IGNORED

New 80 Column E: Handler...

Cybernoid

Here is the beta version of my new E: handler. It is something I am working on for another Atari project, but it is pretty nice stand-alone...(ok, so I am biased... :) )

The keys are:

CTRL-SHIFT-3 = change background HUE

CTRL-SHIFT-4 = change foreground Brightness

CTRL-SHIFT-5 = change background Brightness

CTRL-SHIFT-A = switch between ATASCII and ANSI modes

I put my ANSI processing code into the E: handler, so you can now switch into ANSI mode and read msdos/unix text files as well as ansi graphics directly from the Atari.

Still some work to do... most of the code runs from extended bank 3. I also need to fix the character insertion.

post-4398-1236720662_thumb.png

ATASCII Mode

post-4398-1236720674_thumb.png

ANSI Mode

FLASHE_BW130A.zip

Looks great! Had some problems on my setup though...

I loaded ATR via APE....booted (holding down option) and got a nice looking green screen. Noticed that there was a cursor above the D1: prompt as well as next to it in the normal typing position. DIR produced a partial listing, sort of messed up looking, and then a ERROR 133. Tried several times, and got variations of this same behavior and what seemed like some hangs.

Yeah...its a stock NTSC 130xe. I don't know what else might be going on...i'll try with some different hardware. I use APE for the ATR and so forth but that shouldnt be an issue. Then again, this is the same machine with the bum timer 4 interrupt so maybe its got other issues. I will check tomorrow with other hardware and let ya know.

I get the title screen with E:handler installed across the top, but no dos functions displayed. This is on my RAMBO 256K equipped 1200xl

Ditto on my PAL 800XL with 256Kb. I'll dig out a stock 130XE tonight if I get time.

Well, I swapped some of my 130xe's around and got a better response from most of them. The dos25 loads ok but doesn't do much other than that; I see no DOS functions. The BW one loads fine and shows a nice prompt and is stable. I don't know whats wrong with my original 130xe, but it wasn't your program.

Also, the dos25 seems sensitive to slight timing changes in booting...or something. One boot will work, and then next will not. If I keep trying I get kind of a mixture of working and crashes.

Edited by danwinslow

Here is an update. I still have not fixed some of the lockup issues, but I did fix some things:

setting the RAMTOP

added code to pause displaying when the CTRL-1 is pressed. (Unlike, the normal S:, you can press any other key to continue)

Fixed the arrow keys (made them work properly)

Fixed the start-up screen and cursor placement.

flashe.zip

Nice project. I tried your program using the supplied DOS and it worked really well. I've been doing lots of work on 80-column handlers but I haven't had time to try and tie mine in with the OS. I'll be following your work with interest...

Thanks! I have been following LW as well. In fact, much of the display list was stolen from your code! I will certainly share what I find out in tying this into the OS. There are still plenty of features I want to add...

Nice project. I tried your program using the supplied DOS and it worked really well. I've been doing lots of work on 80-column handlers but I haven't had time to try and tie mine in with the OS. I'll be following your work with interest...

Thanks! I have been following LW as well. In fact, much of the display list was stolen from your code! I will certainly share what I find out in tying this into the OS. There are still plenty of features I want to add...

The main limitation with a resident 80 column handler is the memory it eats up. I had thoughts a while ago about keeping all the display data in an extended bank, but it's a non-starter if you're using a RAMdisk or SpartaDOS. Ideally, a "de facto" resident handler should not only patch into the E: handler (or the SpartaDOS X "CON" device), but provide entry points for direct screen write routines which bypass the screen handler altogether. I'm glad the LW project has been of some help. Most of the work I've done has, in turn, been informed by the "ACE 80" handler (I borrowed the layout of the display buffers and the scrolling methodology from that program).