IGNORED

BURNING ROMS TO EEPROMS

awace

Actually I'll do one step even better and mail you a paper copy and cd if you wish, just PM me your address. Wouldn't cost much more to mail, and I'll just print it out at work! Heh. :)

BTW here's a direct download link to realterm - http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=67297

You want the top link, Realterm_2.0.0.57_setup.exe

Great thing about this program is that you can easily make front end loaders for it! It supports scripting and activeX commands. So with a little work should be a great replacement for the OEM software, while being able to work in any windows/linux os! :thumbsup:

I was thinking that after we have these machines up and running, and everything is golden, to create a yahoo project or similar for it. That way all this knowledge is archived for others who can't find a single piece of info on these great burners. Such a shame logical devices decided to just abandon any support. :(

Edited by twolazy

• 2 weeks later...

I just rememberd you need a null modem cable and use xmodem I think hyperterminal would work..

the realterm works better though..

I just blew my big computer motherboard NEVER PLUG IDE CABLES IN WHEN POWER IS ON unless you have the bottom of the motherboard taped off w electrical tape..

anyway use 7,1,none and use null modem cable and xmodem(crc) to send files to burner...

send them in hex format and use the bin2hex file to convert them then put burner into intel hex mode then once file loaded you can burn to chip.. remember to check if blank 1st..

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Well I did manage eventually to get it to upload and download. Problem is now, whatever I download, doesn't upload with the same CRC. I am thinking perhaps its my usb to serial adapter. This weekend i'll attach it to my IBM XT and use an old verison of procomm plus and try again. So close atm!

I managed to upload and download using ASCII hex file transfer w/ the terminal I posted earlier. I tried xmodem a few times and no luck. I am beginning to wonder if perhaps its xmodem-1k? Or maybe its just the fact my digelec machine has 64k ram and i'm trying to upload 181kb for a 27c256. Not quite sure what I am doing wrong here. Do you know if you have to span files to ram size? Beginning to wonder if that is what I am doing wrong here...

If I can't get it here in the next few weeks, I am just going to buy a willem programmer and be done with it. I was hoping this be easier to transfer files too.

Edited by twolazy

• 5 months later...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Well I did manage eventually to get it to upload and download. Problem is now, whatever I download, doesn't upload with the same CRC. I am thinking perhaps its my usb to serial adapter. This weekend i'll attach it to my IBM XT and use an old verison of procomm plus and try again. So close atm!

I managed to upload and download using ASCII hex file transfer w/ the terminal I posted earlier. I tried xmodem a few times and no luck. I am beginning to wonder if perhaps its xmodem-1k? Or maybe its just the fact my digelec machine has 64k ram and i'm trying to upload 181kb for a 27c256. Not quite sure what I am doing wrong here. Do you know if you have to span files to ram size? Beginning to wonder if that is what I am doing wrong here...

If I can't get it here in the next few weeks, I am just going to buy a willem programmer and be done with it. I was hoping this be easier to transfer files too.

I was using a 8k asteroids type atari game on a 2764! a long one wow you got it to work i forgot since power failure at 4am what i had done to send it a file i think it might be win95 xmodem hyper terminal !.

• 3 months later...

WOW wholly crap BOY did I rant on on that topic ...

anyway I eventually found a appolo cart with a 2732 in it and using a william eeprom burner I finnaly made some new homebrew carts I actually burned and got them to work I also using a ohm meter I pinned out the cart and using a old atari pac-man cart I rewired it to use a 7400 and a 2732 to use 4k roms i hacked...

• 2 years later...

Just picked up one of these Digelec 824 bad boys with B-1.5 software cartridge. Found the manual online - though the links in this article were long dead. I am looking forward to reading all the above in further detail to figure out how this device works. I gotta find a serial cable and get my windows 95 IBM laptop out of the closet. (Looks like the laptop from the movie Hackers).

• 2 years later...

Anyone still following this? I figured out how to use my Digelec 804 to burn 2708 proms for my Missile Command Caberet. It was a days worth of screwing around but finally the right combination came together.

This was done on Win7x64 using RealTerm. The roms for Mame are for -04 version PCB using 2716 proms. I used Hexplorer to split the files into 1024k each. There is a dos commandline utility named bintohex.exe. Run that on your split file to create a file thats intel-hex format. Using Realterm, The file can be sent to the programmers RAM.

If anyone wants more detail I will explain better.

meistro