IGNORED

New England game stores and important places

Christian suggest making a pined thread about stores and what not in the area...

I'll start with one of the easy ones:

Funspot in Laconia, NH is the region's pride and joy for well-maintained arcade games... as seen in the movie King of Kong... from the Wikipedia page:

Funspot Family Fun Center (or simply known as Funspot) is a video arcade and self-declared "classic gaming museum" founded in 1952 by Bob Lawton, and located in the village of Weirs Beach in Laconia, New Hampshire, USA. It includes over 500 games, an indoor golf center, a 20-lane ten-pin and candlepin bowling center, cash bingo, mini-golf, a restaurant, and a tavern. Funspot was officially named the "Largest Arcade in the World" by Guinness World Records at the 10th Annual International Classic Video Game and Pinball Tournament, held from May 29 through June 1, 2008.

Integrated within Funspot is the American Classic Arcade Museum, which is the first 501©(3) non-profit organization dedicated to restoring and displaying vintage coin-operated amusements. The museum celebrates the origins of the arcade industry with popular games from the past. Asteroids, Pac-Man, Centipede and Gorgar are just a few of the many games in the classic arcade museum. The museum also contains static displays of game history, and the walls feature many posters of vintage arcade games.

So, other great arcades, thrifts, and/or specialty stores in the region?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Might as well add my shop to this place now.

Inside Comically Speaking at 575 Main St. in Reading, MA (Brick building on the East Side of the street). Here is a pic of the building.

ComicallySpeaking.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=575+main+st+...=16&iwloc=A

We are purchasing a large collection of games this week, so we should have some good stuff in stock soon. We are also looking at expanding the game footprint to about 500 sq. ft. in July, so stay tuned. Finally, if anyone is looking for something specific and wants me to keep my eyes open, let me know.

Dane

Edited by Waterborn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dane, I had a chance to swing buy the store this past Sat. I spoke to Pat for a bit, I had not seen him in many years.

Things are looking good! Next time I can break away from the Wife and kids I'll try and swing by again. I'd like to see

how things progress for you guys. Sounds like you got some good ideas going for the near future. Best of Luck, Joe R.

Larcen,

Currenlty our game inventory is pretty sparse, mostly NES, Intelli and 2600 carts. Like I mentioned earlier, we are working on getting in a big lot of Nintendo stuff. Let me know if there is something in particular you are looking for and I will see if I can track it down.

Dane

• 2 weeks later...

The flea market I go to is the Maplewood indoor flea market in New Milford CT. There's one or two stands with one or two games but one guy has shelves and shelves stuffed with games for really cheap. I have a frequent buyer's discount along with the regular multiple item discount so I can get boxed Atari 2600 games for $.50 each. I bought most of my systems there. That stand also has tons of computers, monitors, extra cables and wires for almost anything, turntables, radios, speakers, and even one of those school overhead projectors.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

If there is anyone here from western MA (I have a feeling that I am the only one), there's a small store called "Video Games Etc." in Greenfield. The owner told me that I am the only one who has ever bought Atari stuff.

You're not the only one--I'm in Western Mass too. Still an hour from Greenfield, though!

Inside Comically Speaking at 575 Main St. in Reading, MA (Brick building on the East Side of the street). Here is a pic of the building.

ComicallySpeaking.jpg

Is that the actual employee dress code for your store? If so...icon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gificon_mrgreen.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I am just opening a new independent store called Retro Games Plus in Westport CT. We specialize in everything from Atari and Colecovision to the newer consoles. Grand opening is set for OCtober 22, 2011 so if you are reading this after that date feel free to stop by. We have over 250 Atari games in stock currently and over 4000 total gaming titles. We are located at 1761 Post Road East in Westport CT. www.retrogamesplus.com

Hope to see you there!

• 3 months later...

Game Universe is back open in Framingham under the new name Game Underground. They also have a second location in Somerville. Jeremy bought the business off of the previous owner, Dave.

The Somerville store is closed. It's no longer in business it seems. I went there looking last week and saw it's gone out of business.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

But just about every store in the area uses insane Ebay Buy-It-Nows for pricing, so I guess it is par for the course.

I see that a lot. eBay prices are misleading. People don't understand the eBay process. So when a person says "They go for X on eBay" (I hear this at yard sales). I tell them they will pay 10% in fees, 10% shipping fee. Paypal fees, blah, blah, The whole time consuming process of cleaning, pictures, listing, and mailing. "You carried it outside". Then I offer them a fair price. They often take it. I'm a nice guy, so I say all that in a more pleasant way.

Also things can be listed as any amount on eBay, but the real question is, is anybody buying at that price? For that I don't care if I look the jerk.

I wish there were really good vintage stores here. Seems every year, the consoles at yard sales get newer, and newer.

I see that a lot. eBay prices are misleading. People don't understand the eBay process. So when a person says "They go for X on eBay" (I hear this at yard sales). I tell them they will pay 10% in fees, 10% shipping fee. Paypal fees, blah, blah, The whole time consuming process of cleaning, pictures, listing, and mailing. "You carried it outside". Then I offer them a fair price. They often take it. I'm a nice guy, so I say all that in a more pleasant way.

Also things can be listed as any amount on eBay, but the real question is, is anybody buying at that price? For that I don't care if I look the jerk.

I wish there were really good vintage stores here. Seems every year, the consoles at yard sales get newer, and newer.

I never get far with reasoning like that. People are quick to believe their old junk is gold. Even when you explain to them their old Combat or Zelda cartridge isn't worth the thousands they thought it was, they never believe you.

they never believe you.

Something about being a Yankee makes this area good for honest (heated at times) haggling. Yes, there are many occasions I just walk, knowing that stuff will be brought back in, or thrown away. I have no shame in reminding people they want it out of their home. How good can it be?

Sometimes when you walk away, then they want to talk. I have yard saled since a kid, and my Dad taught me really well. Most of the time I get what I want, at a mutual price.

• 9 months later...

I'm looking for shops around the North Shore area of Boston who still sell Atari games - 2600, Jaguar, etc. I heard of a place in Salem but can't find them on the web. Anyone know?

edit:

I just found this place in NH. They are 45 mins away from me, it might be worth the trip, looks like a nice little place. :)

http://videogamexchangenh.com/

mybanner.jpg

Edited by xucaen