IGNORED

Funked Up 800XL?!?!

Ogma

So I got this here 800XL and it is misbehaving like a bad chihuaha!

First of all, I've noticed that wiggling the monitor cable affects the display, so I'm probably looking at repairing that soon...

Second, when you boot up, you DO get a blue screen, but NO basic/READY prompt. I did try booting with a BASIC cart and that seemed to work. Was the internal BASIC somehow disabled???

Third, some cartridges work... Others do not.

Any thoughts based on the above symptoms???

The only thing I can think about is that some of the carts are 400/800 only and won't work without a translator disk.

Are you holding down OPTION when booting? That disables BASIC. But if that was the case then you'd go into self-test if you had no disk drive attached. Bad BASIC ROM maybe? :ponder:

The only thing I can think about is that some of the carts are 400/800 only and won't work without a translator disk.

Are you holding down OPTION when booting? That disables BASIC. But if that was the case then you'd go into self-test if you had no disk drive attached. Bad BASIC ROM maybe? :ponder:

Well, the carts tested on this machine work perfectly fine on my 130XE and 65XE...

do you get any sound on those carts you're able to run? if not you might be facing pokey replacement :(

for xl/xe machine boot without or with damaged pokey on board will end up on blue screen with cursor at corner

no sound, no boot error, just cursor on blue screen

I get a blue screen without "READY"-Prompt when I boot without the BASIC Chip (it´s the one above the ROM).

Open the computer and check, if the chips are socketed or not. Slightly lift all socketed chips and then firmly push them down. Especially BASIC and ROM.

If you have socketed ROM and BASIC it is easy and cheap to replace the original chips.

Edited by skr

Opened it up, pulled and returned the BASIC chip (CO60302A-29) and all is well (so far).

ROM and RAM all appear fine according to Self Test.

Thanks for the suggestion!

~Scott

I get a blue screen without "READY"-Prompt when I boot without the BASIC Chip (it´s the one above the ROM).

Open the computer and check, if the chips are socketed or not. Slightly lift all socketed chips and then firmly push them down. Especially BASIC and ROM.

If you have socketed ROM and BASIC it is easy and cheap to replace the original chips.