IGNORED

Best and Worst 5200 Games.....

atarigamer

Crossbow, I can't believe that you find Defender ruined by the 5200's sticks, and not Kangaroo! Some of those Level-2 jumps are maddenning with 5200 control!

I find all the sports games to be uninteresting these days. I do like RS Baseball the best of these. RS Soccer was pretty good but its very dated & no challenge at all for me anymore. James Bond is pretty bad, and Star Wars is really no fun to me.

Best games? Berzerk. Defender. Pac-Man. Space Dungeon. Rescue on Fractalus. Wizard of Wor (great, loud, bizarre music and mood!), Joust, Moon Patrol, Gremlins, and Miner 2049'er. Actually, I find few that are actually bad.

This is a tough one, but I'd have to say...

Best

---------

Xari Arena

Super Pac-Man

Jr. Pac-Man

Miner 2049er

BBSB

Defender

Track & Field

Star Raiders

Montezuma's Revenge

etc.

Worst

-----

Gorf

That's right, only one on the worst list and that's only because it was a poor conversion. Most of the 5200 games belong on the best list, at worst some games are average. The 5200 is one of the few systems that can boast a library with almost no stinkes.

Tempest

Cafeman:

My only reason for Defender being a pain to control is because on my 5200 with both of my controllers. I have to push all the way to the extreme right to get the ship to change direction. However, Defender is the only game I can really see this happening on. It could be both my sticks need calibrating. But then that doesn't explain why Fractalus, Star Raiders, and yes...even Gorf all respond correctly.

Also I have a really hard time controlling Berzerk! as well. I can't get the diagnals to work in that game at all movement wise. I do much better with the digital sticks of the 2600 version than the 5200 version. Because of this alone I am hesitant to get BluePrint or Miner...or some others.

I will know just as soon as my SW:TAG for the 5200 comes in.

TunnelRunner:

Millipede is great. Centipede is better with a trakball. I think Millipede only moves your character at one speed. Centipede makes use of the analog controlls. I think anyway. hehe, I'll have to play them both tonight. :-)

Maybe Centipede is just programmed with an amount of acceleration. I know if you spin the ball like hell, he takes the heck off.

Charlie

Chaz:

Can't be a controller problem. Defender and Berzerk! are the only ones that give me fits. Most of the time Berzerk's main character won't move diagnally when I want him to. But I have better luck if I return the stick to center and then move him. So basically I can't roll the controller from say...left to left+up diagnal. I would have to be moving left and then return it to center and then to the left+up posistion for him to move in that diagnal. Defender is just plain odd. Because going left takes no effort at all. But if I want to suddenly change and go right...well I can't unless I move the stick all the way to the far right. That maybe the normal method. But if so then left shouldn't start working until that is at its extreme as well.

But Moon Patrol, Frogger, Fractalus, Star Raiders, Kangaroo work great! Yes I actually prefer Kangaroo on the 5200 to the 2600 version. I actually don't have any trouble controlling the 'Roo' in that game.

Oh well, probably just me and I'm all weird and stuff.

CrossBow: it's a controller problem. I've seen that many a time on my 5200 where some games work with a controller fine and others you really have to jam it (on the same stick) to get it to go. And then bam.. plug in another stick, and it's creamy smooth.

It's a simple potentiometer issue and how much that particular game reads as necessary to register movement in that direction. In my time fiddling with 5200 sticks (I have a whole boxful) sometimes when I took apart the stick and manually tweaked the left/right pot that was giving me problems, it would occasionally solve that issue but in this day and age of better information and more solid fixing advice, I probably would read up a bit on it

Well,

I don't have Krazy Shoot out so I can't compare with that one.

Also I haven't really found a 5200 games yet that I would say really "Sucks" in the ethical sense. But this is what is played the most and the least in my 5200.

Least played:

Defender

Gorf

Kaboom! (I don't have paddles so I figure this would help)

Frogger

Most Played:

Rescue on Fractalus

Space Dungeon

Moon Patrol

Kangaroo (Hey I like it! Leave me alone!)

And believe it or not I don't have Pac-Man or any of the sports games yet. I see Pac-Man all the time so I that is probably the #1 reason I haven't picked it up. Also many of the 5200 games are great arcade conversions with perfect sound, but the 5200 controllers really ruin it all for me with these games. Like Defender and Kaboom!

NE146: It could also be the 5200 system itself. Example: I had a system that 1/2 my joysticks wouldnt let the character in Pitfall go down ladders.If you can't go down ladders you can't let go of the vine. :-)

I found that turning a pot on the 5200 mother board slightly to thr right fixed the problem. I guess over time the system had been banged around a bit and the adjustment moved. The pot is located on the bottom right of the mother board. The best thing is, you don't have to take off the metal shield to get to it. That shield is a royal pain for those of us with no patience. :-)

Charlie

NE146 and Chaz,

I thank thee most heartily for your suggestions. My apprehention (sp?) is that I am afraid that in the course of trying to fix both of these sticks that I have which give me the exact same results on those two games btw, that I will in fact screw up the control for the other games. As I stated there is really only these two games giving me fits. I might try the pot adjustment on the 5200 main board later. But that will be later. I am still awaiting for my SW:TAG for the 5200 and will gauge control off of it.

Thanks again however

I've only had my 5200 for a year (it was last years Christmas gift from my lovely wife) but my favorite game is definitely:

QIX

Other ones I like include:

Ms. Pac-Man

Vanguard

Missile Command (with tracball baby!)

Berzerk (awesome voice)

Super Breakout

Moon Patrol

My least favorite games are Football and Tennis.

BTW, I also think the 5200 cart design was the best ever for any Atari system.

--Greg

• 2 weeks later...

"BTW, I also think the 5200 cart design was the best ever for any Atari system."

I always though the original computer carts were the best design - compact, very expanadable capacity and with the dust protector flap. 5200 carts are a bit too big, given that they are only small capacity computer carts anyway...

sTeVE