IGNORED

Stacker

atari2600land

I'm trying to make a bB version of the arcade game "Stacker" using the playfield, and I need a way to figure out how to judge whether the playfield block should fall and disappear or not. Here's what I have so far.

By the way, all the other projects are on hold until this gets done. This is my top priority right now.

stacker3a.bas

Never heard of it, so I looked for some YouTube videos showing people playing it:

Ya it's a wicked game and I have secured the home console version rights from LAI Games. I will be taking care of the production and finacial costs to get this game out and I have commisioned Chris to do near all the programming. I have the secured the rights from owners LAI Games to make "no more than 50 units". I don't think there will be 50 made but that is the number I given on paper from LAI Games (owners of the copyrights of stacker and all it's audio\visual\presantation type). So this is gonna be the totally legit 2600 version of Stacker. LAI Games is no joke when it comes to protecting their IP, they totally crush anyone using even game elements of Stacker without permission. Just look at their website (www.laigames.com) for any further info about Stacker and LAI Games.

I can't decide if Shawn Sr is being serious or joking.

I've wasted many a dollar bill in that game. Can get all the way to the top, but never win the big prize. They make it jump erratically.

I'm dead serious. I am the owner of the rights and permits to make Stacker on a home console. Straight from the top of LAI Games from Mr. Chris McGrath. Mr. McGrath is the International Product Development Manager of LAI Games. He actually was the man that developed Stacker the arcade game also. This is the label I had aproved to use from LAI about 2 weeks ago.

So ya, this game is gonna happen and with all legalities in place also. Couple of programming hurdles to go and I see no reason this game won't be avalible by the end of the Spring at the latest.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

So back on track here, can anyone help out atari2600land with this programming issue with the PF blocks?

Does atari2600land know the official way the game is supposed to work or is he just going by what he has seen? Does the company have guidelines they want him to follow? Once he knows what is officially supposed to happen and why, it shouldn't be too hard for him to create the program.

Some of the problems have been fixed, but by fixing them, I made new problems, so this version is really buggy. I've just posted this to prove I still have this game in my thoughts. Once I have the code just right, I think I might be able to keep this at 4k.

stacker4.bas.bin

stacker4.bas

Some of the problems have been fixed, but by fixing them, I made new problems, so this version is really buggy. I've just posted this to prove I still have this game in my thoughts. Once I have the code just right, I think I might be able to keep this at 4k.

4K means the price will be lower for the carts also which is good for everyone. Simple game that is tons of fun that will be avalible for a fair price. :thumbsup:

Does atari2600land know the official way the game is supposed to work or is he just going by what he has seen?

The official way is for the game to be rigged so you can win, so no its not gonna be rigged cause that is just stupid, but aside from that Stacker is pretty straight forward. Once you have seen it once, you have seen it a million times and you will want to play it a million times too!! (I sure do).

4K means the price will be lower for the carts also which is good for everyone. Simple game that is tons of fun that will be avalible for a fair price. :thumbsup:

sounds good to me shaun, count me in. would this be the first official licenced homebrew?? I hope your not going to get all coporate on us :)

I'd get Stacker if I could get financing or something. The mini is close to $3700 and a cheaper similar brand $3300.

If I owned a Stacker, I'd be nice about it. I'd set it on one of the highest payout settings. I'd want to advertise it too if that's allowed or something.

Of course I'd want to make money, but my theory is if I can reliably make $300 extra a month even I'd be very happy. That's 10 people playing a day, which isn't very much if you think about it, so say a few more people because I'd need to cover rent and stuff.

Edited by yuppicide

I'd get Stacker if I could get financing or something. The mini is close to $3700 and a cheaper similar brand $3300.

If I owned a Stacker, I'd be nice about it. I'd set it on one of the highest payout settings. I'd want to advertise it too if that's allowed or something.

Of course I'd want to make money, but my theory is if I can reliably make $300 extra a month even I'd be very happy. That's 10 people playing a day, which isn't very much if you think about it, so say a few more people because I'd need to cover rent and stuff.

After the overhead of prizes your still gonna make around $1k or more a month in a medium traffic location. You could set your yellow box to 200 or 250 plays at $1 USD per play and be sure your prize for large wins are no more than $100 dollars each and you will make a killing. The keychains and junk for small prizes can be bought in bulk for dirt cheap too. Once every couple of months throw a Wii or a 360 in the large prize slot and you will have even more business.

Make sure to put in a few different "prizes" of some sort for winning the middle or the top tier. These could be as simple as pictures of prizes and songs, but I think they are sort of needed to communicate the whole "Stacker" vibe.

It's gonna be point based. 50 points for small prize, 100 for large prize.