breakout box. Actually I bet I have a load in a box at work somewhere:roll:

Edited by spookt

I'm thinking of making a couple of these adapters - Please can you tell me more about the hardware shown in the picture as I can only seem to find the types that need soldering :?: Thanks

What you need are a DB25 Male to RJ45 female adaptor and a DB9 Male to RJ45 adaptor. Make sure you specify "quick connect". They should be $2-$3 each. You'll need a normal network patch cable as well to connect them - I've used 3', 6' and 12' without any issues.

I purchased mine from a local electronics retailer called Sayal I'm pretty sure you can buy through their website, their part numbers/descriptions are below:

SKU................PartNumber........Description

214020...........1175...................MODULAR ADAPTER DB9M/RJ45 8P8C

217127...........ADD-1775-Z........MODULAR ADAPTER DB25M/RJ45 8P8C

If you're really stuck, send me a PM and I can mail you some (at cost)

What you need are a DB25 Male to RJ45 female adaptor and a DB9 Male to RJ45 adaptor. Make sure you specify "quick connect". They should be $2-$3 each. You'll need a normal network patch cable as well to connect them - I've used 3', 6' and 12' without any issues.

I purchased mine from a local electronics retailer called Sayal I'm pretty sure you can buy through their website, their part numbers/descriptions are below:

It's been a little while since I posted this topic and I investigated some of the posted suggestions. Please see my comments below.

1) Speedlink Competition Pro USB - I had to purchase these from Europe and it took a while to arrive. Make sure that it's made by Speedlink. There are very low quality copies out there. The Speedlink joystick is very well made, no driver installation w/Windows XP required, and comes with a CD full of 180+ Amiga games & emulator which I have no use for. Overall, I think it's a great joystick. I'm a big fan of Pacman. So, I need a joystick that can control the game without hestitation around the corners for proper timing or for quick manuevers to get away. Unfortunately, this joystick does not fill the need for playing Pacman because the Pacman would stick when going around the corners. I would have to return the joystick back to the center before I can change direction. I also think that the response is a little sluggish. This may not be a problem depending on which game you're playing with it. The switchable autofire button definitely a plus with shoot-em up games.

2) Ultimarc IPAC w/USB interface - I also had to order this board from Europe and it took a while to arrive, too. This is the deluxe controller! After wiring this board up to the DB-9 connectors, I can use the standard Atari joysticks with the PC. No driver installation is required for Windows XP. It also comes with software to configure the interface board to any key assignment. I give this interface two thumbs up! I use a WICO Commander joystick with it and the Pacman playing is very good. The response is quick and smooth.

3) Stelladapter - I purchased it from this website. I thought the $40 price tag is a little too high. But, I also wanted to support my favorite website! Again, no driver installation is required with Windows XP. The response is good but is still a little hesitant for smooth Pacman playing. It also supports Atari Paddle controllers, cool. I tried other games with it and overall it works well.

I hope that this info is helpful for those who are still looking for a joystick solution.

• 5 months later...

I finally got round to making up a couple of adapters to use with the PPJoy driver; one for a present. I bought the DB25-RJ45 and DB9-RJ45 adapters from CableCity.co.uk and they arrived the next day. Cost approx £10 per set including recorded postage. I already had a standard RJ45 cable.

After a bit of working out which coloured cable was attached to which pin on the RJ45 plugs with the aid of a multimeter, I made two sets up and both worked first time! Very pleased with this and no soldering 8) well apart from fixing the joystick again but that's another story :D

If anyone orders any I can post the pins/colours. Tested on Atari800win+ running on a Windows XP PC with a parallel port! I sent the ppjoy creator an email as he said he hadn't had much support, the driver installed without any issues.

I must admit I felt a bit of a traitor playing on the PC rather than my 130XE |:)

Ahem...

http://www.legacyengineer.com/storefront

Keep an eye out around Oct 15th, special edition Atari 800 30th anniversary limited run version will be released for $24.99

Curt

• 11 months later...

It's been a little while since I posted this topic and I investigated some of the posted suggestions. Please see my comments below.

1) Speedlink Competition Pro USB - I had to purchase these from Europe and it took a while to arrive. Make sure that it's made by Speedlink. There are very low quality copies out there. The Speedlink joystick is very well made, no driver installation w/Windows XP required, and comes with a CD full of 180+ Amiga games & emulator which I have no use for. Overall, I think it's a great joystick. I'm a big fan of Pacman. So, I need a joystick that can control the game without hestitation around the corners for proper timing or for quick manuevers to get away. Unfortunately, this joystick does not fill the need for playing Pacman because the Pacman would stick when going around the corners. I would have to return the joystick back to the center before I can change direction. I also think that the response is a little sluggish. This may not be a problem depending on which game you're playing with it. The switchable autofire button definitely a plus with shoot-em up games.

2) Ultimarc IPAC w/USB interface - I also had to order this board from Europe and it took a while to arrive, too. This is the deluxe controller! After wiring this board up to the DB-9 connectors, I can use the standard Atari joysticks with the PC. No driver installation is required for Windows XP. It also comes with software to configure the interface board to any key assignment. I give this interface two thumbs up! I use a WICO Commander joystick with it and the Pacman playing is very good. The response is quick and smooth.

3) Stelladapter - I purchased it from this website. I thought the $40 price tag is a little too high. But, I also wanted to support my favorite website! Again, no driver installation is required with Windows XP. The response is good but is still a little hesitant for smooth Pacman playing. It also supports Atari Paddle controllers, cool. I tried other games with it and overall it works well.

I hope that this info is helpful for those who are still looking for a joystick solution.

One more update:

I've been using the Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for most of my joystick needs. The Ultimarc IPAC w/USB interface & the WICO Commander joystick are still my best joystick solution for the quickest & smoothest response in games with critical timing such as Pacman.

Edited by atx4us

I picked up a din-9 to USB adapter from raphnet and use the old 2600 joystick on the PC. Still trying to track down my favorite stick, a Kraft.

No additional drivers are needed with this setup.

I ended up buying just the populated board, and made a housing out of a plastic Easter egg, with USB cable coming out of one end, and a din-9 attached to the other.

I started to build one of these interfaces from scratch but put the project aside when I realized I couldn't squeeze all the parts into the base of my old Competition Pro Joystick.

I've been meaning to buy some DB9 connectors but also have the dilemma of what to put the interface in. I thought about using some scrap PVC pipe but since I don't do plumbing I don't have any scrap pieces.

-Steve