IGNORED

What's everyone's thoughs on flea markets?

Around here, the two major indoor fleas markets pretty much suck for games. They're the kind with mini businesses inside. Each of them has a game shop, and anything older than the last generation is priced in the stratosphere. The newest one, Golden Goose, currently has no game shop but some of the vendors have a couple games here and there. Golden Goose features an excellent movie shop and a shop with several thousand vinyl records.

That leaves Mary's. I dunno how it is at 6AM, but if you get there at the crack of noon you usually find nothing older than PS2. It's still a cool atmosphere, though, and worth the trip for shows, a burger, and some sun if you're not doing anything that weekend.

theres only two guys at my flea market who have games one guy charges more then ebay prices he dosn't have any atari stuff oldest he has is nes but everything is just so expensive and the other guy he will either have something good or sometimes he will have nothing but I go there at like 9am maby I should wake up earlier....

Its the same all over the world - what it comes down to is this - many in the general public dont know the value of what they have which is why you'll see them selling Super Mario and Zelda games for more money than some rarer lesser titles - likewise you'll have a family "expert" telling them that this and that is rare and therefore they'll overprice.

Its hit and miss - all you can do is go in armed with as much research as you can and cross your fingers .

That's pretty much it

Flea markets may have better prices, but there's no guarantee you'll find what you're looking for or even ANYTHING Atari related.

Once I bought two joystick controllers, not the original CX-40 but third-party... both the same and both for some reason had a problem moving right (didn't register it well), so that made me think what the previous owner of these joysticks may have played where you're pressing right that much... ;) Maybe Pitfall? ^^

my local flea market only has white supremacists. seriously.

haven't been there in awhile but i saw them last time. they had a table full of "vintage" klan and nazi memerobilia.

in in central nj, not the deep south.

go figure.

ALOT are starting with the usual"but it sells for (enter significantly larger amount here) at EBAY" :ponder: I have to remind them that this is a FLEA MARKET not EBAY!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Rik

It depends sometimes. The flea market around here has a guy dedicated to games, and another where you can find all SORTS of classic computing stuff, cartridges, systems, you name it.

The game guy can sometimes have good deals, but I've known him before he even set up shop there, and he used to have his own game exchange type store, and he was WAY overpriced then, and still is.

• 2 weeks later...
You scope out Ebay.

You scope out pawn shops.

You scope out Goodwill.

You scope out flea markets.

Ebay: Hit and mostly miss. Rare to get something by when the whole planet is watching.

Pawn shops: Suck. Feel awkward walking in--like I need a gun. Overpriced. No help.

Goodwill/Salvation Army: Starting to get pissed at these guys. 4 switch Atari $150, 2600 Pitfall $29.99 (!!!!!!!!), Xbox (first) $79.99, PS1's $39.99. With the Pitfall, I told the lady helping me (because they were in the locked glass!), "You know these are overpriced." Really? I don't price them. How much should they be? Fifty cents.

Salvation Army wants to charge a standard $2.50 fee for CDs. Or should I say, anything "CD shaped." I found a 5 CD-Rom PC game (can't remember title, still mad). I took me forever, but I pieced the set from their pile of crap. It all fit in the 5-CD holder nice and neat. $2.50 would be a good deal. $12.50. What, why? 5 x $2.50. But it's a complete set. Sorry. Ebay had it for $3.

Discovered the Flea Market today. I went much earlier after a disappointing noon walk through the same one last month. Made off with $50 of cool stuff. No "steals", but I like what I got. NES with 4 standard games and the plug-n-play Ms. Pac-Man was $20 (OK, that was cool). And several NES games for about $1 each. F-Zero for SNES $1.

So my main question: I bought about 3 blank carts (Intellivision Utopia, 2600 Stampede, 2600 Combat). Why? $1 each. I was hoping for a steal (really wanted the Intellivision to be Diner or Mud Buggies (yeah, right). So how many of you buy blank carts hoping for the rare game or demo game? $1 each is good, but how many Combats do you buy before you say, enough is enough?

Edited by SnapCraft

Salvation Army wants to charge a standard $2.50 fee for CDs. Or should I say, anything "CD shaped." I found a 5 CD-Rom PC game (can't remember title, still mad). I took me forever, but I pieced the set from their pile of crap. It all fit in the 5-CD holder nice and neat. $2.50 would be a good deal. $12.50. What, why? 5 x $2.50. But it's a complete set. Sorry. Ebay had it for $3.

That happened to me recently: It was the boxed need for speed PC pack with 5 discs priced at $2.99. I bring it to the counter and the lady opens the box, counts the CD's and rings it up as $14.95 :roll:

She says its because cd's are 2.99 each. But the box says $2.99, I argue. She just says nope and walks away. Even the other girl working the counter said I was right but since the old hag was her boss there was nothing she could do. This is a Bible's for Missions thrift store that is quickly turning into a liquidation center. Everytime I'm in there they have pallets of computers, tools, air conditioners, appliances - all overpriced.

They're making baby Jebus cry.

I love flea markets, I've found some great finds at flea markets over the years, my favorite find was Chrono Trigger MIB complete for $10 (even still had the plastic wrap over the box, but it was opened), just recently went and sold it for $65.

It goes to show, always scope out your local flea market. I always find a good amount of video game stuff at the flea markets that I frequent.

If anyone remembers a thrift store named Savers(I only knew of 3 in Central Florida before they closed) I picked up a top load NES with dogbone controller and the power supply for 19.99 and ebayed it and got 92.00 for it. The other items I kept are:

Video Games

Paper Mario 75 cents

Goldeneye 75 cents

Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure 9.99 (Traded in for a Sega Sports Dreamcast at Play N Trade)

Original Gameboy 4.99

Gameboy Pocket with Tetris still in it 4.99

LP's

Bob Newhart: The Button-Down Mind Strikes Back 1.00

Behind The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart 1.00

Original price stickers still on them. 2.99 each. LOL

Now considering this thread says flea markets I consider thrift stores as indoor flea markets with set prices.

Ive scored a lot of good stuff but not video game or collectible in nature at them when they were open. I havent been to a flea in years since most of what I collect friends have now.

Webbs Antiques in Winter Garden,FL had a lot of nice comic deals but no video games. Swamp Thing No.1 VF for 10.00 Mr. Monster 1&2 8.00 for both.

Yeah,why are they referred to as "FLEA MARKETS"is it because fleas infest the sometimes old rotten items?.If thats the case should be called'COCKROACH MARKET".But i wouldnt discount the FLEAS though,especially the old smelly couches I've seen,YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIKES!

Edited by Rik

Actually, I think it's more in terms of how it acts, "flea markets" are useually a one day a week (or month, or more) thing, not a true day to day business like many of the used junk stores I also like to frequent.

Kinda er...like fleas, there for a second and gone in a flash :P

I agree witht he cockroach market though, some of that shit I just stuff into black bags and let sit out a day befor bringing it in (if not heat sensitive) to kill the little bastards befor they get into my house.

There's a little hole in the wall place that I guess classifies as a flea market here. Its indoors and looks like a converted old grocery store but very small. The vendors seem to change on a regular basis. I spent $15 on a Vader with a dozen or so games and the remote joysticks. She also had a bunch of NES games at $3 each but nothing special. She told me she'd be gone on Saturday so it seems like people just rent the tables and disappear once they clear out their stuff. Not really a business for them I guess.

The cashier was this old lady who literally had only one tooth in her mouth. Just gorgeous. :lust:

Edited by AtariLeaf

I spent $15 on a Vader with a dozen or so games and the remote joysticks. She also had a bunch of NES games at $3 each but nothing special.

What gets me is, why does Ebay have such a bad rep? Most deals at a flea market can be covered through Ebay (maybe even cheaper through bulk purchases). The only drawback is shipping. The flea market's no tax, no shipping system is nice. However, you have to be extremely lucky do get a steal. Mostly I'm going in to buy titles I know I'd probably like, otherwise it's too stressful -- "Damn, is that a valuable title or not?" If you buy all these gambles on a whim, they add up pretty quickly.

To benefit at a flea market you either need to be an expert in video games through PSOne/PS2 (plentiful) & Dreamcast or have a iPhone so you can check Ebay. I'm a "expert" through 3DO. Forget Genesis & SNES and beyond. Are you kidding? Have you seen all the titles? I just go for the RPGs and anything with the word "Mario" or "Contra" in it (if they are under $3). :D

Yep.Gotta watch for the bugs,mainly roaches when bringing anything home from the thrift or flea market.As soon as i bring any console home,i take it apart OUTSIDE if the weather is nice,or IMMEDIATELY over the sink while taking apart before i soak the casings in hot soapy water.The motherboard i inspect,blow out dust while outside and see if critters come out.Sounds EXTREME i know, but when i didnt do this a while back,i had roaches running across me while playing my games on the carpet,right after bringing something new home from the markets.The same goes for those grocery store boxes we get when you move,for free,great,but,those boxes are usually infested with roach eggs.Better to buy new ones from a supplier,not that expensive.Cheaper than the cost of fumigating a house for pests.Its possible for game carts to be home to creepy crawlys also,not as bad as consoles though,i just blow air into them.

Edited by Rik

When going to flea markets for games I suggest looking through the sections that just sell various things. Those are the ones that you want since they may only have a game or two but they don't really know what they are worth. So they sell them for way cheap or for a set price. The sellers that ONLY sell games in flea markets are generally fail. Because they are charging game store/ebay prices. Some people are tricked by those people and think they are getting a good deal just because they are at a flea market.

When going to flea markets for games I suggest looking through the sections that just sell various things. Those are the ones that you want since they may only have a game or two but they don't really know what they are worth. So they sell them for way cheap or for a set price. The sellers that ONLY sell games in flea markets are generally fail. Because they are charging game store/ebay prices. Some people are tricked by those people and think they are getting a good deal just because they are at a flea market.

Absolutely true. I've seen vendors who sell classic games literally have the same consoles and games FOR YEARS. Yet they will NEVER budge on their price. Maybe its a pride thing, I don't know. I'll go a few booths down and the guy with a bunch of books, jewellry and a few odd games has them priced very reasonable.

ebay - I've bought new items from ebay stores, but I've never bought anything used off of ebay. Too many overpriced items, too many scamers and I loath the ebay/paypal monopoly.

Flea Markets - I'm with everyone else on this. You can get great deals from the part time, traveling vendors. The full time permanent "stores" are way overpriced.

Garage/yard sales - These are really hit and miss. You really need to devote a full morning going to these things. But I've picked up some awsome deals that keep me coming back!

Thrift Stores - No deals at these places. The best items are hard to find and Goodwill has their own auction site. The Salvation Army has some good stores in the Detroit area for everything but video games. And the private thrifts rarely carry anything I'm interested in.

Pawn Shops - I shop a lot at Gamestop (many places require them to get a pawn license), but not at the hardcore places. I used to work with people who were pawn customers (mostly sellers). I stay away from that crowd now that I'm older! ;)

I love craigslist. You need to know how to sort through all of the crap to find deals, but they are there. And you get to actually check out the stuff before giving any money. I've never bought any high priced items from craigslist though. I'm leary of carrying several hundred dollars in cash at any one time. I think the most expensive item I've bought off of craigslist was $200.