IGNORED

Missile Command & Super Front Line (Colecovision/ADAM)

Tempest

Does anyone have pictures of these two rare demos? From what I've heard Missile Command is only a title screen, although I'd like to see it and find out where it came from (info seems to be elusive on this one). Also, I've heard rumors of an ultra rare Super Front Line demo for the ADAM, but I've never seen evidence that it exists. Anyone got a screen shot (or better yet a rom file) of that one?

Tempest

• 3 weeks later...

This guy has the Super Front Line demo and the ADAM dealer in-store demo for sale, plus others. I've looked for this forever and only found it now, after I've sold off all my ADAM stuff. :x

E009 - Super Front Line Demo : A Coleco In-House Demo

of the unfinished supergame. Program is auto-booting

and runs through two very detailed screens.

E017 - ADAM DEMO/Word Feud/It's Only Rock N Roll : ADAM DEMO

is the same program that dealers were running to demo

the Adam's capabilities.

http://fmhcentral.freeservers.com/FMH_Central/ADAM.html

• 4 months later...

Doubledown,

Did you ever get these? I have the Super Front Line Demo in .dsk format if you still need it. Here it is, in .dsk format.

Gregg

I had contacted him about a few of these a while back and he said he was still getting set up to run off some copies of these, but wasn't ready yet. But he hasn't gotten back to me on them yet.

Sufrtlne.zip

While we're at this fascinating talk of prototypes and what-not, I was wondering if anyone here can clarify what exactly is going on with "Temple of Apshai" and if there ever was a version of this released to the Adam public domain. I have not had time to go through my own collection to see if it's there on disk or DP, and I've been trying to track down a copy for purchase, but it appears to only be "Gateway to Apshai", which obviously is just the ColecoVision cartridge version (which is fairly common).

While "Temple of Apshai" is arguably a different type of RPG, outside of "Lord of the Dungeon", it would be the only true hardcore RPG I could think of being on either the ColecoVision or Adam.

I assume from the description that this is not a playable demo? It just shows a static screen? Looks neat though.

I too would like to know about Temple of Apshai. I find it hard to believe that they ported it to the ADAM (due to its very small market share) and then decided not to release it. If that were the case you'd think it would have been widely bootlegged back in the day rather than showing up on only one or two PD lists.

Tempest

There is a .dsk image of Temple of Apshai on doperoms.com. It looks like it's incomplete and buggy. I played it a little and came across 11 types of monsters.

That's Temple of Apshai alright. What makes you think it's buggy or incomplete?

Tempest

There is a .dsk image of Temple of Apshai on doperoms.com. It looks like it's incomplete and buggy. I played it a little and came across 11 types of monsters.

Tempest

The bugs were usually at the begining of a game. A couple of times there were no walls and couple of times I was able to walk off the screen. Otherwise it played ok. There was only one type of treasure item so I thought it might be incomplete. No high score screen either.

Tempest

The bugs were usually at the begining of a game. A couple of times there were no walls and couple of times I was able to walk off the screen. Otherwise it played ok. There was only one type of treasure item so I thought it might be incomplete. No high score screen either.

I'd have to play around with it to see. I have the manual for the game that gives the room/treasure descriptions, and without that the game is pretty boring.

Tempest

I checked out the Front Line Supergame on a real ADAM. Appearing first is the ADAM title screen, then the graphical Front Line title screen, then the game screen. It is in fact a non-playable demo. It shows a secured beach-front upon which an amphibious vehicle descends, and a helicopter flying overhead perhaps providing cover fire. Perhaps if this game was to be finished, my guess is that this would have been maybe level two, after the jungle level? The demo just repeats over and over again, there is sound, and any keypad button pauses the demo, and then any second keypad button un-pauses it. I'm a big fan of the CV's Frontline, and this would have been a welcomed game in my ADAM collection had it been completed!

I checked out the Front Line Supergame on a real ADAM. Appearing first is the ADAM title screen, then the graphical Front Line title screen, then the game screen. It is in fact a non-playable demo. It shows a secured beach-front upon which an amphibious vehicle descends, and a helicopter flying overhead perhaps providing cover fire. Perhaps if this game was to be finished, my guess is that this would have been maybe level two, after the jungle level? The demo just repeats over and over again, there is sound, and any keypad button pauses the demo, and then any second keypad button un-pauses it. I'm a big fan of the CV's Frontline, and this would have been a welcomed game in my ADAM collection had it been completed!

Perhaps someone can finish it?

Tempest

I checked out Temple of Apshai (I already had the .dsk image) and my question is, how the hell do you move? I can get through the initial menus and into a level, but I can't move. If I use the direction arrows on the keyboard, or a controller, it simply changes the direction I'm facing, but doesn't actually move the character. Any thoughts?

I checked out Temple of Apshai (I already had the .dsk image) and my question is, how the hell do you move? I can get through the initial menus and into a level, but I can't move. If I use the direction arrows on the keyboard, or a controller, it simply changes the direction I'm facing, but doesn't actually move the character. Any thoughts?

Try pressing "8" on the keypad or keyboard. I was using AdamEm. I'd press F9 to switch to keyboard controls then press 8 to be able to move.

press T for sword thrust

G to get object

E examine

S search

O ylixer

The "alt" is used on AdamEm for shooting arrows.

Don't know about the ADAM version but in the Apple version you had to enter the amount of steps you wanted to take. Maybe it's one of the number keys?

Tempest

So that finally solves that mystery RE: Temple of Apshai. So that now officially gives us "Lord of the Dungeon" on cartridge and "Temple of Apshai" on datapack/disk as never officially released, but still "available" for the ColecoVision and Adam respectively as full RPGs. It looks like the upcoming homebrew of "Black Onyx" will make three. Of course I have no problem with throwing "Gateway to Apshai" in there as well to bring the total to three or four.

So that finally solves that mystery RE: Temple of Apshai. So that now officially gives us "Lord of the Dungeon" on cartridge and "Temple of Apshai" on datapack/disk as never officially released, but still "available" for the ColecoVision and Adam respectively as full RPGs. It looks like the upcoming homebrew of "Black Onyx" will make three. Of course I have no problem with throwing "Gateway to Apshai" in there as well to bring the total to three or four.

But none of these are available for us to buy correct? I'd like to play an RPG on the Coleco (Black Onyx or Lord of the Dungeon - note: no Adam for me so no Temple of Apshai) and these sound fun!

I guess for now... I will play some Gateway to Apshai.

Lord of the Dungeon was apparently available for a limited time in cartridge form at CGE 2000, but I don't know of many people who have one. There was talk of another run potentially, but that has not gone anywhere that I know of. Probably the biggest issue is that it's a battery backup cartridge (and would have been the first ever had it been released, some three years before Zelda), so it's probably not standard. I'm also not sure if it's 100% complete, though I believe the only reason why it wasn't released is that Probe 2000 wasn't able to stabilize the battery backup technology before the company went kaput. The only info that I know of on the modern day release is here:

http://www.digitpress.com/reviews/lordofdungeon_2.htm

And there's some more minor info here:

http://www.dieterkoenig.at/ccc/po/s_po_rexbattenberge.htm

All of the mystery regarding it sucks, but what can you do? I don't even recall ever seeing a ROM, though I doubt there's an emulator that could support the save structure anyway. On the plus side, at least we'll have Black Onyx, though it doesn't use a battery backup.

Of course I have no problem with throwing "Gateway to Apshai" in there as well to bring the total to three or four.

I'd call that more of an action RPG, but yeah I guess it counts.

Tempest

I agree, actually, particularly since it's very easy to cross the line into an action game when there are any major real-time elements in a so-called RPG. Still, it was always meant as a cartridge friendly version of "Temple of Apshai", so I wouldn't personally argue too much against the RPG moniker if someone really wanted to make the case. It's like calling "The Legend of Zelda" an RPG. Some do it, but it really isn't even though it shares some of the properties of one.