IGNORED

Atari Flashback 2 Port Mod

I have done the Flashback 2 cart slot mod a couple of times, and would do it for you if you really wanted. However, I would only really want to do it on the revision b version, which has a smaller motherboard and is a little bit easier mostly since there's more extra room inside. To tell if yours is a rev b, run the Quadrun game--if you can actually hear a (static covered)voice say the word "quadrun" four times you're good to go. On the earlier version the voice did not work.

Worst part is that it is a LOT of work and takes a LONG time to do, especially to really look good, so it would be VERY expensive, and you might just do better buying a real 2600. Of course, there is that "OOH/AAH" factor with a modded FB2, but to me half of that is being able to say I did it myself.

Doing this mod requires that you have a Flashback 2($40-ish or maybe a little less and can be hard to be sure if you're buying a rev b or not), and you basically have to kill a 2600($???) or order the cart slot parts(~$15-20 shipped), plus some other relatively inexpensive raw materials. I have scored orphan 2600s for $5-10 a couple of times, but can't just make it happen at will.

I found that it was really best to use parts from a real 2600 or you don't get the little dust protector and the perfect screws that hold the connector in the cartridge guide. To me, having a rev b to work with and the real parts from a 2600 is worth the extra trouble/expense/etc because for so much work, you may as well have the best internal games and a dust protector to keep the cart slot working as long as possible.

Additionally, you might not know that there are quite a few games that will not run on your new expensively modified machine. See the best(but I'm sure incomplete) list here:

http://kennedy.greg.googlepages.com/fb2compat.html

I personally was very disappointed by this limitation. Although out of the entire 2600 library only a small fraction of games have issues, it seems to be some of the very best ones(at least to me)--games with great graphics, special cart internals, super-awesome programming, or whatever else that pushed the limits of Atari hardware making these games rock so darn hard. Wanna play Berzerk, Jungle Hunt, Jr. Pac-Man, Galaxian, Pitfall II, Stargate, or even Dig Dug? You're outta luck with a modded FB2.

I just saw that no one had responded to your post and thought I'd try to shed some light just in case you didn't know. Hope that helps a bit.

Long story short, IMHO use a real 2600, or if you REALLY want a modded FB2, do it yourself! There are lots of people to copycat from all around the web and folks that will try to help you on forums like this, too! For the money you spend having someone else do it you could destroy several FB2s and learn a lot in the process!

In closing, feel free to PM me with an offensively large offer for modding services :)

Edited by brojamfootball

If I can put in my two cents. I was lucky enough to find someone who would mod my FB2 for me and it was definitely worth it. I have read my share of bad experiences some people have had buying 2600's and even if you get a unit in good condition, the RF connector can be tricky to work with for a newer TV.

The FB2's joysticks are excellent and very durable, much more so than their original counterparts. The Composite connectors on the FB2 make for a much cleaner video signal. Also, you are using modern components as opposed to relying on circuits built over three decades ago. But admittedly it is worth noting that several games do not work in the FB2, that is definitely something to think about.

Unfortunately it looks like the person who modded my unit is not interested in doing it anymore so I can't forward interested parties to him. However, if anyone is willing to mod a FB2 I say appreciate that person for their offer. It's a tough job.

• 4 weeks later...
If I can put in my two cents. I was lucky enough to find someone who would mod my FB2 for me and it was definitely worth it. I have read my share of bad experiences some people have had buying 2600's and even if you get a unit in good condition, the RF connector can be tricky to work with for a newer TV.

The FB2's joysticks are excellent and very durable, much more so than their original counterparts. The Composite connectors on the FB2 make for a much cleaner video signal. Also, you are using modern components as opposed to relying on circuits built over three decades ago. But admittedly it is worth noting that several games do not work in the FB2, that is definitely something to think about.

Unfortunately it looks like the person who modded my unit is not interested in doing it anymore so I can't forward interested parties to him. However, if anyone is willing to mod a FB2 I say appreciate that person for their offer. It's a tough job.

On the controlers they are easyer to play w cause they have more reliable rubber buttons but are actually 6 times thinner plastic take one apart and compare the thickness of the plastic !!! ..

PS . did they hook up the color/bw switch I used a old 2600 to mod mine and put it inside then used the power supply I modded the color/bw switch for the built in and cart games switch then i used the existing diff switches and the ch3/4 switch for bw/color since the FB has no rf and composite out i used the ch3 switch for the FB's color/bw switch!! also i used the broken 2600 board that i put the fb into to solder the cart connector onto the Fb this was a major pain in the but for soldering cause i had to scrape all of the pins off the motherboard from the original 2600 then I decided to use the existing switches and the joystick ports witch was a nother pain in the but .. It does work and i am happy w my mod..

I also tried it w a non b version fb and totally screwed it up so now i have 2 FB shells cases one is in good condition and the other one has the sticker for the buttons peeled the other one looks ok so if you need a case witch hasnt been butchared pm me and I might part w it for cheap.. My flashback works now does youre flashback built in and cart button hook to a real 2600 switch like mine does cause this can make for some real cool FLASHING NOT the power button cause that can be bad but i mean flashing from cart to built in games If you pick built in 1st then goto cart it works better I do this w missile command cause its cool cause its the same game you can switch between built in and cart w not mutch noticed but if i do it w my cart modded asteroids cart i made my self its cool the rocks simply change from rocks to the aw rocks the best flash is to pick a game like caverns of mars on the flashback built in memmory on 1st then switch to a game like missile command. it works best if you use a 2600 color/bw switch double pole double throw with single inpute i mean scratch pcb so both sides of the switch are seprate this causes a glitch in the switch making it possible to move the switch at the bottom color mode up just nudge it and I think one side disconnects leaving the other side on witch is werid but if you move it just right it goes between both built in and say missile command and is like pushing flash button in stella

I once saw a screen that said

this space intent;ionally left empty

i noted they spelled the word intentionally wrong witch was funny to me I wondered if they planned a extra game and or i had flashed between builtin and cart so many times before it locked up i made it think the built in memmory was empty...

mabie they were planning a game key and decided to make a FB instead...

• 1 month later...