IGNORED

ABBUC Hardware and Software Contests 2009

BigBen

Errm

you most likely wanted to say: "Here is a new *chance* to win the Abbuc software or hardware contest", didn`t you ?!?

Now, after Obama was talking so much about "change" it is quite easy for us germans to mix these words...

chance = Chance/Möglichkeit

change = (Ver)Änderung

Hopefully the official abbuc website with the full information (and the rules) will be available soon... -Andreas Koch.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Five days left to take part in software contest of ABBUC.

Until now there are 5 entries:

1) Electro Maniac! + Leveleditor / Stefan C. Müller / Game

2) WASEO-Dictionary++ / Michael Probst / Application

3) DiskCommand / Winfried Fiedler /Tool

4) Gorilla Warfare / Jason Kendall / Game

5) Space Binvaders / Radek Sterba / Game

• 2 weeks later...

This year contributions to the contest:

1) Electro Maniac! + Leveleditor / Stefan C. Müller / Game

post-4699-125209773629_thumb.png

2) WASEO-Dictionary++ / Michael Probst / Application

post-4699-125209771212_thumb.png

3) DiskCommand / Winfried Fiedler /Tool

post-4699-125209768338_thumb.png

4) Gorilla Warfare / Jason Kendall / Game

post-4699-125209763894_thumb.png

5) Space Binvaders / Radek Sterba / Game

post-4699-125209761611_thumb.png

6) Seitensprung v0.1 / Christian Krüger / Application

post-4699-125209766304_thumb.png

Edited by Bunsen

The first contribution to software contest arrived yesterday. It's a game called Electric Miner + Leveleditor.

Any hardware entries? If I read it correctly, the contest "closed" 31 Aug, so presumably the entries have been received.

Anything "fast" entered this year?

-Larry

The first contribution to software contest arrived yesterday. It's a game called Electric Miner + Leveleditor.

Any hardware entries? If I read it correctly, the contest "closed" 31 Aug, so presumably the entries have been received.

Anything "fast" entered this year?

-Larry

Well,

there was one entry for the hardware contest (hardware under development) and another one that is still in a kind of "wait state". The first entry is a new (flash) cart. design that can hold more than 100 cart images. I do not know what the second entry is about - but I do know why it is on a wait state...

It is because the second entry is coming from the leader of the hardware ressort itself (Bernd Herale / BigBen) and its not clear, if the leader of the hardware ressort can take part at the hardware contest (for: he isn`t the judge, the Abbuc members and their votes are; against: conflict of interest, i.e. the leader of the hardware/software ressort should not take part in the hardware / software contest). We discussed this problem at the Abbuc forum, but have not come to a decision yet, so in the end I guess it is Wolfgang Burger himself who has to decide if its ok for him to take part or if its not ok...

But the rules of the hardware contest say there must be a minimum of two entries, otherwise the hardware contest will not be held. So if BigBen can take part we have a hw contest, if he cannot take part we don`t have a hw contest this year...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Well,

there was one entry for the hardware contest (hardware under development) and another one that is still in a kind of "wait state". The first entry is a new (flash) cart. design that can hold more than 100 cart images. I do not know what the second entry is about - but I do know why it is on a wait state...

It is because the second entry is coming from the leader of the hardware ressort itself (Bernd Herale / BigBen) and its not clear, if the leader of the hardware ressort can take part at the hardware contest (for: he isn`t the judge, the Abbuc members and their votes are; against: conflict of interest, i.e. the leader of the hardware/software ressort should not take part in the hardware / software contest). We discussed this problem at the Abbuc forum, but have not come to a decision yet, so in the end I guess it is Wolfgang Burger himself who has to decide if its ok for him to take part or if its not ok...

But the rules of the hardware contest say there must be a minimum of two entries, otherwise the hardware contest will not be held. So if BigBen can take part we have a hw contest, if he cannot take part we don`t have a hw contest this year...

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Thanks, Andreas.

Looks like "lean times" in the hardware category this year.

-Larry

Well,

looks like the final decision has been made in the hardware contest:

- the leader of the abbuc hw ressort must not take part in the hw contest (thus Bernd/BigBen is not allowed to take part)

- this means there is only one participation in the contest => since the rules say there must be a minimum of two participants, this also means:

There will be no Abbuc hardware contest this year !

Greetings, Andreas Koch.

P.S.: There will surely be a hw contest next year - and afaik, the money of this year`s contest will be added to the hw contest next year (so there is a lot of money to win in the hw contest next year)...

there was one entry for the hardware contest (hardware under development) and another one that is still in a kind of "wait state". The first entry is a new (flash) cart. design that can hold more than 100 cart images.

This definitely piques my interest. I would very much like a flashcart that can be programmed with different .bin/.rom cart images and played as a normal cartridge through the cart slot. Support for games over 16K would make it perfect. Please let us know about any updates on this project.

• 1 month later...

The results of the software contest 2009:

1 Space Binvaders 355 points - 500 EUR Prize money

2 Electro Maniac! 352 points - 250 EUR

3 WASEO Dictionary++ 311 Punkte - 125 EUR

4 DiskCommand 272 Punkte - 75 EUR

5 Seitensprung 242 Punkte - 50 EUR

6 Gorilla Warfare 177 Punkte

The results of the software contest 2009:

1 Space Binvaders 355 points - 500 EUR Prize money

2 Electro Maniac! 352 points - 250 EUR

3 WASEO Dictionary++ 311 Punkte - 125 EUR

4 DiskCommand 272 Punkte - 75 EUR

5 Seitensprung 242 Punkte - 50 EUR

6 Gorilla Warfare 177 Punkte

Can we download and try these releases somehow ? :)

Edit: Ufff.. I just found some on Fandal...

Edited by popmilo

Can we download and try these releases somehow ? :)

The authors will release programs for public (or won't).

1) For Space Binvaders check fandal.cz

2) For Electro Maniac! check authors homepage electromaniac.de

3) For WASEO Dictionary++ check authors homepage waseo.de

4) Don't know if Author of DiskCommand is interested in releasing his program for public

5) Author of Seitensprung will release his program probably here at AtariAge

6) For Gorilla Warfare check authors homepage http://gwobby.webs.com

Thanks! Just played Electro Maniac in the emulator and I really like it. Think I'll be loosing some time to this one.

Then be informed that the author still is working on the game to make it better. Especially the Level design will be worked over. If you have any ideas, suggestion etc.: Say it! It will be heard. :-)

Hello guys

You guys could of course become members of the ABBUC. Then you get all the software that is entered into the competition a couple of weeks before the yearly meeting of the members of the JHV (usually the last weekend of October). Plus you'll be supporting the biggest Atari 8 bit (only) user group in the world. We have over 400 (fourhundred) members at the moment. 10% of them or non-german. And many of those 10% do speak german, which helps since the magazine is in German.

greetings

Mathy

Here the source code and the level editor from Electro Maniac!

http://www.muellersen.de/electromaniac/EM-ALLES.atr

BigBen

Thanks! Just played Electro Maniac in the emulator and I really like it. Think I'll be loosing some time to this one.

What a fantastic game, at long last another decent single screen platform game. I can't believe this didn't win! I managed to get to level 4 last night, it's quite hard but addictive and having the editor means you could always tweak the levels :)

Do you really want some feedback on this game? (I don't wish to seem at all critical as this is way way better than my efforts!).

Played the winning game Space Binvaders too, took a few goes to work out the bits literally! This is cleverly done.

Great Work Guys 8)