IGNORED

AVGN Reviews the Atari Jaguar

BugsBunny2600

Yeah, maybe along with the 5200. (though I did find the result of the 5200 video pretty funny, and it certainly emphesized on e of the biggest flaws fairly accurately)

His first one must have had some kind of internal damage. (could be serious, or simply a broken wire on the connector, hence why cart games wouldn't even work) Getting the "red screen of death" should mean a connection error, not a read error. (which displays a "?") This latter problem often fixed by pulling the spindle up.

Ill be sure that the Jag Cd function.

But he doesnt put the Jag Cd hard enough in the Jaguar.

You really think that? After his friend manually connected every possible connection point of the two devices & it still didn't work?

Yes i think so, the Angry Video Gema Nerd is only a Show.

His Friend didn´t say the Truth. I think the AVGN need a reason to Poop on the Jaguar Cd.

I doubt that. While his "expert" friend din't seem all that knowlegible on console repair (and said freind's "acting" was overexaggerated), I do think he was being truthful.

The guy should have atlest opened the Jag CD up and cheact for internal damage though. Could have been as simple as a broken wire, though it could also have been more serious. (and judging by the RSoD he got it was a connection problem, and not a disc reading issue -thus not the simple splindle problem)

However, as he didn't elaborate on his 2nd CD unit other than "it doesn't work either!" that one may have been just the spindle issue. (which displays a "?" meaning a read error)

• 2 months later...
He still can. It's all fake you know. He is a collector and doesn't make it a point to "really" damage/destroy anything.

He did destroy a 32X unit in his 32X review, though I'm not sure if it was working or not.

Some big sega fans fount that pretty funny, other not so much. Either it wasn't working or it was the spare he got at the flea market for a few dollars (with no hook ups), he does tend to avoid destroying good stuff (using "stunt" cartridges, common, very poor games like Back to the Future for stuf like that), not sure if the 32x fits into this category though. Anyway, I'm not sure that was an entire 32x, it may have just been the shell (I'll have to look again), he could have kept the innards for spare parts or to have someone make a homebrewed Neptune for him.

I really don't think his friend soldered the CD leads to the Jaguar leads. The picture shown in that segment was shown earlier in the episode when they were talking about the Nintendo toaster or whatever his friend had made.

The review, well I wrote earlier what I thought of the review. Good to a point, but thought the "has some good games, some bad games" and based on that average, made him want to puke? That was hardly a well written assesment.

I really don't think his friend soldered the CD leads to the Jaguar leads. The picture shown in that segment was shown earlier in the episode when they were talking about the Nintendo toaster or whatever his friend had made.

The review, well I wrote earlier what I thought of the review. Good to a point, but thought the "has some good games, some bad games" and based on that average, made him want to puke? That was hardly a well written assesment.

It's not one of his best works, he seemed to have been in kind of a slump for a while, the most recent vids seem to have been a lot more in liine with his better stuff. (though the Odyssey one probably could have been better w/out the "Nerdy Turd" still pretty funny though, and the ending was great)

In the Jag one he wasn't informed enough about the technical aspects, and while he did refer to the ambiguity of "bits" to some extent, he could have been clearer, like mentioning that the Wii could be considdered a 32-bit system or something... And then he kept referring to how stuf on the Jag didn't look "64-bit" ... (he should have debunked this and gone in another direction)

Also he refrenced to the Jaguar's "bits" being "added up" to 64, another misconception to the 64 bit "claim." (I's debatabl on how you define the "bitness" of a system and it's up to personal usage for whether the Jag is actually a 64-bit system, but that involves diffent reasoning than "adding up" processors, AFIK SNK was the only one to do that with the "24-bit" Neo Geo)

I didn't mid the cat skit too much, but it ran at least twice as long as it should, it felt like many of the recent skits on SNL. (decent but drawn out long enough to ruin the joke)

Also, he should have shown some real games he could have ripped into more to make a better argument of wanting to puke (refrencing the Cybermorph commercial in conjunction with this might have been funny too), and he seemed to focus more on grapics than some other issues, like the controlls in Checkered Flag. (though he didi go more for the control problems with Kasumi Ninja)

There's Club Drive, Crecent Galaxy (which is not bat integrally, but rather unfinished, and not what the game should have been) among others. He could have mentioned the wide gaps in game releases and problematic advertizing campaign as well...

As to the CD, given that it was a genuine connection problem and not something to do with the drive assembly (which gives a "?" signifying read error), it could have been an internal problem like broken wire/cable in the connector or detached ribbon cable. (his "expert" didn't seem to bother taking it apart...) Had the guy inspected it internally and still found nothing (no probblems with the power distribution -voltage regulaors- or cable/wire connections, blown fuse), thin it may have been screwed. (broken trace, damaged hardwware etc) I also really disliked the nintoaster guy's attempt at AVGN style character acting, either tone it down, reherse it better, or don't do it at all!

The second unit may very well have had the common spindle allignment problem resulting in the "?" read error as he doesn't elaborate past "doesn't work either". (easily fixed by pulling the spindle up into place iirc)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to hate the jaguar when i was a kid. I mean looking back now it is a fun console to play around with ,but when i got it...it was the ONLY console i had. 99% of the games were just...Blech. I hated cybermorph when i was a kid and always wanted Starfox for the snes,but i didn't have an snes. The atari jaguar failed for a very good reason, it's games were awful. You can say"Tempest 2000 is so good and so is AVP and doom", which they are, but compare that to the genesis,snes, or even 3DO library. It is just....balls. I would rather have final fantasy 2 or 3 for snes than a jaguar and all the times TBH. As the the AVGN he is ok..he can be really funny sometimes.

I used to hate the jaguar when i was a kid. I mean looking back now it is a fun console to play around with ,but when i got it...it was the ONLY console i had. 99% of the games were just...Blech. I hated cybermorph when i was a kid and always wanted Starfox for the snes,but i didn't have an snes. The atari jaguar failed for a very good reason, it's games were awful. You can say"Tempest 2000 is so good and so is AVP and doom", which they are, but compare that to the genesis,snes, or even 3DO library. It is just....balls. I would rather have final fantasy 2 or 3 for snes than a jaguar and all the times TBH. As the the AVGN he is ok..he can be really funny sometimes.

I never had an SNES, but my friend did and we played Star Fox A LOT.

Then I got a Jaguar w/Cybermorph and we both said "screw Star Fox!"

As far as the library is concerned, I really don't think it's the ratio of good-to-sucky games. It's more that there simply isn't enough in the first place. With as many good games came out for the SNES & Genesis, there is probably an equal amount of crappy ones.

Completely different games types though, many who like the fast paced rail shooter genre won't care for Cybermorph. I'm a bit neutral on the latter, though I haven't played it enough to really judge it, by apearances it could have been a lot more polished though, and could have been more esthetically designed. (soem of the color schemes and backgrounds -or lack thereof- are rather garrish compared to Star Fox, Battlemorph resolved this, resolved the annoying Skylar, and the lack of music) Not really a direct comparison to Cybermorph, but I'm also a big fan of combat flight sims (space sims particularly, but historical/realistic ones on occasion as well), particularly the old X-Wing DOS PC game. (CD-ROM version, not Win95 version mid you) Granted, this is really more comperable to Battlesphere.

Again, differen't genres, and the Jag could have made a 3D rail shooter that would easily blow Star Fox away, more colors, higher resolution Gouraud shading higher framerate and poly count/draw distance, and all that probably even using the 68k as the CPU, as was common, not really tapping the Jag's true potential. (too bad they didn't have a railshooter like this, probably would have appealed to more people than CM)

I like Star Fox, still play it too, just a fun, pick up an dplay game. (the music is great too, really sets the tone of the action, one of the major things Cybermorph lacks)

Edited by kool kitty89

Completely different games types though, many who like the fast paced rail shooter genre won't care for Cybermorph. I'm a bit neutral on the latter, though I haven't played it enough to really judge it, by apearances it could have been a lot more polished though, and could have been more esthetically designed. (soem of the color schemes and backgrounds -or lack thereof- are rather garrish compared to Star Fox, Battlemorph resolved this, resolved the annoying Skylar, and the lack of music) Not really a direct comparison to Cybermorph, but I'm also a big fan of combat flight sims (space sims particularly, but historical/realistic ones on occasion as well), particularly the old X-Wing DOS PC game. (CD-ROM version, not Win95 version mid you) Granted, this is really more comperable to Battlesphere.

Again, differen't genres, and the Jag could have made a 3D rail shooter that would easily blow Star Fox away, more colors, higher resolution Gouraud shading higher framerate and poly count/draw distance, and all that probably even using the 68k as the CPU, as was common, not really tapping the Jag's true potential. (too bad they didn't have a railshooter like this, probably would have appealed to more people than CM)

I like Star Fox, still play it too, just a fun, pick up an dplay game. (the music is great too, really sets the tone of the action, one of the major things Cybermorph lacks)

Yeah, I've always said the same -- different games, so they can't really be compared.

What I was saying, though, was my friend and I had plenty of fun with Star Fox. we both went through it and beat it and it was a blast.

Just once I got the Jag & Cybermorph, we never picked it up again, because we thought it was awesome that you were no longer stuck on rails and could fly around on your own. We also liked the graphics better.

Er, if you hate the Jaguar so much, why are you wasting your time reading a pro-Jaguar forum?

As far as the library is concerned, I really don't think it's the ratio of good-to-sucky games. It's more that there simply isn't enough in the first place. With as many good games came out for the SNES & Genesis, there is probably an equal amount of crappy ones.

I don''t really hate the jaguar that much.I used too,but that stopped when it wasn't my primary console. I did love and still love the CD add-on. Battlemorph was quite awsome and fixed allot of cybermorph's problems.I still play my Jag Cd to play Baldies allot :) I think the jaguar is a really interesting machine that could have done allot. It did have more power than the SNES,but very few people actually knew how to squeeze the good stuff out of it.I am also an atari fanboy=)